Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-19-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
ansiaaa

[Boss FZ-5] - damaged pedal or just crappy?

hi,

after watching some nice vids on youtube about this pedal, I bought it yesterday.

I wanted a lo-fi fuzz as this one seemed to be, but now that I've tried it on my guitars... well it sounds like crap...

does anyone here have this pedal and could answer some questions please? I want to know, if the sounds I get from this fuzz are intended to be like this, or if it is damaged, before returning it to the store.

1- when it's on M (maestro) setting: the sound is really awful. I mean, I would like it, as it is very lo-fi, but if I try to play some fast notes, it's like the effect doesn't manage to keeping track of all of them. It's just like it looses some of the fast notes, or cuts them.
Also, when I get the "fuzz" knob to the max I get some really weird cracky sounds if I only slightly touch the strings of my guitar

2- when it's in the other two modes, if I push the fuzz knob to 3/4 or to full, the effect get really noisy even if I don't play anything

is this pedal really like that? or was I unlucky and got a damaged one?

Last edited by ansiaaa : 04-19-2009 at 05:31 AM.
ansiaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
Blompcube
Registered User Error

well, noise is just what happens when you crank the gain on anything. so that's your answer to question 2 and the end of question 1.

in answer to question 1, i wouldn't really know - did you really not try before you buy? that's where you've gone wrong. It seems like what has happened is you watched youtube demos thinking it'll sound right, but didn't take the dynamic response (or lack of) of the pedal into account. I think it's just the boss FZ-5 in general, not that you got a bad one - the "M" setting has gotta be the worst setting any pedal has ever had in the history of anything.
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.

Last edited by Blompcube : 04-19-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
ansiaaa

well from your answer I guess it must be the pedal itself...

yeah, I didn't try it before buying it. I've never used distortion pedals and similiar, just delay effects and so on, so I wasn't used to try it before to check the sound.
It'll be a lesson for the future :/

thanks for the answer! it cleared my doubts about this pedal...

do you have any suggestion about a good fuzz pedal? apart from the big muff cos I wanted something a bit different. the fz-5 had the lo-fi tone that I was looking for, but it just doesn't work the way I thought
Old 04-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
K!nj!

What amp are you playing it through?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
ansiaaa

i have a 60w marshall amp

I tried the pedal with a Jackson RR with duncan jazz pickups, and a fender telecaster.
My main guitar is a 80's epiphone korina explorer, but I don't have it here right now
Old 04-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur

maybe try the moen fuzz. good price for a decent pedal. just looked it up and its called the fuzz moo. when you go back to the store, plug in a big muff and turn the tone knob all the way to the right and see if it doesn't fit the bill.

joe_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
ansiaaa

thanks! i'll try that for sure
Old 04-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
Gabel
UG's Swede

What Marshall amp?

But yeah it is the pedal. They suck to be brutally honest. I would also recommend the Electro Harmonix Big Muff, you can pick one up for less than a $100. Great lo-fi fuzz, it's what Jack White uses!

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Gabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
Sguit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabel
What Marshall amp?

But yeah it is the pedal. They suck to be brutally honest. I would also recommend the Electro Harmonix Big Muff, you can pick one up for less than a $100. Great lo-fi fuzz, it's what Jack White uses!

big muff's not really lo-fi

check devi ever fuzzes, a lot of them are just lo-fi noise making machines (in a good way)
http://www.deviever.com/
Sguit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
ansiaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sguit
big muff's not really lo-fi

check devi ever fuzzes, a lot of them are just lo-fi noise making machines (in a good way)
http://www.deviever.com/

exactly, I like the bass big muff pi on my... bass :P but I wanted something more lo-fi for the guitar.

I've come accross deviever pedals, but I have yet to find some place in europe that sells them...
Old 04-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
Kai07
GB&C's Black Guy/Anime<3r

Fuzz Factory is my mandatory answer. HIGHLY tweakable, but not something you go into not knowing what your doing or it'll be a huge turn off.
Kate: "Hmm I wasn't gonna be romantically involved..but that dick must be huge!"
On the subject of my girlfriend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonius
Kai is Sex on 2 legs
Kai07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Goldenglove
Banned

Red Witch Fuzz God>Fuzz Factory, imo.
Goldenglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
ansiaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenglove
Red Witch Fuzz God>Fuzz Factory, imo.

not having tried them I can't tell if it's better or not, but I sure love the FuzzGod sound. If it hadn't so much useless stuff like the wrath function I would have bought it.

Anyway, I've just finished spending a couple of hours playing with the FZ-5... and well... I've come to terms with it. I think I just had to explore the many settings a bit more than what I did at the beginning.
It was mainly my fault: I guess I was expecting it to work exactly as I wanted right out of the box, but I really had to try it better to understand how to make it work.
After all it's better this way: I always wanted effects that I can tweak and play with and this time I got what I asked for

I must learn not to rush into things and judge them so quickly.

Thank you all for all the feedback, it made me listen again to some other pedals and that reminded me why I chose this particular one.

Rate This Thread: