Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
patriotplayer90

Small Amps+Humbuckers=Ice picks?

I currently have two small amps(20> watts), and they shoot daggers of ice at my ears when I reach high volumes. It is mainly with humbucker-equipped guitars, as my tele seems to not have this effect on them and actually sounds wonderful. Strange, considering how bright they are and are usually equated with ice picks.

Then when i plug into my 50 watt amp, the humbuckers sound magical and the tele sounds thin and like a horse's ass. What gives?

Is it per design that small amps attack you with such unpleasant sonic frequencies to punish you for not buying the premium, flagship model?
patriotplayer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

I'm sure the actual models of the amps have nothing to do with it, and aren't worth mentioning here.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
patriotplayer90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I'm sure the actual models of the amps have nothing to do with it, and aren't worth mentioning here.

Jet City JCA2112rc, Vox AC4. I also recall an Egnater Tweaker particularly sounding like ass. This is through various speakers and cabs as well.
patriotplayer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Roc8995

There's no particular reason why a small amp should have more treble, outside of maybe if it uses a smaller speaker/cab in a combo, or is just a cheaper practice amp voiced primarily for quieter use. If there's any correlation between size and brightness I'd guess it's incidental.

I think what you're describing is an anecdote rather than any useful or meaningful experience. The AC4 for example is supposed to be very bright. The JCA is also on the bright side of things. Their bigger counterparts aren't a whole lot darker.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
I think what you're describing is an anecdote rather than any useful or meaningful experience.

+1

I've heard high wattage and low wattage amps do the 'ice pick' thing with humbuckers.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: