Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
regis_trinstar

Sweeping Finger Placement

I'm trying to get some different sweeping patterns down and I'm not sure which fingers should play which notes in the following:

Code:
---------------------13h17p13-----------------| -----------------15--------------15-------------| -------------14----------------------14---------| ---------15------------------------------15~---| -----17------------------------------------------| --------------------------------------------------|

I've been using my index and middle finger for the 2nd through 4th notes but it doesn't seem like I can jump up to the 4th note fast enough by just using the 2 fingers. Any suggestions on the proper way this should be played?
regis_trinstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Exactly the way you described. Make your movements more efficient and you'll get more speed out of it.

I've seen it done with the fourth note played with the ring finger but only ever by one person so I'm not convinced that's actually a good way of doing it. Possible... but I would concentrate on improving your technique before trying to find a band-aid for a bigger problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

This is how i would play it..

e|---------------------------------Index
B|------------------------Middle
G|----------------Index
D|-------Middle
A|Pinky
E|

When i first started 5 string sweeping i would've used my ring finger on the 17th fret but i wouldn't suggest it. I decided to make a change after not too long of sweeper and it felt so much better.

EDIT:

That sweep pattern is probably the most generic and overused sweep in existance by the way. Just pointing that out. So if you're looking for some originality or something a little different then steer far away from that pattern because EVERYONE uses it. Myself included. I wish i didn't ;(
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 04-16-2013 at 12:44 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
regis_trinstar

Thanks a ton guys. I really appreciate the help. I'm only using this particular sweep pattern for practicing so no worries on the originality aspect of things. If you have any other sweep patterns that you think are cool and want to share, feel free!
regis_trinstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Originality is overrated anyway.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Facecut
Vorsitzender

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92

That sweep pattern is probably the most generic and overused sweep in existance by the way. Just pointing that out. So if you're looking for some originality or something a little different then steer far away from that pattern because EVERYONE uses it. Myself included. I wish i didn't ;(

Thats not how you should look at it. Sweep patterns can only be tools and and the arpeggios canīt make sense without the musical context you are using them in. Saying one of the 3 inversions is overused is like saying this chord voicing is overused. It makes no sense.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

I personally sweep using my pinky for the 17th fret on the high E string and my ring finger for the 17th fret on the A string.

Why?

Try standing up and sweeping that shape using your pinky. I find that shape very difficult to perform comfortably standing up using my pinky especially when you start reaching the higher frets.

That however only applies to the higher frets.

Honestly I'm nowhere near as technically advanced as other people on this forum but I can tell you that the only truth that you will find among the majority of shredders is that they all enjoyed the guitar very much and they all practiced slowly.

Take that phrase and apply it focusing more on sound than technique.

Last edited by dannydawiz : 04-16-2013 at 10:18 PM.
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Anon17

^ Seems like your hand might not be at the optimal angle when standing up if you can reach the 17th fret with the ring finger but not the pinky. Then again, everyone's different physically but I still find that odd.

I'd try to use the pinky for the higher notes, as the highest note on the A string can be pulled off to the 12th fret of the A string for another note (meaning you can play the sweep in sextuplets) which you might come across when learning songs.

On the point of this shape being "overused", that means it's very useful to learn it if you plan to learn songs with sweeping in - Odds are they're use this or a variant of this shape.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

I will make no argument that the angle of the guitar while standing up doesn't also affect how far up you can reach. I also agree with you that everyone needs to find what works for them since we are all biologically different. (Different reach, hand size, etc...)

If anything OP you need to experiment yourself to find what is most comfortable to you.

If you focus on tone and comfort then the technique will find itself. You will find that no virtuoso guitar player has the same technique as other guitar players. It's just another one of those things that allows us to be unique.
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydawiz
I will make no argument that the angle of the guitar while standing up doesn't also affect how far up you can reach. I also agree with you that everyone needs to find what works for them since we are all biologically different. (Different reach, hand size, etc...)

If anything OP you need to experiment yourself to find what is most comfortable to you.

If you focus on tone and comfort then the technique will find itself. You will find that no virtuoso guitar player has the same technique as other guitar players. It's just another one of those things that allows us to be unique.

While there are some small differences we are all basically mechanically the same. The same follows for technique; there is some room for variation but the optimal technique is basically all the same.

You never get this "we're all different and technique is personal" balls with classical instruments, god only knows why people stick with it so doggedly with guitar.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You never get this "we're all different and technique is personal" balls with classical instruments, god only knows why people stick with it so doggedly with guitar.

I have never agreed with a UG forum post so much.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: