Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Cover Songs
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
plangentmusic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Bass Playing a Piano Concerto


Last edited by plangentmusic : 11-10-2012 at 11:10 PM.
plangentmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge
 
KG6_Steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Neither here nor there.
This video has been removed by the user.

All I get is static.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
plangentmusic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
This video has been removed by the user.

All I get is static.



Try again -- I believe it's working now. Thanks.
plangentmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge
 
KG6_Steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Neither here nor there.
Not real crazy about this one. When the bass is made to sit center stage and be the premier instrument, to me, it just doesn't satisfy. The single-notedness of the bass in this example is a lot like some of the turkey I've eaten at Thanksgiving time - a little on the dry side.

The bass player did attempt to liven it up a little by introducing some quick runs, but at the end of the day, it's still just a single-note instrument. Now, before I get blasted by some of the dedicated bass players in this forum, let me say I have heard some interesting bass solos. This topic has come up before and my stance has always been that bass, by itself, is boring. I have seen some examples of bass playing that was actually quite good. Unfortunately, this just isn't one of them that gets me on the edge of my seat.

Now, having said all that.... I suppose you are a bass player. As a guitar player, I am interested in learning bass and plan to buy one in the next year.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
plangentmusic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Not real crazy about this one. When the bass is made to sit center stage and be the premier instrument, to me, it just doesn't satisfy. The single-notedness of the bass in this example is a lot like some of the turkey I've eaten at Thanksgiving time - a little on the dry side.

The bass player did attempt to liven it up a little by introducing some quick runs, but at the end of the day, it's still just a single-note instrument. Now, before I get blasted by some of the dedicated bass players in this forum, let me say I have heard some interesting bass solos. This topic has come up before and my stance has always been that bass, by itself, is boring. I have seen some examples of bass playing that was actually quite good. Unfortunately, this just isn't one of them that gets me on the edge of my seat.

Now, having said all that.... I suppose you are a bass player. As a guitar player, I am interested in learning bass and plan to buy one in the next year.


A: I played all the instruments on the track.

B: A bass can play more than one not at a time and it does here.

C: The original melody is a single note one.

However, If you like guitar and bass, this may be more to your liking.

Last edited by plangentmusic : 11-11-2012 at 11:42 PM.
plangentmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge
 
KG6_Steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Neither here nor there.
I guess I kind of see the bass as more of a support instrument - playing the bass line of a song and relieving me from having to do it on guitar.

I do like the second one better. The expressiveness of the guitar really livens it up. And you are correct - a bass can play more than one note at a time. Most of the stuff I listen to is dominated by the bass playing a single note.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
plangentmusic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
I guess I kind of see the bass as more of a support instrument - playing the bass line of a song and relieving me from having to do it on guitar.

I do like the second one better. The expressiveness of the guitar really livens it up. And you are correct - a bass can play more than one note at a time. Most of the stuff I listen to is dominated by the bass playing a single note.


That's fine. But that doesn't mean an artist shouldn't try new things. In the working world the guitar player plays rhythm 99% of the time and usually solos only about 15 seconds a set. That doesn't mean he should never do it.
plangentmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge
 
KG6_Steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Neither here nor there.
Agreed. I still like the second song better than the first. Good job and keep recording! Best of luck!
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.