Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Stringz of Fury
J Flo

Tapping issues

I've been playing guitar for 6 years and whenever I try tapping something such as the part in scarified after the first verse where both the bass and guitar tap, it just sounds weak/quiet. I know HOW to do it and I can do it right if i tap really hard and a little slow, but it still sounds weak/quiet.

Any ideas? I've thought maybe it's just a lack of distortion/sustain in my tone or maybe even my guitar because it seems like the notes dont physically have the room to ring out so maybe i need to add more relief to my neck? Or maybe i just suck at tapping, I'm fine with that too.
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Stringz of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Anon17

If your guitar is set up decently then you should be able to tap on pretty much any fret (tapping frets 20-24 can sometimes sound quiet on clean but this isn't always the case) and make a clear and strong sound.

It's mainly in the technique, you just need to practice it a lot. You don't need to use distortion in your tone to tap, I mean playing touchstyle (for example) pretty much requires a clean tone and it's also perfectly possible to tap on an acoustic guitar.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringz of Fury
Any ideas? I've thought maybe it's just a lack of distortion/sustain in my tone or maybe even my guitar because it seems like the notes dont physically have the room to ring out so maybe i need to add more relief to my neck? Or maybe i just suck at tapping, I'm fine with that too.

It's a combination of technique and tone. Dynamic compression will help a lot, but good technique is more important. As long as you're getting a fluent note sounding on the tap and your pull-off sounds the next note properly, you're probably fine.

Don't **** with your relief. That's not gonna do anything.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Stringz of Fury
J Flo

I mean i tried using a compressor and that helped a lot but still on any frets past 14 or so when I fret a string its pretty much flat against the frets above it so it seems like that might be why the notes arent really ringing out. Maybe I should raise my action a little bit?
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Stringz of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
chainsawguitar

Quote:
Maybe I should raise my action a little bit?

If your action is so low that the strings are hitting the frets when you tap higher up the neck, then yes, adjusting the action could really help.

Also, remember that strength and accuracy are important from your tapping fingers (especially when the frets are smaller). Sometimes, if you don't hit the string in the right place, you can end up hitting the fretwire itself. This produces a weaker tone, I find.

It may also be your pickups. How close are they to the string? When pickups are placed closer to the strings, they "suck" tone from the strings (they are magnets, and the strings are metal- hence the magnetic field slows down the vibration of the string a bit). This could be a factor, too.

...although, if they're too far from the strings, they'll pick up less of the sound. There is definitely a balance to be had here.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Geldin

Quote:
I mean i tried using a compressor and that helped a lot but still on any frets past 14 or so when I fret a string its pretty much flat against the frets above it so it seems like that might be why the notes arent really ringing out. Maybe I should raise my action a little bit?

If you have dead frets or fret noise on those frets when you try to use them normally, then raise your action until they're sounding properly. I play with stupidly low action but I have no problems with tapping, even on a clean tone, on any string.

I see a lot of people look suspiciously at their gear when a technical issue is really to blame. Tapping isn't an easy technique; it requires a lot of accuracy and consistency to pull off and you need to have enough strength in your tapping hand to sound the note properly and pull off to the next. Raise your action a hair if it'll make you feel better, but in most cases where people suspect their gear first, it's actually a technical issue.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: