Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
pxige

Question I'm a beginner, unsure about which guitar & amp to purchase?

hey guys. so I've been thinking about getting an electric guitar for a while and I'm really not sure what to look for when getting one. I know for a fact that I want a decent one and I'm going to play it often, not like a shitty little beginner thing, I made that mistake with the bass & amp combo I got just a few months ago lol. I know how to play acoustic guitar okay and I can play bass, piano and tuba so I think I'd know what I'm doing.

I've heard that Fender Stratocasters are really nice and I mean, they look good. I'm going to go around maybe this weekend or in a few weeks (once I get paid again) and see if I can try one. I've heard that Squier Strats are good as well but they're a step down from the Fenders, and I don't know if I like that idea or not. I want an actually good guitar that I won't want to sell and buy a new one within a year/year + a half.

my budget is about $450 in total.
I'm looking on kijiji too to see if I can snag a deal, and a guy said he could give me a Squier Strat with a Marshall MG series amp for $275, is that a good deal at all?

if you need an idea of what I wanna play, honestly, like, everything. I like punk, country, funk, classical, post-rock, lo-fi, alternative... but I guess rock in general. I'd really like to play stuff like Sonic Youth (noise, alternative), The Kills (garage, punk, blues), The Replacements (punk, alternative), Neil Young, Real Estate (surf, shoegazey), etc.

also is there anything I should specifically looking out for when I'm getting a guitar and an amp? or should I be able to just test everything at the store and see what feels right? any other advice would be appreciated too!
pxige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
paul.housley.7

I am also a beginner. I can't give you any advice that comes from experience but I can parrot the advice of those who usually give the advice.
Plan to spend about as much on the amp as on the guitar.

The little bit of advice I CAN give you is that you should go to a guitar store and try some out. I was surprised when I realized that I didn't like the Epiphone LP clones as much as I thought I would. It really narrowed things down for me.
paul.housley.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

The Marshall MG series doesn't live up to the Marshall name. It's an acceptable practice amp, but very over priced and is pretty limited with it's range of usable tones.

Squier Strats can be good, but the cheaper models are to be avoided. So long as you get one of their medium-high end Squiers you'll be OK.

For an amp, as you play a wide variety of styles a modeller will probably be the best bet. Check out Vox's VT range and Fender Mustang.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
samuraigoomba

Get Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe if you decide to get a Squier. Do not get a bullet or affinity or anything else.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
The Judist
The problem is choice

^Yep.
A Yamaha Pacifica 112V is also a great budget option.

For the love of god don't get a Marshall MG.

Get a Peavey Bandit 112.

Read the Two Guys Metal review here
The Judist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
vai_wins
UG Newbie

I would point you towards Ibanez. Even their low-priced stuff is engineered so precisely that nothing else comes close. Go on the Ibanez web site and check out th RG line. Heck even the Gio line is good for a starter. There's a highly respected luthier here that has been around 30+ years and the first guitar he bought for his son was an Ibanez Gio. Said his kid played it and gigged with it for years. Great guitars for the $.
vai_wins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Tazz3

Yes fender stratocaster and telecasters are nice to start off with.
Fender mustang amp is a good starter amp they sound nice for the price
Tazz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Fumble fingers

A good amp will sound nice with a crappy guitar .... BUT ...... a bad amp will make a great guitar sound like poop ...... I would get a nice tube amp and spend whats left over on a guitar ..... there is way smarter on here than me for recomendations , but I would get something like a used Peavey Classic 30 tube amp for 350.00 then spend the rest on guitar and maybe a pedal box or two like a Gain Changer or something simular
Fumble fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
iamflipbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
The Marshall MG series doesn't live up to the Marshall name. It's an acceptable practice amp, but very over priced and is pretty limited with it's range of usable tones.

Squier Strats can be good, but the cheaper models are to be avoided. So long as you get one of their medium-high end Squiers you'll be OK.

For an amp, as you play a wide variety of styles a modeller will probably be the best bet. Check out Vox's VT range and Fender Mustang.

Having owned both the MG (which is a terrible amplifier IMHO), I would highly recommend the Vox VT series of amps. They have some great tones in them, and are extremely affordable too. I picked up a 15 watt VT for around 120. (unsure of what that is in $, sorry..) definitely look at the Vox

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
iamflipbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
dspellman

The strat body shape is a good, comfortable starting point, and the Squier CVs are stunningly good for the price, both in playability and in sound. The Fender Mustang series are good beginner amps, but go for the II and up. Don't get too caught up in brand name hype; you'll find that a lot of the "improvements" are incremental and expensive. Plenty of time for that when you really get cracking.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vai_wins
I would point you towards Ibanez. Even their low-priced stuff is engineered so precisely that nothing else comes close. Go on the Ibanez web site and check out th RG line. Heck even the Gio line is good for a starter. There's a highly respected luthier here that has been around 30+ years and the first guitar he bought for his son was an Ibanez Gio. Said his kid played it and gigged with it for years. Great guitars for the $.

Yeah, Gio is good for a starter. I own a Gio. I'm planning to get a better guitar, but still Gio is not bad, especially for what I've payed for it.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
pxige

thanks for the replies! really helpful site.
I'll forget about that kijiji offer in the first post, I don't want a bad amp. I might still make an offer on the guitar though.

so far I've got -
guitars:
Fender Strat or Tele
Squier (Vintage Modified/Classic Vibe)
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Ibanez Gio
Ibanez RG

amps:
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Mustang II+
Vox VT line
Peavey classic 30 tube amp

and here's what I've found on kijiji:
Peavey Bandit 112 for $150
Peavey Valve King 10 Amp Head Tube Amp (???) for $250
Fender Strat with unknown amp for $425 (founding out what amp it is now)
Ibanez RG for $180
Fender Telecaster MIM for $400
Fender Stratocaster MIM + case for $350

it'd be really helpful if anyone had any opinions on those deals!^

Last edited by pxige : 09-06-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
daverichards
loves his fenders

i'd highly recommend a squier VM jazzmaster for the guitar side of things, very cheap for what you get and should be great for most of those band slisted
daverichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
pxige

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverichards
i'd highly recommend a squier VM jazzmaster for the guitar side of things, very cheap for what you get and should be great for most of those band slisted

yeah, thanks! they look pretty decent. I'll try and look for one somewhere.

Rate This Thread: