Old 07-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #17501
NeoMvsEu
Sing the anthem of life

^ The system is broken? ;D
NeoMvsEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #17502
Hail
i'm a mean bully

i still think it's really impressive they shot the entirety of the lord of the rings underwater
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #17503
benallen586
Banned

Talking

Thanks for your share. What's your method to learn guitar? For me, I not only learn by myself, but also watch some guitar shows, which I bought tickets from damaiwang. It's very convenient.
benallen586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 PM   #17504
20Tigers

If you want to blame someone for all those closed necrothreads a few weeks ago ^this is your guy^.

It looks as though he ran a keyword search so that he could respond with a post that put his advertisement for a ticket selling website in china into context. Each post was slightly different but always came back to the same site.

As for some of the other threads being closed. From time to time we have to make judgment calls in regard to what we think is in the best interest of the forum as a whole. Some people may not like our decisions, sometimes we may even make a bad decision. They all come from the right intentions. Feedback is useful and valued.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:47 AM   #17505
Hail
i'm a mean bully

i just like breaking your balls
Old 07-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #17506
NeoMvsEu
Sing the anthem of life

Naw, no blame needed. I just didn't read all the time stamps on the threads, that's all!
Old 07-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #17507
Hail
i'm a mean bully

i blame you
Old 07-29-2015, 08:23 AM   #17508
NeoMvsEu
Sing the anthem of life

I'm going to pin the blame tail on the donkey.

Oops, hit a balloon.

Wait... The balloon was a donkey. Conspiracy, I smell one!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #17509
NeoMvsEu
Sing the anthem of life

Hijacking chat with language stuff because it's not going to fit in any other place (besides the Pit...), but was still (originally) relevant to the original thread (below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingrpikingood at #33522793
I would say that the difference is that in tonal languages inflection works on a word by word basis, and in most other languages, inflection has very much to do with meaning, but more for the meaning of the full sentence. The order of words also makes a difference, but that is with all languages, even though the way order works is different.
I would be more careful with word choice if I were you. "Inflection" is a syntactic term and deals with grammar. Stick with "tonal characteristics", "contour", "intonation", and "pitch" if you must. Otherwise, I agree for the most part.

Quote:
"I didn't say she stole my money." has 7 different meanings in english depending on which word you emphasize.

But you can't say the word money differently and have it mean carrot. Although sometimes words do have multiple meanings, and where they are in the sentence as well as how you say it makes a big difference as to which definition you are using.
Part 1, certainly, but those are pragmatic differences. The base meaning of each word hasn't changed, but some type of emphasis and resultant implication has been added.

"Object", meaning "a thing", cannot be stressed any other way and mean "a thing". It would mean "to disagree with something" if it were stressed the other way. This means there are two different "object"'s. This can be called a pitch accent thing.

Quote:
Tonal languages and even other asian ones will do things like conjugating, or having an add on modifier word in order to identify the sentence as a question, whereas in western languages, they rely purely on how you say the sentence, or how you phrase it, and in written, how you punctuate it.
No. English adds who/what/when/where/why/how, subject/verb reversal (sometimes with an extra "do". "She plays ball" -> "Does she play ball?"). I'm not sure where you got the idea that English/Western languages are so straightforward.

Quote:
The word order is more strict in the asian languages I know of.
Okay then. There are things in these Asian languages that English would never dream of as well.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #17510
jazz_rock_feel
UG Resident

I'm confused by what this discussion is about. English isn't a tonal language and doesn't use pitch accents (that I know of). It uses stress accents, like in all the examples like perfect/perfect and object/object and produce/produce. Those are stress differences not pitch accents (also the vowels change).

Also Neo, you're making a case to be the new Dryest Lunch of MT. Fingr has held the title for a long time, but this is a big push.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #17511
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

The English language was a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T

Pats killed McNair

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #17512
NeoMvsEu
Sing the anthem of life

There's something about vowel reduction there, but we're going to agree to disagree.

I'll take my water then.

There are definitely many neater languages than English, in all senses of "neat".
Old 07-31-2015, 04:51 AM   #17513
Hail
i'm a mean bully

why are you taking away the only place i can be happy
Old 08-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #17514
keltenhannes

*spam removed*
keltenhannes is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: