Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Gingerlocks
Dreadhead

Singing help!

Hey guys.

I need some advice on singing.

(I don't know if this is the right place to post this, I'm sorry if not)

Anyways. I write and play folk music. I've began to write my own stuff at the moment, and it's going quite well.

But.. I don't think my voice suits for singing? I was told it's sounds okay, but I really don't like it my self.

My aim is to sing a abit like :

I've linked the live version, so you can hear how he sings live.

I can't really afford singing lessons everyweek. Maybe twice a month. But what can I do to improve and learn?
Gingerlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
HotspurJr

Nothing this guy is doing is that hard or challenging. But it still requires a good ear and solid fundamentals. Even a couple of lessons a month, if you're willing to do the exercises your teacher sets out for you, will help.

It's hard to give you advice without knowing more details about what you sound like. Certainly this is an attainable level of skill. He has solid technique (you could never do those faster passages well without good breathing fundamentals) but he's not one of those guys that make you say "wow, he's crazy talented."

As for whether or not your voice is suitable for singing, look, you wouldn't judge your ability to be a guitar player before you had the slightest clue how to play, right? Why judge your singing that way?
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: