Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
liampje
UG Addict

Blocking of floyd rose ( still doing dive bombs)

Hi all,

I might want to buy a new guitar coming with a floyd rose installed.

Now I need 1 guitar for me that I can sort of use for almost everything. I like the whole floyd rose thing but I still want to drop tune etc.

So can I have a floyd rose guitar, block of the system so that I can still do dive bombs etc. and I can drop tune without fiddling with almost everything.

I tried thinking of ways where I could block it off but I'm not really sure wheter I would be able to find the right glue or if that there is something I need to keep in mind making the strategy invalid.

Thanks in advance!!!
liampje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Just block the bridge off by wedging something in the trem cavity. It really is that simple.

You don't need to glue anything.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
liampje
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Just block the bridge off by wedging something in the trem cavity. It really is that simple.

You don't need to glue anything.

You probably mean the trem cavity on the side pointing towards the springs in the cavity?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Yes. That'll allow you to do what you're describing.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
liampje
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Yes. That'll allow you to do what you're describing.

I think I have to measure those things. Because when you dive there is some extra space at the ''pull-up'' part of the cavity.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
satansnachos

WOAH WOAH no dude, if you block off the floyd, then you can NOT do dive bombs.
satansnachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
saberrocks
SaberMaidenfan

Get yourself a TremolNo, it will allow you to either block it completely or do dives only, no pull ups.
saberrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
arv1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberrocks
Get yourself a TremolNo, it will allow you to either block it completely or do dives only, no pull ups.

Yup, this ^^^

They're as cheap as chips and very easy to install.
arv1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by liampje
So can I have a floyd rose guitar, block of the system so that I can still do dive bombs etc. and I can drop tune without fiddling with almost everything.

You can block a Floyd from doing pullups with one of those adjustable gizmos that goes between the strings. Check out the Rockinger Black Box at http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?...e3b6351184aad15

Also works for stringing your guitar.

As for drip tuning (I know, the typo was on porpoise), take a close look at the Variax JTV-89F. You can drop tune to Drop Bb by rotating the alternate tuning knob, and the string tension doesn't change. http://line6.com/jtv-89f/features
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:33 AM   #10
liampje
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arv1971
Yup, this ^^^

They're as cheap as chips and very easy to install.

Since I'm in the Netherlands it is not cheap as chips. 69 for one tremol-no.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:09 AM   #11
NikFire89
Jackson KV2 Shredder

Yep, Tremol-no is the way forward. Had mine installed on my Jackson KV2 for nearly 6 years and it's been great. Allows you full-floating Floyd Rose divebombs and fluttering craziness, dive-only even with a Drop D, or hardtail so you can re-tune further and get those pedal steel bends right in tune.

Easy to install and it's non-intrusive to the guitar's finish/cavity arrangement etc. so your guitar can be returned to stock very easily.
NikFire89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
liampje
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFire89
Yep, Tremol-no is the way forward. Had mine installed on my Jackson KV2 for nearly 6 years and it's been great. Allows you full-floating Floyd Rose divebombs and fluttering craziness, dive-only even with a Drop D, or hardtail so you can re-tune further and get those pedal steel bends right in tune.

Easy to install and it's non-intrusive to the guitar's finish/cavity arrangement etc. so your guitar can be returned to stock very easily.

I found some cheaper things that just require 2 screws in the guitar. After that you can change between dive-only and full floar. I'll post a link when I'm near a computer.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
liampje
UG Addict

Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
coldandhomeless

Instead of drilling holes for the tremelno, just get the WD tremolo stabilizer. It will allow u to dive or pull up, but when ur done, will make the floyd go back to where it began. You can bend strings and not have the thing move, you can drop tune without unlocking, requires no screws or drilling. If u break a string, it stays in tune. Feels like a fixed bridge until u need it to move. If paul gilbert ever tried one, he would put one in all of his dusty floyd equipped guitars and rock out. Dude, its just a little plastic tube that goes inside one of the springs. It rests between the claw that holds the springs and the block that holds the other end. When you pull up on the bar, the tube pushes against the claw, making it pivot one one of the two screws and when u let go, makes the claw go right back against the screw. Once installed, the spring tension screws become 1-tremolo angle adjustment, and 2-spring tension adjustment. So there is an obvious center point to ur trem and all the pros of the tremelno and none of the cons. Its amazing. I got one in every floyd guitar i got. Some bought, some made. Once you investigate into what im saying, youll notice how awesome it is if you ever try it. WD tremolo stabilizer. Fuggun sweet.
coldandhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: