Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
fte85

What are the dos and donts of posting musician classified ads?

Hey im new to the site and wanted to hear some of your opinions on this. Can you say either too much or too little when posting a classified ad? What would turn a person away from replying to your ads? What really catches your attention when you are going through them? My ads on kijiji can go up to like 500 views. I get one reply from a guy whos married and can't commit to a project if im lucky. I have tried several different approaches and don't have much luck finding people. The odd thing is whenever I have been in a band before I got nothing but compliments from my band mates. I have been straight forward and to the point, informative about my skills and what i want in a band, bitter and sarcastic, or just plain funny. It makes me kind of take a good look at myself and say maybe im the problem. Maybe I come off as too cocky or something or maybe the internet is just the worst place to look. Are we getting to a level now where every kid fresh out of highschool just wants to pick up an acoustic guitar and sing some American Idol type music? There are those guys, then theres the 50 year old dude thats married and can only jam once a month but theres never just a person around my age who is hungry for this. You guys tell me. Maybe im the problem and I wanna know about it.
fte85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Here are some threads on the issue. I've quoted a couple of Alan's posts, because those are the ones you want to read;

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru....php?p=30155416
show

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...16#post30155416

show

And learn to paragraph.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
fte85

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
Here are some threads on the issue. I've quoted a couple of Alan's posts, because those are the ones you want to read;

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru....php?p=30155416
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...16#post30155416

show

And learn to paragraph.

Ok

thanks
those posts were

interesting

tew.

read.
fte85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Learning how to spell and punctuate wouldn't do any harm either.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
PSimonR
PSR

I think you worry too much. Just put the adds in and state what you want in terms of commitment etc.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Green_Ghoul

Sorry to hijack, but the second "spoiler" had one where it said that listing bands is close-minded...Is that the case if it's like "here are a few bands that have influenced me -- xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx"?

That's what I have done in the past for my ads and have gotten very few replies. Usually it was something like:
show

Then I talk about goals/whatever, like gigging in the next few months or whatever. Usually my only replies are from deathmetal/hardcore/postcore people looking for a guitarist that plays in drop C tuning. They say "hey man, if you want to play some br00tal with us, give me a shout" or from older people that are significantly more experienced than I am "Hi, I'm a 47 year old guitarist that has been playing for 35 years and professionally gigging for 25 years. I like the smiths and think that you do too...why don't you come over"

I have a lot of bad luck due to the saturation of hardcore people and older people on craigslist. I'm not close minded or anything, I just have a hard time expressing myself musically in more 'popular' genres. I try not to generalize what I play when I list genres, it's just what the music I write sounds like to me.

Again, sorry to hijack. I didn't want to make a new thread on a similar topic.
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ yes it's the same for any list of bands you put in your ad, except if it's a cover band of course.

It says "hi there, even though I do not have a band yet I expect it to sound like the following bands". Nice. Why would I want to play with someone like that? Usually it's a genre that starts with "post" as well.

Why not just just play with other people and see what sound results from it? You may find along the way that you actuall ybenoy playing country or 50s rock covers in addition to post-punk.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Green_Ghoul

would it be better to have sound clips in addition to the list of bands so they can be like "ooh baby what a piece" instead of "uck, i HATE SHOEGAZE. stop posting here!" like what one guy said to me? there was "what the f" before "uck"

It really brought me down so I stopped posting advertisements on craigslist because of it.
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte85
Hey im new to the site and wanted to hear some of your opinions on this. Can you say either too much or too little when posting a classified ad? What would turn a person away from replying to your ads?

What turns me off are people who don't post their goals. I want to know what they want to achieve, how seriously they want to take it, etc. If they don't say, I assume they don't know. I don't respond.

Arrogance turns me off. A lack of a demo of some sort turns me off. Pretentiousness.

Quote:
What really catches your attention when you are going through them?

I want an ad then that does the opposite of what I said above:
-states the band's goal, priority, focus.
-a link to a demo, etc. of something someone does.
-people who seem easy to get along with

Quote:
My ads on kijiji can go up to like 500 views. I get one reply from a guy whos married and can't commit to a project if im lucky.

Note to self: make sure you mention in your ad that you are only interested in people who are willing to make a commitment to the project.

Quote:
Maybe I come off as too cocky or something

That'll do it.

Quote:
or maybe the internet is just the worst place to look.

Trust me. It's among the best places to look. Second only to your network of people you already know.

Quote:
Are we getting to a level now where every kid fresh out of highschool just wants to pick up an acoustic guitar and sing some American Idol type music? There are those guys, then theres the 50 year old dude thats married and can only jam once a month

The fact that these are the people who respond tells me that you need to be more clear about what you're looking for.

Quote:
but theres never just a person around my age who is hungry for this.

Do you put your age in the ad? Personally, at 43, I would not respond to an ad put out by a 17-year-old kid. However, if I was a 17-year-old kid, I'd not respond to an ad put out by a 43-year-old old man. Putting even your approximate age in the ad right away starts weeding people out that you won't be interested in.

Getting responses is only half the battle. Weeding through them is the other half.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Sorry for the double-post, but here is a post I made in a similar thread:

Do you have a demo? That's the first step towards proving yourself. Even if it is just a youtube video of you cranking out in your room. If someone who is a few years older (say, 20-ish) dials in and sees that you can really play, he/she may well be interested. If all they have to go on is that you're 17 and have been playing for three years and your mom says you're really good, then you really can't blame them for being less than enthusiastic.

That, and get out there where musicians are hanging out. Meet those people who ARE out there and doing it, and make connections. Be sure that they know you can play (like that YOuTube demo or whatever) and they will have you in mind when a buddy of theirs quits his band and wants to start a new one, or when a buddy of theirs needs a guitarist.

Also, establish something that sets you apart from the other legions of 17-year-old metal guitarists. Be that person who is willing and able to do backup vocals, or that person who is interested in helping to write (and has songs that he has written as evidence of that), or hell, even the person who has a PA and a jam space at his house.

----------------------------------------------------------

If you are vague, you will get 40 people responding to your ad. Once you exchange an email or a phone call with each of them, you've spent about three hours going through all that crap only to find out that only two of them are really what you're looking for. Screw that.

My solution is to be specific about:

-what you are
-your goals
-what you're looking for
-what you offer
-what you expect

Sure, you might only get four responses, but that's better. That just means that you've successfully weeded out the other 36 who might otherwise have applied that weren't right for the project anyways!

Here was our most recent ad looking for a guitarist, just for example:

Quote:
Experienced musicians looking for guitarist for Green Day tribute.

We are looking for a guitarist to carry what effectively amounts to the lead guitar duties for 21st Century Breakdown. Although Green Day is a 3-piece band ‘on record’, they tour with an extra guitar player for their live show. Ideally, candidates would be able to provide backing vocals, as that is often an important part of the Green Day sound.

I have:

• No ego, attitude, pretensions.
• Experience:
* Live – played Westside Concert Theatre, Main Stage at It’s Your Festival, various clubs; live radio performance on CFMU
* Media – repeat exposure on CHTV, Y108, campus radio, etc.
* Roles – lead singer, lead guitarist, manager, webmaster, primary songwriter, recording engineer for my original band, Now-Here-This for the last four years. (various other bands since ’86)
* Recording – released full-length original CD in 2006.
• Formal training – degree in classical guitar and ten years vocal instruction, which allows me to sing without wearing out my voice.

I am:

• Non-smoker and Drug free
• Casual drinker
• Easy to work with; Laid back
• Late 30’s

I am a dad and have a demanding full time job (straight days, basically) which means that I don't depend on music for my income, but also that music is necessarily worked around my work and family commitments. (which has never been a problem)

The drummer and bass player are similar in all respects.

We commit ourselves to a practice schedule of roughly once per week. You can expect us to show up with out homework done, and we expect the same from you. We would like to gig once or twice every month or every other month - regular, but not rigorous.

I sing and can play lead guitar. I can do rhythm and/or lead, and can sing and play at the same time. However, if you do the lead parts, you'll have more fun and I will be able to focus more on performing. I would be willing to work towards looking like Billie Joe (hair, makeup) for greater effect at gigs. My voice naturally sounds close enough to his that I could easily be believable. Unfortunately, I have no samples of me singing any Green Day tunes. This is a relatively new idea that we thought might be fun.

For more info and audio samples, check www.now-here-this.com.

Also listen to my old cover band from around 2004:
http://www.now-here-this.com/shine.mp3
http://www.now-here-this.com/betterman.mp3
http://www.now-here-this.com/comedown.mp3

Our primary goal is to have fun and make good music with good musicians (not necessarily virtuosos), and good people.

If you are interested in what we have to offer, and are interested in checking out this idea, please either email:

xxxx@21stCenturyBreakdown.ca

or call:

289-440-xxxx - Hamilton area (Chris)

(905)-790-xxxx - Brampton/Toronto area (Jerry)

We'll chat and take it from there.

Or a more recent example, from only a few months ago:

Quote:
Available: experienced, trained guitarist with vocals

Alright. Enough already. It's been almost two years since I've been in a band and can't take it anymore. Time to plug in and turn up.

Basically, I'm looking for "crowd pleaser" kinds of covers. No mouldy-oldie Sweet Home Alabama, Roadhouse Blues, Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Lots of classic rock is perfectly fine - just not a steady diet of the same old stuff that was already beaten-to-a-miserable-death 20 years ago.

Ideally, catchy melodies and big guitars. Think Collective Soul, AC/DC, Boston, Nirvana, Jimmy Eat World, American Hi-Fi, Rage Against the Machine, April Wine, Bowling for Soup, Alice in Chains, OK Go, Sloan, The Cult, Foo Fighters, Doughboys, CCR, Everclear, Stabbing Westward, Gin Blossoms, Goo Goo Dolls, Green Day, James Gang, Matthew Sweet, Bon Jovi, Odds, Offspring, Soul Asylum, Weezer, Weakerthans, etc. Much, much more.

I'd like it to be a gigging project, but not a busy project - once a month kind of thing, with weekly rehearsals. Low pressure, with the focus on having fun with a good group of people.

Highlights:
honours degree in classical guitar
played live-to-air on CHCH TV (est. 80 000 people)
played as an accompanist at Bulldogs’ Game at Copp’s Coliseum (est. 8 000 people)
invited to open for Helix, Pursuit of Happiness, 54-40, Illuminati, and Dave Rave.
played in cover band at Ti-Cat game at Ivor Wynne Stadium (est. 5 000 people)
played in original band on main stage at It’s Your Festival (est. 3 000 people)
played various clubs in Hamilton and Toronto (and various other cities and towns from Niagara to North Bay) including El Mocambo, Westside Concert Theater, Corktown, Absinthe, Casbah, etc.
played lead guitar, sang, and recorded a CD that got played on CHCH TV, Y108, various campus and community media
easy-going personality and professional disposition; no ego

Samples of my playing (and vocals) can be heard at:
http://www.now-here-this.com/RiseAbove.mp3
http://www.now-here-this.com/RemoveMe.mp3
http://www.now-here-this.com/Picture.mp3

More (including bio, etc.) at....
www.now-here-this.com
If interested, please either call or text 289-440-xxxx or email xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com. Thanks!

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.

Last edited by axemanchris : 04-17-2013 at 11:48 PM.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: