Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-24-2013, 03:49 AM   #21
shreddymcshred

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
The idea is to find the natural, relaxed position that gives you full range of motion.

If you have big hands perpendicular is actually sort of a strain. For me, it means tucking my thumb in and dropping my wrist, which is all kinds of funny angles and unnecessary tension. My grip is best with the thumb around 45 relative to the neck.

I agree that perfect perpendicularity isn't always possible and that a variance of up to 45 degrees is necessary at times.

However, I will bet that you do not have your neck at a 45 degree angle. If you did, the "spider mode" would be the most natural position ALL the time. When you have a 45 degree angle, the left hand wrist is nearly straight.

Why not just play in the most efficient and anatomically correct position all of the time?

Laziness. Sometimes you can get away with a lazy, inconsistent hand position.

Occam's razor: why learn two different hand positions and how to transition between them when you can learn one position that is both efficient and has wrist health in mind.
shreddymcshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #22
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddymcshred
Occam's razor: why learn two different hand positions and how to transition between them when you can learn one position that is both efficient and has wrist health in mind.

Oh for the love of... that's not what occam's razor is.

Occam's Razor is a principle that states that among competing hypotheses the one that makes the fewest assumptions is most likely to be true.

In principle I agree with what you're saying but so many people get that wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #23
shreddymcshred

^Thanks for the correction.
shreddymcshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #24
cdgraves

Obviously you should play with the best hand position available, but that's not always perpendicular. Depending where you are on the fretboard, whether you're sitting or standing, playing chords or shredding, you will make adjustments to your technique.

and it's not just the thumb angle, it's the position of the wrist. When you're playing a wide classical neck at chest height, it's easy to keep your wrist flat. When you're playing a narrower electric neck, especially standing up, your thumb can't sit perpendicular while keeping the wrist flat.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: