Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Melodic prog-rock (gp5)

I normally write melodic prog-metal, but the damn file limit prevents me from uploading anything i really want up here, so i figured id post an incomplete tab of one of my prog rock songs. i try to go for a bit of a mix between circa survive and fall of troy, but for the most part its self-influenced. i will do C4C for your kindness

thaaaanks!
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Song3.gp5 (122.2 KB, 208 views)
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
Zaqq

Very nice! I love the soloing and bass parts. I definitely can hear FoT influences However, acoustic guitar chords sound a bit bland to me. And all your parts are great, but I feel like some of them doesn't blend too well, especially these Dark Groove parts. They contrast too much.
55-64 and 109-144 could make a nice prog metal song
Zaqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqq
Very nice! I love the soloing and bass parts. I definitely can hear FoT influences However, acoustic guitar chords sound a bit bland to me. And all your parts are great, but I feel like some of them doesn't blend too well, especially these Dark Groove parts. They contrast too much.
55-64 and 109-144 could make a nice prog metal song

thanks for the input man! i know the two parts are very contrasting. i often do that on purpose as kind of a "two sides of the same coin" kind of deal. plus the acoustic is honestly just for the background ambiance, its not really supposed to stand out for most of the song, but ill start thinking of ways to improve it and some smoother transitions. if you ever want me to review one of your songs, just let me know (you can reply or inbox me, idc either way)

Last edited by pAWNlol : 06-19-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old 06-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
From Your Grave
Registred User

This is great! Melodic anything is what I really love. I thought that for the most part this was really solid as a single song up until bar 109. If the last chorus just kind of faded out and that was the song, I think that would work really well. The first dark groove section I thought worked really well, but after the 2nd chorus it didn't really work for me.

unrelated, I've always wondered how to get that red text you have in the bottom section, where you've named each part. how do i do that?
From Your Grave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Your Grave
This is great! Melodic anything is what I really love. I thought that for the most part this was really solid as a single song up until bar 109. If the last chorus just kind of faded out and that was the song, I think that would work really well. The first dark groove section I thought worked really well, but after the 2nd chorus it didn't really work for me.

unrelated, I've always wondered how to get that red text you have in the bottom section, where you've named each part. how do i do that?

thanks to you too for the input man! like i told zaqq, im going to work on smoother transitions. as for the red letterings, those are called markers, and you can make them (or edit them) by clicking on the flag with the + sign on it. the blank flag lists them all, and the ones with the arrows navigate through them (you can also use alt+arrow keys). and if you ever want a tab reviewed man, just let me know
Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
MousseMoose
:D

This is some really good stuff you have right here! Some parts of it just feel so life. I even caught myself moving to them. Very catchy. I'd really like to add my two cents on what I did/didn't like about this.

I like the acoustic riff in 1-5, but I feel that the lead part over the riff in 6-14 doesn't really do anything. I mean, you got this cool acoustic lead-up set by bar 5, and then you lead it up to nothing really with a lead part that doesn't stand out at all. Honestly, I would get rid of 6-14. Besides, hitting going from 5 straight into 15 helps the song move forward and it just flat-out sounds sick.

15-30 is some really good stuff. No criticism there.

I'm not a big fan of verse 1, but I can't really criticize it. Just not my cup of tea.

Wow, I love your first Chorus . That's gold right there. Seriously, great harmonies and a stellar bassline.

Ok, Interlude is pretty boring. While I understand you just came from an exciting chorus, having only a simple bass line for that long isn't very interesting. The generic way to fix that would be to make it shorter or spice it up somehow. But since you already had the solo bass line in the verse, I think it would sound better to add something to the interlude. I think having drums in the style of bar 15 ending with a short pause would sound neat. It'd keep the song cohesive, too.

Dark groove verse is good. I really feel the groove in it. It also has great harmonies. The only thing I would do is change around those power chord positions. I personally think hearing just the third-fret power chord sounds odd.

Honestly, I just don't like all of these breaks. I feel like every time the song gets momentum, you pull it back by adding in a break. I would just get rid of the acoustic break w/ the lead enters 2. Maybe even add a little transition to connect the parts, but it could work without one.

The bridge is nice, it really fits the song and goes well into the chorus, which I won't talk about again. Since you know I love it.

Oh look, another break/interlude. You should know what I would suggest by now.

Pre-solo is cool, but I suggest playing around with things in the time the guitars aren't playing. Maybe you'll find a cool idea.

I don't like the guitar solo. Maybe just my tastes, but it's too shreddy for me. I think it sounds too much like premeditated arpeggios.

But the bass solo, on the other hand, is GREAT! If you want the backing riff to sound heavier, you should make it a power chord, probably an inverted one.

I really want to see you finish this. It's a fun song and I would love to hear how you finish it. Oh and I noticed you've been having trouble with large files. Just put all your tabs you want to upload in a folder and make it a zip file. That should solve your problem. Good luck with your writing!
MousseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

i just wanted to thank you guys for the all positive and negative feedback, especially you MousseMoose; yours was very in-depth. if youd be up for it, how about you guys rewrite the parts you werent to fond of and upload your versions. id love to hear them!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
From Your Grave
Registred User

Alright, this is basically how I think it should go. I'm not familiar with putting drums on the grand piano so i added another track for the 4 bars of the interlude.

This way of arranging the song helps me feel like the ending parts fit.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Song3fyge.gp5 (99.2 KB, 17 views)
From Your Grave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
Erra93
erriuyai

Zip your prog-metal tabs and post them
Old 07-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Your Grave
Alright, this is basically how I think it should go. I'm not familiar with putting drums on the grand piano so i added another track for the 4 bars of the interlude.

This way of arranging the song helps me feel like the ending parts fit.

no offense, but tbh man, im not really digging this edit. the opening lead is fit for a slower chord progression, so some of the melody is off-putting over the "spicy" riff. also many of the transitions feel drastic and almost forced. i appreciate the attempt though

Rate This Thread: