Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #1421
idiotbox919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Vik
Hey, I just made a clip on my profile. How's it sound?

Overall, not bad....sounds a bit thin and the tracking's not tight enough but overall quite good. Is there a bass track on there? If not, then that's probably why it sounds so thin. If there is, make it louder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudey5691
Worked on some new tones with the POD.

Double-tracked>Quad-tracked>Layered Quad-tracked+lead
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940668/met...20(Mar2010).mp3

Metallica clean+OD (via Sanitarium)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940668/Met...%28cover%29.mp3

Thoughts on the tone?

I found the Sanitarium lead to be a little thin, but I think it's because I need new strings...

Pretty much agreeing with everything Kyle said. The quad tracked sounded way better than the double tracked and the leads were a bit thin and shrill soudnding. Try bringing some more of the lower mids in, should leave them still being able to cut through, but also give a bit more body.

Oh, and the Metallica cover, the cleans sounded really nice, the leads had the same problem....but the main issue with that is the mix. It's all kinda muddled and not coming together as a whole....I think the drums are the main problem, I don't really like the samples. I think the bass is too loud as well.

But in general, the guitars sounded good, the leads just need a touch of tweaking to get them sitting perfectly with everything.

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212

Last edited by idiotbox919 : 03-24-2010 at 09:05 AM.
idiotbox919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #1422
Alex Vik
UG's Zoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotbox919
Overall, not bad....sounds a bit thin and the tracking's not tight enough but overall quite good. Is there a bass track on there? If not, then that's probably why it sounds so thin. If there is, make it louder!

There is, but I kept finding when I turned up the bass, it would become a bit too prominent. I'll try turning it up and see how that sounds,.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #1423
idiotbox919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Vik
There is, but I kept finding when I turned up the bass, it would become a bit too prominent. I'll try turning it up and see how that sounds,.

Cool, the low end is the hardest part of the mix to get right, I've always found.

It's particularly difficult if you don't have any good flat response monitors, I have to compare my bass heavy headphones to my no bass speakers and make a guess somewhere in between

Old 03-28-2010, 01:33 AM   #1424
Jango22
We'll miss you, Heaven

Need some tips on my tone;
(The track is Apocalypse on my band's myspace)
now, the recording itself is very low quality, but it's can easily be seen that my tone is lacking something. The only time you can hear only me is about :54 in when there's the guitar break. I play the second part of the break. The other guitarist's tone is tight and focused, whereas mine seems empty and loose. Any help?
Pod HD300
Jango22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #1425
idiotbox919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jango22
Need some tips on my tone;
(The track is Apocalypse on my band's myspace)
now, the recording itself is very low quality, but it's can easily be seen that my tone is lacking something. The only time you can hear only me is about :54 in when there's the guitar break. I play the second part of the break. The other guitarist's tone is tight and focused, whereas mine seems empty and loose. Any help?

I had a listen and to be honest....before we can really give any decent advice we need a better quality recording.

Although having said that, depending on your gear already, get a boost and that'll tighten up the low end. It also sounds like your mids are scopped....bring some mids back and take some bass out. With some tweaking it could sound pretty cool...I really didn't like the other guys tone though, it was really scratchy and thin.

Anyway, start there and see how you go, but like I said, for good advice we need a good clip to start with....

Last edited by idiotbox919 : 03-28-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #1426
SimplyBen
Call me Ben :)

I've got a track off my band's EP that we got professionally recorded up on my profile, whaddya think guys?
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

SimplyBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #1427
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

So I haven't posted in a while, been quite busy with yard work and school and such. Today I was going through some of my old MP3's and I found this one, http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play711769

It's pretty old, when I was still using my USB mic, but I kinda want to redo it, it's a pretty simple song, don't know if I can replay that awesome lead guitar, even though the tone sucks. Hopefully I can get a better tone, since this was made using my DS-1, but I'll get back to ya'll in a few days with the new version.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:54 AM   #1428
Mark G
UG Nerd

I'll have a listen to recent updates soon, and I'll make that new thread as well
Old 04-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #1429
idiotbox919

Hey guys,

had my mate round again yesterday so we did a bit of recording for a laugh, so here's our cover of "Inside of You" from Forgetting Sarah Marshall...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2298596/Inside%20of%20You.mp3

What do you guys reckon?

SimplyBen - Assuming you meant measure for measure. It sounds kinda cool, you guys have got an interesting groove. However, I thought the guitars sounded a bit thin and harsh...personally I would've taken out some mids and added a bit of bass. Apart from that it was pretty cool, I might've put some more reverb on the drums and brought the vocals up a bit, but that's just personal preference.

Oh and Ethan, look forward to a good recording of that song

Last edited by idiotbox919 : 04-02-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #1430
Mark G
UG Nerd

V3 is up!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...50#post23694850

Any new clips put them in the new thread. Commenting on old clips can be done here.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #1431
GoIrish668
King of the 09'ers

Can someone rate my attempt at a GNR type tone? There's a recording in my profile named "GNR AFD Tone Test". There is no drums, or bass or anything, just me playing parts of Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, and Sweet Child O' Mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
GoIrish668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #1432
chrism3006
Long Term GAS Sufferer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIrish668
Can someone rate my attempt at a GNR type tone? There's a recording in my profile named "GNR AFD Tone Test". There is no drums, or bass or anything, just me playing parts of Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, and Sweet Child O' Mine.

There's a new thread, in the link in the post above yours, go ask there.

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
chrism3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #1433
SDSM

Hi guys

New to Pod Farm and came up with these 2 tones with my ESP LTD SC-607B. Please let me know what you think.

Open to advice on how to make them better.

Tone 1

Tone 2

Thanks!
SDSM is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: