Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
BoL7z

Learning songs by hear

So I'm trying to progress my playing further and spending 2 hours on learning songs by ear and 2 hours on theory.

I'm having trouble by learning songs by ear, so I'm trying to learn some of the new killswitch engage songs as there's no tabs so I cannot cheat.

I'm using the amazing slow downer and trying to transcribe them by holding certain notes / slowing parts down and matching them to the guitar, I'm also using a tuner to listen to the notes and locate it on the guitar as well.

is this the best way to do it? I've never transposed by ear before and I am getting some parts of it slowly. Is there a better way?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Youre probably starting with material that is too complex for you. Figure out some Nirvana or Green Day without looking at tabs.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
BoL7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Youre probably starting with material that is too complex for you. Figure out some Nirvana or Green Day without looking at tabs.

That's what I was thinking as well, although I can only do drop C tuning atm as it's what both my bands are playing it.

I've figured out a few riffs from the album however over the past few hours. so I might stick with that and just learn riffs and slowly piece together all songs, at least that way I'm still improving my ear
Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
SamMetalGuitar

i think you should start by listening to bands who play manly whole note power chords, alot of power metal bands do that. it helped me alot when i started to play songs by ear
SamMetalGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoL7z

is this the best way to do it? I've never transposed by ear before and I am getting some parts of it slowly. Is there a better way?

Start with really simple stuff, like melodies to songs you already know by heart. Nursery rhymes and christmas carols are good places to start.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
guitaristSD

The key to learning to play by ear is to understand chords and chord patterns. Once you understand this, you can learn to play songs (popular songs that is) by ear. It's obviously much more difficult for classical pieces.

Chord patterns are repeated over and over. For example, the pattern of G, D, Em, C is repeated in 1000's of songs. You will recognize this and hear it in songs on the radio and elsewhere.

After you understand the chord progression (and thus the key), you can determine exact melodies. It makes it very easy because you know the notes of the melody lay within the key and chord.

My two cents.
guitaristSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoL7z
That's what I was thinking as well, although I can only do drop C tuning atm as it's what both my bands are playing it.

There's an easy way to fix that, especially since you're learning by ear. Stay in Drop C. Find the notes (in Drop C) that match the notes the band is playing. You might have some small issues* with the open strings in E, but you should still be able to figure out the notes.

*Small issues meaning you'll obviously have to stretch a little for certain riffs.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 04-05-2013 at 02:23 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: