Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
fr0z3n1337

newbie investing on gear (cheap route)

Hi guys, I've had my guitar for over 3 years now though Im still not good at it because I seldom use it in the past. My guitar is just an ibanez jumpstart pack (GSA 6). I mainly listen to rock music (metal, hardcore, punk, alternative rock) and also like to play those kind of sounds. As of now I can play mostly open and power chords and I still lack most of the essential skills needed to play those kinds of music, thus calling myself still a newbie.

Im only self taught, I dont have most of my friends with me now so Im on my own now, This is also the reason why Im into playing my guitar again. I have some video lessons that Im following and also been playing songs that I can play. Im also planning on buying some gears to make learning the guitar more fun. I know my guitar is just a low class, nato body and cheap hardware and the 15W amp that comes with it is also not good but thats all I have. I've been planning to buy a vypyr but I dropped that plan. I'm here to ask for suggestions and some thoughts.

My plan is to buy a Digitech rp255 (around $190) or the rp355 (around $265). It'll take me 1 to 2 months to save for me to be able to buy those. I wanted this to explore and experiment on more sounds (though I know should still focus on learning the basics of guitar playing) but it'll make playing and learning more enjoyable. I'm planning to use my amp as a speaker for the pedal for the meantime (through the aux input) while I don't have a dedicated moitor or speaker. Should I get the rp255 to save around $75 or the rp355 because it seems like it's the best bang for the bucks between that 2 mfx?

My next plan is to buy a set of studio monitor, something like this: (http://kurzweil.com/product/ks-40a/) which is sold here for about $115. The $75 that i'll save if i'll buy the rp255 will help alot for me to buy these. Somebody told me here already that I should go for a larger size of woofer, at least 10" and above but I won't be able to afford those yet. Will the pedal will really sound bad on these kind of speakers. My plan before is to buy the M-Audio AV30 but I've read some good reviews about that kurzweil. It will also be used as a speaker for my PC and also when listening to music. By the time I'll buy a set of speaker I can try it on different types or brands though only this kind of speakers fits my budget for now. I also saw some stage monitors w/ 10" - 12" woofers and just around $150 - $250, about the price of studio monitors with 6.5" woofers. I would also like to ask whats the difference between those two (stage and studio) aside from the stage is directed upwards? and also between a 12" stage monitor and a pair of 6.5" studio monitor, w/c of the two is more recommended for using multifx pedals?

BTW I only earn ~$200 per month so money is really an issue, will this kind of setup work? after this I'm planning to upgrade my guitar, maybe buy a pickup first as I wont be able to save up for a new guitar easily and when I does, I guess I can only go with a $400-$500 guitar. Does upgrading the pickup will make a noticable difference in the setup I've stated above? TIA.
fr0z3n1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i read most of it then decided to stop.

i teach lessons, i don't advise effect processors to students that would be of your level (mostly teach new or newer players anywhere from 13 to mid 60's), a lot of them get wrapped up playing in tone and not being productive enough as far as practice goes.

if they are learning at a typical rate 6 months in plus or minus a little bit (everybody is different) i usually let them borrow my processor for a week to see what they can do. surprisingly i have had very different results. from one guy he said he plugged it in and set it up and he came to the conclusion himself that he didn't use it hardly at all because he felt that it was taking time away from his practicing and general learning. most like it and are excited to get one. typically at that point i would recommend a used Vypyr tube 60 (i will get hold of a good unit for them).

the vypyr is a happy medium based on standalone basis. i don't even know if any of them have gotten a sanpera or not.

if you are disciplined enough to not get wrapped up in it and not practicing it is a fun tool. but it can go the other way.

that is just me as i teach. i teach differently for every student, and i am sure other people teach their own ways.

but new gear is fun so its up to you and can be a good motivator if used correctly.

good luck.

i am sure there will be a wall of disagreement underneath me.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
ragingkitty
meow?

In theory, modeler + PA can be a very good setup.

However, why don't you put your money for a pickup towards a better modeler like a Pod HD, or Pod HD400 / HD500?

I personally think that the Pod HD range have better sounding amp models than the Digitech range.

Why I'd do it this way is because in terms of overall sound, a better modeler would contribute more towards a good tone than a pickup. A pickup would affect things like the frequency response, dynamics... things you'd tweak after you get your base sound down. In contrast, a better amp modeler would directly impact your overall tone, rather than just aspects of the tone.

EDIT: trashedlostfdup makes a very good point about the learning curve and effort involved in modelers.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.

Last edited by ragingkitty : 04-18-2013 at 02:16 AM.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
In theory, modeler + PA can be a very good setup.

However, why don't you put your money for a pickup towards a better modeler like a Pod HD, or Pod HD400 / HD500?

I personally think that the Pod HD range have better sounding amp models than the Digitech range.

Why I'd do it this way is because in terms of overall sound, a better modeler would contribute more towards a good tone than a pickup. A pickup would affect things like the frequency response, dynamics... things you'd tweak after you get your base sound down. In contrast, a better amp modeler would directly impact your overall tone, rather than just aspects of the tone.

EDIT: trashedlostfdup makes a very good point about the learning curve and effort involved in modelers.

big +1 to kitty. i am really impressed by the POD HD series. and i only played the HD300, (it was the only one on demo for some reason) and it was pretty awesome.

if i were new and had a budget and didn't own all of the gear i do for now, i would probably do a MFX into wedge or get a vypyr tube 60 with the sanpera II. either way you have a great deal of flexibility.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
fr0z3n1337

Thanks guys. trashedlostfdup really did have a good point, and I would like to thank him for his concerns specially about practicing...

It's been 3 years since I had my guitar and really wanted to play ever since Im young and been into rock music. The problem is, I tend to get bored or lost my motivation easily specially that Im just teaching myself and don't have any teacher to depend on or to supervise and discipline me. I wanted to buy one to at least make a decent sound out of my amp. Also those two got an acoustic guitar simulator, seems it'll be useful for playing acoustic songs to improve playing chords as I dont have an acoustic guitar...

I do have considered buying a vypyr but can't find the difference between the two though I'll try the vypyr next month to see if I'll go with a vypyr 15 or the RP255 as thet are almost priced the same here. Though the RP255 seems has alot of features w/c for me is more practical. Also it'll be hard for me to look for used equipment because here in our country, almost all people makes the most out of everything for practical reasons.

Whenever Im practicing, every time I hear what Im trying to do sounds right (or at least near) it motivates me to practice more as I feel that Im doing it right.

About the PODs, though I read good things about it, it's way out of my budget, it's almost twice the price of the RP355... Though thanks for the suggestion ragingkitty.

For the pickup I guess I'll drop that plan for now.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #6
ragingkitty
meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0z3n1337
I do have considered buying a vypyr but can't find the difference between the two though I'll try the vypyr next month to see if I'll go with a vypyr 15 or the RP255 as thet are almost priced the same here. Though the RP255 seems has alot of features w/c for me is more practical. Also it'll be hard for me to look for used equipment because here in our country, almost all people makes the most out of everything for practical reasons.

If you're going to get the Vypyr, get the 30, I think its got significantly more amp models and allows you to update the firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0z3n1337
About the PODs, though I read good things about it, it's way out of my budget, it's almost twice the price of the RP355... Though thanks for the suggestion ragingkitty.

Granted that the Pods do cost more... you have to think in terms of marginal costs vs marginal benefits. The improvements in sound of a Pod HD over a RP355 cannot be overstated.

What would be bad is for you to decide, 6 months down the line, that the Pod HD does indeed sound better, and then you get GAS.

Much as we are guilty of getting people to spend more and more money, we also understand how stretchable a budget might be. Better to spend a little more and have the gear last you longer, than for you to decide to make a lateral upgrade a months down the line.

Trust me... I've wasted money making lateral purchase upgrades because I thought "I can live with that" when I tested it.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
fr0z3n1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
If you're going to get the Vypyr, get the 30, I think its got significantly more amp models and allows you to update the firmware.

Granted that the Pods do cost more... you have to think in terms of marginal costs vs marginal benefits. The improvements in sound of a Pod HD over a RP355 cannot be overstated.

What would be bad is for you to decide, 6 months down the line, that the Pod HD does indeed sound better, and then you get GAS.

Much as we are guilty of getting people to spend more and more money, we also understand how stretchable a budget might be. Better to spend a little more and have the gear last you longer, than for you to decide to make a lateral upgrade a months down the line.

Trust me... I've wasted money making lateral purchase upgrades because I thought "I can live with that" when I tested it.

Thank you very much ragingkitty... Im really torn between the vypyr 30 and the RP355, both of them are almost priced the same by their dealer here in the Philippines. They are being carried out by the same store so I'll have a chance to test them both.

I've been thinking, and again came down to what I thought the last time I've asked something like this. Seems like I'll be into buying the vypyr. With the vypyr I wont need to worry about getting a good monitor/speaker or a keyboard amp to make the most out of it, with the vypyr it's in one package. I guess it's more than I need and also the fact that I'll be playing through a real amp and also not to be overwhelmed with alot of features and effects. Im saving up now, 1 1/2 more months to got though Im thinking if I should get the Vypyr 30 or should I wait for their new realease, the VIPs?. It has an acoustic simulator which I like but some of the good amp model that Ive read that comes with the first vypyrs are not included in the new vypyrs.

Maybe the only reason I'll get the RP is if It'll sound better than the vypyr (for me) but I guess it'll still depend on the speaker that will be used...
Old 04-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
LaidBack
Call me Mike

Personally, I'd go with the Vyper.
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: