User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #9281
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

I have just the thing for you dthmtl3:

Your gratitude shown in my death

Cult of Fire's Čtvrtá Symfonie Ohně is a swell album.
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #9282
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmtl3
For me, a good DM band has to offer either rhythm, melodicity, or complexity or a combination of those. Plus a good br000tal sound. Nothing annoys me more than so many bands that offer nothing interesting and sound like heck.

Yea but how many bands have you heard that have all of those and still ****ing suck? I think it goes deeper than that but I'm probably just over complicating things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Lard
I will pray for your becoming with the Lord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATANIC_ASSHAIR
Azi Dahaka Has Been Summoned, Not Long Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocz
At this point id like to officialy curse you.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:41 PM   #9283
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL1NDSIDE-J
What separates a good DM band from a mediocre one for you guys? After all my years of listening it seems I'm still not any closer to figuring out why I like certain bands over others because it seems like every time it's something different that sets a band apart. Maybe it's stupid to even think about but I find it interesting.

This is a good question but somewhat muddled by putting the focus on bands. It would probably be better to focus on albums specifically, as many good bands can turn to shit and awful bands sometimes have one good album in them.

The best death metal albums tend to break from convention, even conventions of metal in some sense, to create terrifying abstract music. Since guitars are the lead 'voice' in metal and vocals are indiscernible, great death metal focuses all its energy into constructing a sequence of riffs that tell something like a story formed from impression of impact and atmosphere.

Sometimes (a good example would be Autopsy) the works of death metal bands resemble collections of spooky / horror stories. The type that might be found in anthology works. They are all similar in nature, despite being seemingly unrelated, and in aggregate have the effect of forcing you to confront the absolute sublime horror of death and the unknown / unknowable, placing man in his rightful place in a vast, cold, indifferent universe of abominations.

Also, gotta luv those chugga chugga riffs
NotFromANUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: