Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
UnbrokenGlass

Displaying merch at shows

Hey guys, obviously, this is going to vary from band to band, but what do you do for displaying merch at shows? Specifically, I am wondering what you do for buttons?
UnbrokenGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

I never did like buttons personally. You could always where one on your own guitar strap, and then have a merchant table setup somewhere with them and everything else

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Buttons = badges?

We give badges away for free, but in terms of how we display them, we usually scatter them over a load of flyers at the front of the table, as these are both free for people to pick up.

Then we have the CD's at the back, and depending on the space we have, we usually have the shirts in a box(es) on the floor by whoever is on the desk, and hang up one of each colour/design behind us. Then, we also now have a vinyl on sale but only had that for the last gig, so probably going to be next to CD's.

Are you going to charge for the badges?

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
UnbrokenGlass

I'm up in the air on charging for 'em. I figure I have those, vinyl stickers, and copies of my EP. I know I'm charging for the EPs, and I am thinking I will charge a buck a button or toss one in for free with a CD, and stickers for me.
UnbrokenGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
getmad24_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbrokenGlass
I'm up in the air on charging for 'em. I figure I have those, vinyl stickers, and copies of my EP. I know I'm charging for the EPs, and I am thinking I will charge a buck a button or toss one in for free with a CD, and stickers for me.

Just saying, I would never pay a dollar for a button. Unless they're huge or something, then maybe.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

[Didn't see the reply to this when it was first posted]

I see smaller things like badges and flyers as 'disposable merch' that you pay for in bulk and use merely as a promotional tool people can pick up to remember your name with, perhaps those who didn't have the money for a CD/t-shirt that night, or who only caught a song and liked it but weren't sold enough to pay for stuff until they'd checked you out online afterwards.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Quintex
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbrokenGlass

Just something I found out the hard way, venues don't like bands who have stickers available. Stickers have a bad habit of getting pasted onto walls and bathrooms and the staff have to remove them.

When I worked security for a show we were there an extra three hours removing "Flash and the Pans" stickers from just about everything. Both the venue and the promoter vowed that the band would never be booked again, a threat they made good on.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)
Quintex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
Aerynn

I agree that I wouldn't pay a dollar for a button unless it was huge (which would just be kinda fun, lol).
One thing I've done is to (if the venue will let you) leave a little flyer, button, card or other little thing that you wouldn't sell for much or for anything, on each table. That way people will see them and can have the option to take them home or leave them there and you pick up extras after the show.

Also, it depends how big of a show (obviously won't work if big area, but works in bars/coffeshops etc) you can set them on a table or in a guitar case if you don't have a ton (for the guitar case, lay them out neatly, don't just dump them in there), in front of or to the side of where you're playing so people can see them.
Aerynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #9
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Unless you're a punk band in a really strong punk scene, I've found that badges/buttons/patches really don't do you a lot of good in the way of exposure. They're cool for the fans, though.

I've noticed a lot of success comes in the form of stickers. People tend to take them and put them on their laptops. People ask about which band is on their laptop, then they'll immediately pull of up facebook/youtube/soundcloud and show them.

However, that's not what this thread is about, haha. Usually we bring with us a folding poker table, and we have a friend or one of our girlfriends man the booth, set out all our stickers, shirts, and EPs, and sell them. Really, just having it out, visible, and available is all you really need. Anyone who is going to buy anything has already decided to most of the time. You're not really gonna convince any non-shoppers to buy something during your show. That's just been my experience, though. Maybe folks in my area are stingy.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Yeah, some kind of small folding table. Put it up against a wall or something somewhere in the bar and set up shop. We got a metal display rack that had come from a department store that closed down that we could hang hangers from with t-shirts so that people can see what they look like. I've seen other bands use large racks from commercial refrigerators/freezers for the same kind of purpose.

Have some merch on the table so it's easy to get at and hand to people, and the rest of it under the table to keep it readily at hand to replenish your supply.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: