Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
evhrocks25

MXR Carbon Copy Effects Loop Problem!

I just bought a Peavey 6505+ 112, and a MXR Carbon Copy delay. I put the CC in the effects loop and it has a very faint and non lasting delay, if i max out every thing on the delay pedal it doesnt last that long and isnt very loud.

If any one knows what the problem is please help!!!

* I used the Carbon Copy infront of the amp and there are no problems as all *

Thanks!
evhrocks25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Hmmm...that's not something I've run into, personally. It could be that the tube that buffers the loop has issues, but I would think that would affect the dry signal as well.

Are you powering the pedal with an adapter or battery?

Are you using the same cables when you put it in fron of the amp?

Does this happen with other pedals as well?

Does it sound like this with just a patch cable running into the send and return?

Are you sure you have it wired in the correct direction? I know it seems simple, but I've made that mistake a few times myself. In fact, my bands bassist was stumped by his rig not working for about 30 minutes one day, just to realize he had the entire chain backwards (this was in to the front of his amp )

I don't know much about that pedal or the effects loop of the amp, but at least the questions I asked might help someone else out and give you a free bump

EDIT:

Schematic for those that may want it:
http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/sc...ges/6505112.pdf

EDIT 2:
After some poking around, I would say you might want to swap out the V3 tube for something better than the stock tube. I don't know enough about the 6505+ 112 or effects loops and the tubes that work best for them to tell you what would be best, but I know a lot of guys tend to re-tube their 6505's with all JJ's, so that's something to consider.

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 11-24-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
evhrocks25

Battery ( gonna get an adapter soon and see if it does anything)

Yes i am, i tried a bunch of cables and it does they same thing

The only have a wah pedal, and when in the effects loop it sounds terrible and does the same thing pretty much but with a wah effect

And about changing the tubes, i bought this amp yesterday, and was eventually gonna change the tubes, but wasnt planning on changing the tubes the next day
Old 11-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evhrocks25
Battery ( gonna get an adapter soon and see if it does anything)

Yes i am, i tried a bunch of cables and it does they same thing

The only have a wah pedal, and when in the effects loop it sounds terrible and does the same thing pretty much but with a wah effect

And about changing the tubes, i bought this amp yesterday, and was eventually gonna change the tubes, but wasnt planning on changing the tubes the next day

With any budget amp, you pretty much have to factor in a tube swap with the initial price, if you want it to sound anywhere close to it's potential. You wouldn't have to swap out all of the tubes for this, only the one in V3. You can get most 12AX7's for about $15, give or take a few bucks. Any guitar shop that carries the 6505 112 should carry JJ 12AX7's, too.

You can try a JJ ECC83S in that slot. I would recommend a JJ ECC803, but those tend to go microphonic in combo amps.

EDIT:
A good analogy for the tubes would be like buying a sports car that comes with sub-par tires an low grade fuel and other fluids. It'll run like that, and it'll be better than some cars, but if you put nice tires on it and good fluids in it, it's gonna run a lot better.

It's kinda like buying a guitar that's really nice, but has terrible pickups in it. It's not truly up to it's potential until you replace the pups.

Also, you might want to read through these for some extra info:
Link 1

Link 2

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 11-24-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
evhrocks25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
With any budget amp, you pretty much have to fator in a tube swap with the initial price, if you want it to sound anywhere close to it's potential. You wouldn't have to swap out all of the tubes for this, only the one in V3. You can get most 12AX7's for about $15, give or take a few bucks. Any guitar shop that carries the 6505 112 should carry JJ 12AX7's, too.

You can try a JJ ECC83S in that slot. I would recommend a JJ ECC803, but those tend to go microphonic in combo amps.

Ok thanks, ill look into changing the tubes pretty soon, and ill go in to the store and ask if that will do anything to the effects loop

Once i get some more money ill also look into swapping the speaker, because i read you get a lot more out of the amp with something like a V30 , but those are 150, so you have any thing to suggest for that.

Thanks again
Old 11-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

WGS Makes a clone of the V30 that is highly revered among this forum. It's called the Veteran 30, and it's a V30 with some of the common complaints fixed. It's worth looking in to, and I think they currently have a Sale going on because of Black Friday, although it might have ended or will be ending today.

You might want to wait to get some second opinions on what to do. I'm not the most knowledgeable person in this respect, I've just given you what I can while trying to keep your thread bumped until someone else can give you better advice.

Also, I edited that last post and you might have missed it.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist

Set the levels on the send and return to noon.
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
crabstampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #8
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

I was having the exact same issues with my 6505+ 120 watt head and my carbon copy. When I took it to a gig, the problem went away so it may be dirty contact leads or a dying tube. I plan to replace the effects loop preamp tube asap and will see if that helps.

Also, the 6505+ head does not have send and return levels, I don't know about the combo.
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #9
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

The combo doesn't have levels either, but the combo also has a different circuit design for it's Loop.

Rate This Thread: