Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Cover Songs
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
TheGarglepuss

Cool Hear my Train a Comin' Badass Jam

----->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0chlNgeCWI<-----

Me and the band going ape shit on Hear my Train a Comin' by Jimi Hendrix, you're gonna love it, trust me, feel free to tell me what you think of it
TheGarglepuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
caw1
have guitar will travel

Sounds like no version of "hear my train a comin" by hendrix I've ever heard.

Keep practicing.

FB https://www.facebook.com/cody.whited.5
YT http://www.youtube.com/user/codyawhited
caw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
TheGarglepuss

haha, care to elaborate a little, it was just a jam, not trying to do an exact cover man
Old 06-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

So what, exactly, is "badass" supposed to mean here?
Old 06-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
TheGarglepuss

badass=cool
Old 06-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

I thought it meant "generic and uninspired". There's nothing interesting going on here. Yeah, you're decently tight, but there's no emotion, no substance, no reason to watch. Just going through the motions, sticking it up on the internet, and hoping people will remark on the unremarkable.
Like that other guy said, keep practicing. You can use phrases like "badass" and "you're gonna love it, trust me", when you've earned them.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
TheGarglepuss

okay man, calm down a little and im looking for some constructive criticism, not relentless bashing haha
Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
caw1
have guitar will travel

We are giving you constructive criticism, man.

Not to be an ass but let me explain to you the difference.
Quote:
I thought it meant "generic and uninspired". There's nothing interesting going on here. Yeah, you're decently tight, but there's no emotion, no substance, no reason to watch. Just going through the motions, sticking it up on the internet, and hoping people will remark on the unremarkable.
Like that other guy said, keep practicing. You can use phrases like "badass" and "you're gonna love it, trust me", when you've earned them.

Quote:
Sounds like no version of "hear my train a comin" by hendrix I've ever heard.

Keep practicing.

These are constructive statements. Analyze yourself, man.

Does this sound like "Hear my train a coming" (any version of it) by Jimi Hendrix.?

NO.

Does it make me wanna go "ape shit", do I feel its "badass", do "I love it"?

NO.

Now here's some destructive criticism.

You have a few skills, you can play quickly, ya know how to stay in key. But there's more to being a guitar player thank just being a classic guitar wanker. You inflated your ego to think that you just killed it in this video and I hate to break it to you, but ya didn't. Your bass player looks confused, and may be the only one playing anything close to hear my train a coming. Your drummers good, but he's kinda sloppy and it just feels like he plays as hard as he can constantly. It sounds nothing like hear my train a coming, based on that it sucks a fat one, and you look like your just dying for some one to pay attention to you and your band mates. We aren't here to stroke your ego, not one ****ing bit. Ya want the truth then I can give it to you, it sucks, and needs major improvement, I give it a 3.5.. out of 100.

If you had posted this as an "original song/jam" and didn't associate it with the words, Hendrix, Badass, Love it, and ape shit I would feel like it wasn't bad, but it needs mixed better, shot better, and played more structured so it makes sense, your just making noise in key here. and give it a 7.. out of 100.

Shooting covers you need to pay attention to all aspects. Playing well isn't the only thing. There's the shot, the lighting, the feel, camera work (if its got multiple shots, or if its actually like a music video with action and a story/ theme).

Here's how its done by the way. In the first section of results on the first page of youtube under "Hear my train a coming jimi hendrix cover" and they even call it a tribute not a cover because they know they arent doing it exactly note for not how jimi did it.

100% note for note = Cover
75% note for note = jam
50% note for note = improv
<50% = Suck.

Hope that's elaborate enough...

Old 06-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

I'd like to add that if you post mediocre work and expect to be treated like the second coming of Stravinsky for it, this forum isn't for you.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
caw1
have guitar will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
I'd like to add that if you post mediocre work and expect to be treated like the second coming of Stravinsky for it, this forum isn't for you.

+1

Old 07-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
TheGarglepuss

alright fair enough, fair enough, particularly that day i was going too crazy, sometimes i go way too crazy, but im usually not that ridiculous haha, here is this more like it,
---->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9vuQVKz_GI<----
Old 07-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
catempire
yawn...

What a pack of wankers. It really isn't too bad. Not amazing obviously, but it seems like you guys are having fun jamming and are reasonable tight. Keep having fun, just be a bit more creative with it. It is fucking stupid to analyse music based on how it is described - whether you talk it up or talk it down, the performance (or should I say the song?) remains the same. The idea that a performance has to be 100% note for note to be a cover is also ridiculous, especially when we're talking about a Hendrix song - he certainly didn't go note for note when he covered All Along the Watchertower, Killing Floor, Sgt Peppers, Mannish Boy... well, anything really.

I love you more than life itself.

Last edited by catempire : 07-03-2013 at 08:45 AM.
catempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
caw1
have guitar will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by catempire
The idea that a performance has to be 100% note for note to be a cover is also ridiculous, especially when we're talking about a Hendrix song - he certainly didn't go note for note when he covered All Along the Watchertower, Killing Floor, Sgt Peppers, Mannish Boy... well, anything really.

Actually Hendrix him self accepted that those were "loose jams" not covers. And When your as good a Jimi, you can do what you want.

And my response to your "wankers" insult...

Why ya gotta call names like a child?

What part of this song sounds like Hear my train a coming (since your so obviously well versed in the music of Jimi Hendrix)?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
catempire
yawn...

After you little tirade I don't think you're in a position to take the moral high ground. 'Wanker' has a very clear meaning and your behaviour is consistent with it. I never said it was a great performance - it's not - but nothing warranted the kind of sneering negativity in your post. This website shouldn't become like the youtube comments section. 'When you're as good as Hendrix you can do what you want' is also a feeble argument. Everyone should have the option of being creative. It either sounds good or it doesn't. If you don't like what he plays, that's fine, but why not give him specific criticism? Why not at least attempt to encourage other guitarists?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
The idea that a performance has to be 100% note for note to be a cover is also ridiculous, especially when we're talking about a Hendrix song - he certainly didn't go note for note when he covered All Along the Watchertower, Killing Floor, Sgt Peppers, Mannish Boy... well, anything really.

This is true.
But, being different from the original, and improving on the original, are two very different things.
This particular jam has nothing new to add. It sounds like some guy practicing improvisation over a riff or two from a Hendrix song, which is what it is. You're comparing a glorified warm-up that someone decided the whole internet should see, to inventive, fresh "covers" that defined music. That's like comparing a Celldweller remix to some guy who just got Massive and tried to cover "Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites". I hope you realize why that sounds silly.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 07-03-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #16
catempire
yawn...

I totally agree with those criticisms of this performance - there's some mindless noodling and not much structure going on but THAT is what we should be criticising and offering advice about, not offering silly advice like '100% note for note = Cover, <50% = Suck' as if music is some mathematical exercise. I'm all for offering a critique focussing on the quality of the performance, but whether it's different or not is unimportant. These guys seem like they are ok musicians, having fun and getting (perhaps a little too) excited about what they're playing. They aren't great, but they're pretty innocuous.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
caw1
have guitar will travel

Quote:
not offering silly advice like '100% note for note = Cover, <50% = Suck' as if music is some mathematical exercise.

I was simply station my opinion as far as how I view things. This is not a formula for anything this is simply my opinion on how to describe a cover/jam/improv over a tune.

But again, I stand and say what part of this song sounds like "hear my train a coming"?

None of it.

Rate This Thread: