Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

how to strengthen my head voice

the title is pretty self-explanetory. ive neglected my head voice over the years, and im only capable of weak, airy falsettos. id like to have a nice, strong, and LOUD head voice, to the best of my abilities. and id like the transitions to be as smooth and seamless as possible.

so, (obviously) anyone have ay good advice or tips?

once again, all help is greatly appreciated ^_^

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
RedChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pAWNlol
the title is pretty self-explanetory. ive neglected my head voice over the years, and im only capable of weak, airy falsettos. id like to have a nice, strong, and LOUD head voice, to the best of my abilities. and id like the transitions to be as smooth and seamless as possible.

so, (obviously) anyone have ay good advice or tips?

once again, all help is greatly appreciated ^_^

Look into some exercises and consciously work on tone.
Breathing is very important.
Lift soft pallet and eyebrows for better resonance as well.

And for transitions you may have to work on your bridge or just learn pharyngeal or something.

Do some searching, i'm sure you'll find something
RedChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChaos
Look into some exercises and consciously work on tone.
Breathing is very important.
Lift soft pallet and eyebrows for better resonance as well.

And for transitions you may have to work on your bridge or just learn pharyngeal or something.

Do some searching, i'm sure you'll find something

i really appreciate you trying to help man, but telling me to do research is kind of beating a dead horse. i already do my research, i was asking if any of the people on here had any personal tips or tricks

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 09-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Sickz
Jazz Musician

There are lots of ways to improve, but what worked best for me was to use the vocal exercises i practiced in my normal chest voice, but doing them up in my head voice. At first they will be very weak and you might not be able to do them in a huge range in your head voice, but what you have to practice is to go both up and down.

One great way i found was this. My chest voice "cracks" at G4, after that i have to use head voice. What i did was i practiced from C5 going down to C4 in all head voice. That means that i am going halfway in the area where i normally sing in headvoice, i do this to connect the 2 better and to build the strength in my head voice. This really helps with the transition you were talking about, trying to use head voice at the peak of were your chest voice is.

Other then that transition practice, as said, use your normal singing exercises but up in head voice. Of course it will take a lot of time to develop, but when you start to get the hang of it you can start singing songs that are in both your high and low register.

I hope that helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickz
There are lots of ways to improve, but what worked best for me was to use the vocal exercises i practiced in my normal chest voice, but doing them up in my head voice. At first they will be very weak and you might not be able to do them in a huge range in your head voice, but what you have to practice is to go both up and down.

One great way i found was this. My chest voice "cracks" at G4, after that i have to use head voice. What i did was i practiced from C5 going down to C4 in all head voice. That means that i am going halfway in the area where i normally sing in headvoice, i do this to connect the 2 better and to build the strength in my head voice. This really helps with the transition you were talking about, trying to use head voice at the peak of were your chest voice is.

Other then that transition practice, as said, use your normal singing exercises but up in head voice. Of course it will take a lot of time to develop, but when you start to get the hang of it you can start singing songs that are in both your high and low register.

I hope that helped.

thanks a ton man! im not worried about my head voice's range because i can reach about a G5 with it. im just more concerned about its power and making it seem less like pure falsettos. but im going to start on this as soon as i can man!

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 09-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
WylliamN

**Spam Removed (by 20Tigers)- This is spam because it has nothing to do with the thread topic (and you have posted it in a five different threads)
WylliamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
merriman44

Pawn, also try to add a bit of whine to your head voice. It takes on a more Dickinson type tone.
merriman44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

@wylliam: you really should post this in the forum, not on here. but honestly, your singing is pretty monotone and lacks pretty much any kind of energy, which also contributes to your pitch being off pretty frequently. sing with more power and confidence, and youll probably end up fixing your pitch naturally

@merriam: really? adding whine will make it stronger? i thought that would make it weaker?

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 09-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
merriman44

It reinforces the tonality. Its a weird mechanism and don't know all the details. I'll try and record something for you when I get a chance but I assure you it grants some stability from which power can be added.

edit: Someone with more authority on this matter please correct me if I'm wrong. I can do this quite efficiently, but it's a little difficult to explain. Basically though, as you move into your head voice, when you add the bit of whine it helps to "zip" up your vocal cords, allowing them to hit higher notes with more tone without strain.

Last edited by merriman44 : 09-25-2013 at 09:39 PM.
merriman44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
It reinforces the tonality. Its a weird mechanism and don't know all the details. I'll try and record something for you when I get a chance but I assure you it grants some stability from which power can be added.

edit: Someone with more authority on this matter please correct me if I'm wrong. I can do this quite efficiently, but it's a little difficult to explain. Basically though, as you move into your head voice, when you add the bit of whine it helps to "zip" up your vocal cords, allowing them to hit higher notes with more tone without strain.

alright man, ill try it out. thanks once again. but yeah, let me know if/when you get that recorded

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Rate This Thread: