Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
mrLpaul123

2009 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top

Hello - I recently ran across a gold top Les Paul Traditional in a pawn shop. This particular guitar had a 2009 date on the back...but it had all chrome tuners on it. Does anyone know if they made a particular model like that in the factory? I haven't seen one with all chrome tuning pegs....I've seen them with chrome tuners and the plastic tuning pegs. Just trying to figure out if this guitar has been modified in any way. Also, the piece that covers the electronics (where the volume nad tone pots are) is a dark see through piece. Is this legit?? Thanks for any help in advance!
mrLpaul123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Sounds as if it has probably been modified slightly. I certainly haven't heard of a stock Gibson with a transparent electronics cavity cover.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
mrLpaul123

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
Sounds as if it has probably been modified slightly. I certainly haven't heard of a stock Gibson with a transparent electronics cavity cover.

Kinda what I thought also. Thanks EH!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
ne14t

Its had some upgrades, the control cavity cover probably got lost at one point or something and was replaced with something generic, you could get a new Gibson one and make it all proper again but you will pay out your butt for the "Authentic" Gibson piece. And it certainly sounds like it had a tuner change which is very common, the original tuners would have been vintage style Kluson tuners I bet, and some people don't like them they prefer the more modern Grovers or some guitarists that tune by ear on stage will use one style of tuner on all guitars so they know exactly how much to turn it without needing a tuner pedal. Again could be swapped back but if its not a collectible guitar it's not a big issue, plus I would use it to my advantage with the pawn shop, act like you want it stock and be like well the tuners have been changed and the control cavity cover isn't original, pause a second or two then say "I'll give you $XXX) and take $100 off what they are asking for the guitar.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Next: Fender Surf Green Stratocaster
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
mrLpaul123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14t
Its had some upgrades, the control cavity cover probably got lost at one point or something and was replaced with something generic, you could get a new Gibson one and make it all proper again but you will pay out your butt for the "Authentic" Gibson piece. And it certainly sounds like it had a tuner change which is very common, the original tuners would have been vintage style Kluson tuners I bet, and some people don't like them they prefer the more modern Grovers or some guitarists that tune by ear on stage will use one style of tuner on all guitars so they know exactly how much to turn it without needing a tuner pedal. Again could be swapped back but if its not a collectible guitar it's not a big issue, plus I would use it to my advantage with the pawn shop, act like you want it stock and be like well the tuners have been changed and the control cavity cover isn't original, pause a second or two then say "I'll give you $XXX) and take $100 off what they are asking for the guitar.

Thanks for your response!!! Sounds like good advice.

Rate This Thread: