Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Gynce

Unhappy Afraid

So, when I was playing in my old band with some friends 3 years ago, our drummer always shouted at us, that we didn't know how to play and other shit.
Now I have made some posts that I'm looking for a band and some people called me, but now because of the past when he shouted at us, I have a fear of auditions, to try out, if I'm good for the band or not...
Help me!!
Gynce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
jsantos
Hello, I am new here

Remember that was 3 years ago. Have you progressed in your abilities since then? You have to ask yourself if you are where you want to be in your skills.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Gynce

Yes I have progressed,but the whole audition thing creep's me out, whether they are going to give me songs to learn by ear (which is for me kinda difficult), or what
Old 02-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Well don't forget they might be auditioning others too, and they will also be nervous.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
EmilGD
Unregistered User

Try to decide with yourself to be on the offensive, do your best, and whatever happens happens. If things turns out well, you're the one they're looking for. The worse that can happen is that you're not the right guy (at the time being, at least), and so what? Now you know where you're at, and probably what you need to work on. Just convince yourself that doing the audition is the best option no matter what the outcome is, and hopefully that'll calm you.
EmilGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Also remember that the old drummer will not be there and not all the drummers are like the same. In a good band (no matter how bad the guitarists' skills are) nobody shouts at each other. The shouting was not due to your bad skills, it was because the drummer clearly had some problems. You are three years older now and you are also mentally three years older. Shouting because of lack of skill is just stupid and it doesn't solve any problems. You have also been playing for three years more than then. And you do progress a lot in three years. (Three years ago I thought I played some awesome things but really I sounded awful.)

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Gynce

Yes, we figured it out, that the drummer was very stupid and because of him our band disolved
Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Lou108

**** your old drummer. do want you want and be awesome at it.

My Music
Lou108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Funk Monk
Shutup N' Play Yer Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou108
**** your old drummer. do want you want and be awesome at it.

/thread
Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
benn913
UG User

go for it man, don't let something in the past keep you from doing something in the future
benn913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #11
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gynce
, whether they are going to give me songs to learn by ear (which is for me kinda difficult)

So make a point of working on it, so that's no longer something that's difficult for you.

The functional ear trainer, a free download from miles.be. Use it. Take away this excuse to lack confidence in your abilities.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #12
20Tigers

Change your goal. Don't go to make the band. Go only for the experience and to work on getting over the fear. Go there to play not to make the band. Tell them you want to play something to loosen up a bit an play something you know well. Then relax into it and enjoy yourself.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:37 AM   #13
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Youre old drummer was a douche... most drummers, or band members for that matter, are not like that.

If they ask you to learn a song in advance...which is something good bands will do.... then learn it by ear, tabs, witchcraft, or whatever...just learn the song and be ready to play it.

Being nervous the first time is very normal... but once you meet the other people and start playing you'll be fine

And...your old drummer was a douche.

A douche

I love saying that word...its one of the better things to enter the vernacular/lexicon in the past 20 years...

Douche.
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: