Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Omninick

Unhappy Reaching a block in Guitar

(Sorry if the title wasn't clear, i'm not sure how to word it.)

Yeah, so I have been practicing lightly for a while now and have reached a block in my guitar learning. I know basic chords, some simple rhythm progressions, etc. But I have found myself stuck now because I only know 1 scale, of which I don't know the name and have no idea about how to go about learning because of the vast range of knowledge there is and how unclear it is as to what order you should learn it in. Any help would be great
Omninick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

learn some music

it would be foolish to try and write a novel before you can read one

Last edited by Hail : 05-06-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Start here.

http://www.musictheory.net/ -- Hit up the lessons section.

inb4 "I don't need music theory"

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
skilly1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omninick
(Sorry if the title wasn't clear, i'm not sure how to word it.)

Ahhh, I thought you had a blocked guitar. Yeah take it one step at a time, I'm sure most ppl had the same thoughts when they where starting out learning new things
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
StuartBahn

This get's said a lot but you really need to get a teacher. Don't settle for any old guy, try a few and go with someone you respect and who you really feel has a lot to offer. Online stuff is fantastic but you can't beat a lesson in person.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
luvs2gro
Ug's Botan

Start simple, learn the major scale inside and out and truly familiarize yourself with it, try to learn something new every day, or maybe every week, but make sure you understand what you have learned before moving on to something else. Maybe make a goal to learn all the chords, A, B, C, D, E, F, and G, and be able to cleanly play them by memory, then learn all the minor chords, then maybe 7 chords. It may help you to buy some books on guitar playing but having a teacher would help a lot too, just as stuart said dont just pick the first guy you see find some one who is down to earth about helping you on your journey as a musician, and has a solid curriculum. and practice practice practice. try learning your favorite songs, or maybe learn techniques from genres you don't normally play

Rate This Thread: