Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #13101
steve_muse
UG Resident

Is there a difference between transhumanism and posthumansism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
I hope you guys realize that HTML\jsp can be easily manipulated in your browser, so there is no real way to confirm that this conversation happened.
steve_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #13102
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse
Is there a difference between transhumanism and posthumansism?

I'm a little fuzzy on it. From what I understand, transhumanism is advancing humans enough where they're in a state between human and beyond human. The ultimate goal of transhumanism would be to attain the state of being posthuman. So I could point to shit like the Deus Ex games for transhumanism then to stuff like the Borg or space marines from Warhammer 40k as posthuman. I think Borg might still be transhuman but right at the cusp of post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #13103
steve_muse
UG Resident

Oh I see. Are you familiar with Donna Haraway's Cyborg Manifesto?

I think a lot of the theory on posthumansism will still be relevant for trans cos of their similar nature.

Quote:
I hope you guys realize that HTML\jsp can be easily manipulated in your browser, so there is no real way to confirm that this conversation happened.

Last edited by steve_muse : 05-01-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #13104
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Oh I see. Are you familiar with Donna Haraway's Cyborg Manifesto?

I think a lot of the theory on posthumansism will still be relevant for trans cos of their similar nature.

Nope. I've had a growing interest recently and most of my scholarly work is focused on pop culture so it's a perfection combination for me. I'll be finding books to read before my research period so I have a head start. I'll probably use it as a conference paper as well to get a ten page test run

Quote:
brot pls
Old 05-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #13105
steve_muse
UG Resident

Cool. Sounds exciting. I'm gunna do a masters next year, my uni just created a fantasy literature course. The guy convening it is the best. gunna save money this year tho

Quote:
Old 05-01-2015, 03:08 PM   #13106
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Cool. Sounds exciting. I'm gunna do a masters next year, my uni just created a fantasy literature course. The guy convening it is the best. gunna save money this year tho

I'm taking fantasy lit for the second time because it's stacked. took it as an undergrad and again as a grad because it's easy. The teacher was awesome but he's gone downhill a lot.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 05-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #13107
steve_muse
UG Resident

It was a 4th year course here too but it wasn't available this year cos the guy was on leave working on creating the masters programme still, I did a great sci fi course instead. What happened to yer teacher?

Quote:
Old 05-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #13108
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
It was a 4th year course here too but it wasn't available this year cos the guy was on leave working on creating the masters programme still, I did a great sci fi course instead. What happened to yer teacher?

Part of it is I took it two years ago so I've learned a lot more and he seems to have just checked out. He was my adviser for my final project because it was over a Fantasy series. I'd send him a draft asking what I need to improve or expand on etc. and I'd get "keep doing what you're doing". So I sent it to another faculty member who gave me tons of comments. He added Lord Byron's Novel to the Fantasy Lit course just because of how intertextual it is. It's not really Fantasy at all. Then we spent like half the class watching bullshit videos for way too long and barely talked about it. We spent more time on Men At Arms and Stormfront than Name of the Wind because he likes them more. Name of the Wind is twice the length and complexity of those two though.

I just don't feel like he performs to the standard he should.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 05-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #13109
Krieger91
I Sold The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate-slash
I'm seeing King mentioned, so I'll just add that I finished 11/22/63 a little while back, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not horror or fantasy or whatever (though it has a bit of time travel in it), and it's basically an alternate history set in the US in the late fifties/early sixties.

Apparently there's also talk of a TV series adaptation starring James Franco, so I'm very interested to see how that works out

I've been wanting to read that as well.

Also, I read somewhere that when the time travel happens, the character meets up with some of the characters of the Losers Club from IT (The childhood stage of that book is set in 1958) so that's awesome.

And still insists
He sees the ghosts
Krieger91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #13110
steve_muse
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
Part of it is I took it two years ago so I've learned a lot more and he seems to have just checked out. He was my adviser for my final project because it was over a Fantasy series. I'd send him a draft asking what I need to improve or expand on etc. and I'd get "keep doing what you're doing". So I sent it to another faculty member who gave me tons of comments. He added Lord Byron's Novel to the Fantasy Lit course just because of how intertextual it is. It's not really Fantasy at all. Then we spent like half the class watching bullshit videos for way too long and barely talked about it. We spent more time on Men At Arms and Stormfront than Name of the Wind because he likes them more. Name of the Wind is twice the length and complexity of those two though.

I just don't feel like he performs to the standard he should.

Oh I get it. He's a fake fantasist, ashamed to champion its greatness. Thankfully my dude recognises that stuff before like 1780 isn't really fantasy in the meaningful sense that it is now, so that's why he's not including Beowolf and stuff. Which is good cos I mean 1950s onward is when the flood happens and arguably the more interesting uses of the mode come in.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: