Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Phatty

21 Day Method

Hey.

Ive been reading about the 21 day method, of perfect practice playing slowly with a metronome for 21 days then picking up speed.

I heard however that it can make you worse at some techniques.

For example, alternate picking using the 21 day method would make you worse at legato or sweep picking?

The main technique I want to work on is sweep picking, so would the 21 day method work for this?
Phatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
rabidguitarist
Ethnomusicologist

21 days? but i want it noooooooooowwwww
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
rabidguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
splice
crank that jessie jackson

yeah.....when your playing slow....your programming your fingers for when your going really fast.......it wont make any technique worse....its a good way to practice(the best imo).....so do the 21 day method.....for like the rest of your life
splice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
mangablade
UG Spammer

well using that theory, that 21 days of alt picking would make you worse at legato, would be true wether or not it was 21 days.

if you just focus on one thing for 21 days, obviously the thigns you havent practiced for 3 weeks are gonna need a litte brushing up on.

i found that for bass, i did something similair to the 21 day thing for 3 fingered picking, and my 2 fingered picking started to feel off rythmn for like a whole month. man was i pissed! my band members could see it too.

but then i just worked on my 2 fingers a lot for a little while, and they balanced out.

i think its just a matter of doing the 21 days of sweep picking (for you), but remember to do some alt picking/legato DURING that course.

i'd keep that 21 day training and my overall playing seperate. i just wouldnt use whatever technique/riff i do in the 21 day training in my overall playing.
mangablade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
BFI

like homer said,

"when i learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain, like that time i learned how to make my own wine and forgot how to drive"

every single technique and method are someone elses way of doing things, some will work for you, some wont.

I prefer James Hetfields approach "i never liked the word practice, its not fun"

90% of the time i just try and play and eventually my fingers will catch up with what im trying to do. Again it might not work for you, and i dont claim to be that good anyway.

i hate slowing things down, i just cant do it, i can play it fine at a slow tempo but then i speed it up and im like what, but if i just play it at speed over and over i can get it.

so at the end of that day, its all down to what works for you, but you're right for approaching other methods, you can never learn enough.
BFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
splice

this method will work for you......sue me if it doesnt...as long as you practice the right stuff right.....then your technique will increase alot
Old 04-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
slash_620
Drivin' at night

Does anyone really have the will to play everything at half speed with a metronome for 21 days?

I can barely do it for 21 seconds.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
splice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash_620
Does anyone really have the will to play everything at half speed with a metronome for 21 days?

I can barely do it for 21 seconds.

i do.....ive practiced like that for 75% of my playing career

its soooo worth it bc before i started this method i had trouble with songs like hell bells and purple haze.....i did nothing but that method and theory for half a year before returning to song learning and i can play basically anything i want now
Old 04-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
BFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by splice
this method will work for you......sue me if it doesnt...as long as you practice the right stuff right.....then your technique will increase alot

i know you are probably right, and im sure after 21 days it would work. but its quicker and more comfortable for me to just jump in at the deep end.

and much more fun.
BFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
Bob Sacamano

I've been doing this for a couple months now. I am not following it 100% strictly, but now whenever I am practicing, I play slowly and try not to focus on speed. I have seen a lot of progress since doing it. An overall increase of about 50bmp on the excercises I'm doing.

I think it's a solid way to practice. I am getting use to it now and don't struggle with playing slow. It makes things more accurate and makes me feel better about my playing since things are sounding correct -- just slower, as opposed to just practing at a fast tempo and hoping your fingers and brain someday catch up. I am relearning old riffs that I struggled with in the past and find them a lot easier now that i am slowly playing through them. You notice a lot of mistakes this way.

It's a good way to pracitice and I think the impatience and resistance from a lot of guitar players is why people get stuck at a certain level of playing and a lot seem to settle for it.
Bob Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #11
splice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFI
i know you are probably right, and im sure after 21 days it would work. but its quicker and more comfortable for me to just jump in at the deep end.

and much more fun.

the reason its 21 days is because it takes the human brain 20 days to break a habit....so to get the most use out of it you should practice at a slow pace daily with one or two techniques....then after the 21 days practice all the exercises and not just ones on specific techniques...
Old 08-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
vlada92

Quote:
Originally Posted by splice
the reason its 21 days is because it takes the human brain 20 days to break a habit....so to get the most use out of it you should practice at a slow pace daily with one or two techniques....then after the 21 days practice all the exercises and not just ones on specific techniques...

is it true or you just want something to fast-replay?

Last edited by vlada92 : 08-18-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: forgot to type "?"
vlada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
KevinGoetz
Mute Prophet Guitarist

It's...partially true. Mostly untrue, though. For anyone interested, that phenomenon is explored in greater depth here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/20...ak_a_habit.html

TL;DR, it's somewhat true, but nowhere near true enough to base an entire practice method around. In my opinion, it's better to practice in the most enjoyable way possible, to keep some dopamine in your brain and form an association between practice and happiness. The problem with a rigid schedule like this, is that it causes you to see it as work. This is suicide for your motivation to do it.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
vlada92

Thx for response, but.. finding a new ways for practise is good for me. I like to practise becouse I see my self somewhere in front of the stage playing guitar without mistake and with a soul.

Also.. playing slow alows you to acualy feel and see the "backstage" of that riff or song youre playing, metrics comes with time and practise.

Rate This Thread: