Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Ragdim

Bla-bla-bla General Questions

I have some pretty basic questions (nothing technique related since that info exists in droves). Firstly, how long should it take a beginner to learn this song? I want your guestimates just as a way to challenge myself.

Some basic background is that I've I spent about 8 months following Learn & Master Guitar by Steven Krenz (skipped through the last 10 videos/sections without practicing it since I was bored out of my mind), and began practicing the song above back at the start of November.

Currently, I can play the first minute of that song at 40bpm, but with tons of mistakes, and it really doesn't sound like that song for the most part. I've read around this site and gathered that playing painfully slow and fixing mistakes is the way to go, so I'll start doing that as of today.

Other than that, I've been practicing half an hour every 2 days without fail for these last 3 months; I know more practice would pay off, but is there a sweet spot that would pay in dividends? My time is legitimately limited, but I'll see what I can do.

Also, if anyone could recommend a software metronome that goes below 40 bpm, that'd be great (my current one does not).

Thanks a bunch, and this is a great site you all have here.
Ragdim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
BrandMusic

Hey man. that is a hardcore song for a beginner to try and learn hah. My estimate would be probably a month for an intermediate player who had a good foundation of knowledge and skill. It seems to repeat in a lot of places so I'd work on breaking it down into those part and then having it ordered (intro, part1, part2, part1 (x2) etc.) then you just learn those parts well and piece it together, its a long process.
also practice more. the amount you practice is great and most people don't have that kind of resolve but practice every day even if you can only do it for 5 minutes on the days you don't normally practice. Go to <http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm> and once you've learned all that you'll be ready to take on this song with style.
as for the metronome there's an app you can get on Android phone (any one that has a Google play marketplace) its called Mobile Metronome and it goes down to 10 beats/minute. its a great app.
good luck and hope I had an adequate response
BrandMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
JKHC

Since you've been playing for three months, I'd say it'll take quite a while to learn, especially if you want to play it cleanly.
As BrandMusic mentioned, it's not exactly the difficulty that beginners go for but if you practice enough, you'll get there.

Metronome:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Free+online+metronome
2nd link

IIRC, FFVII Crisis Core has some pretty easy songs (that is if you're into the Final Fantasy soundtracks )

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
JKHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Ragdim

@Brandmusic

Hey bud, thanks for the suggestions. It looks like a decent portion of the stuff in that link you gave was already covered by the Learn & Master Guitar course I did, but I'll scrounge around and pick up the stuff I don't yet know. I'll also start practicing everyday. ;D

@JKHC

That's okay, I've been enjoying learning the song anyways (though I do rag on myself sometimes for not being further along or xyz) and ya, I quite like FF7's music. For now I'ma stick with Cosmos Canyon since it's a song I love and I've already sunk 3 months into it. Also, thanks for the metronome link!

A question that just popped into my head: is there such a thing as practicing too slow, or does it boil down to "play perfect at whatever speed, then increase"? As an aside, I did this yesterday (without a metronome).... it was seriously painful, lol.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
JKHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdim
A question that just popped into my head: is there such a thing as practicing too slow, or does it boil down to "play perfect at whatever speed, then increase"? As an aside, I did this yesterday (without a metronome).... it was seriously painful, lol.

That depends on what you want to achieve. Practicing very slowly and gradually increasing tempo is probably the best way to go about it but if it's too slow, it becomes impractical.
I'd say play at whatever speed you're comfortable with (make sure it's clean) and go up from there.

What do you mean by painful? Physical pain or just frustration?

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
JKHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Ragdim

@JKHC

Just the frustration, no actual pain lol.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
BrandMusic

two more suggestions haha:
try humming while playing the parts you know, it helps a lot to internalize the sound of what you're playing for some people.
and trying learning to tap your foot to the metronome so you can eventually not rely on it. I've got friends who actually learned to tap their foot in concert band and they have almost perfect rhythm (for basic rhythms) without any aid whatsoever
BrandMusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: