Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #7001
zvsmedia

I'd like to have the ability to choose which coil is active when I've engaged a coil-tap switch. I can see that it could be done with a 4pdt switch. Is there a simpler way to do it?
zvsmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #7002
Tallwood13

the SPST method I like , the other alternative is of course is seymour duncan triple shots which are 5 solders to the pickup (side by side it couldnt be easier) 2-3 to the main wiring harness. The advantage to triple shots of course is that you get 24 tones out of 2 pickups.

this is what I'd do , it's cheaper than a triple shot and you can do both pickups on your switch this way using the same on/off/on switch. In fact the first time I had those over rated P-rail pickups that first came out they had this wiring in them by the original owner. Best of all with the washer and all a DPDT or SPST switch can replace a tone knob, lets face it when was the last time we used one of those

so ground - solder to the back of any pot
the positive symbol i added with my photoshop skills represents hot lead , this can be the left contact on a les pauls volume or the correct pickup selection switch position on a 1v/1t 3 way wiring

tips? solder and tin the red/white wires together on SD pickups of course, it looks neater and it's less work when you get to the switch. A bit of heat shrink tubing goes a long way.

Last edited by Tallwood13 : 01-08-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Tallwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:40 AM   #7003
zvsmedia

Thanks, awesome advice. I also ran across some other very cool diagrams in your Photobucket account. I think I'll do the HSH mod on another project I'm working on.

At some point it's time to put down the soldering iron and just play, right?

Last edited by zvsmedia : 01-08-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #7004
Tallwood13

absolutely and yeah take whatever you want from there I posted everything there to help people, any questions or just in general tips feel free to ask. I make my own diagrams in photoshop.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #7005
zvsmedia

Here's a mod to that circuit I'd be interested in. It's awesome to have all that functionality on one switch but I'm afraid I'd knock it out of humbucker mode if I get a little too active on stage.

Would it be possible to use a push-pull pot and a SPDT switch to accomplish the same thing? The push-pull would keep the pickup in humbucker mode when down regardless of the SPDT setting but the SPDT coil chooser switch would become active when the push-pull is pulled for single-coil mode. Is that description clear enough? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by zvsmedia : 01-12-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #7006
Tallwood13

push pulls and a basic on/on spst do the same thing, just the push pull as we know would be like two spst switches side by side. Just make sure if you're purchasing them you don't get momentary on/on switches. I made that mistake once when i was really new to electronics.

the only time it gets murky is with DPDT switches because then there is two different kinds that you see in incorporated in the guitar world.
on/off/on
on/on/on
both have slightly different contact patterns for the commons and all to the point certain mods you got to slightly wire them differently.

so the coil chooser use a DPDT ON/OFF/ON switch, same dimensions and all , in fact the diagram was the last post i did. Just the "negative" is ground" and hot lead wherever your pickups "north start" (black on a SD pickup) goes. Scroll up for that diagram , it might be a page back.

with two push pulls, a bit of heat shrink and a lot of patience this picks your coils and gives you two options, if not check out this first, its kind of pricey but saves you a lot of time, it just hasn't gotten a lot of praise yet compared to certain things in the guitar modding world.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/accessory/triple-shot-flat

and a wiring i recommend this like crazy, if you tin every wire and contact and have a lot of patience and a little template to cheat with you'll do fine. Telecasters and ibanez RG guitars or H/H strats have it easy.

use the right color code to get the right results
Old 01-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #7007
zvsmedia

This looks great. One question: how do I know which way is "push" on the diagrams? Is it furthest from the terminals on the pot?

Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #7008
Tallwood13

the ones closest to the contacts on the pot are the up position
the ones furthest away are pushed down

good luck wiring the guitar if you switch a black and green wire on a pickup the middle position is out of phase too, kind of cool if you don't use the middle position, not sure if it would cause any wiring issues though.

but the 12 tone wiring unless you add an extra switch and are extremely creative you can add it to the 12 tone wiring , but yeah any questions send me a private message i usually get back to people quicker that way.

**edit** just made this to help people out; the spin a split mod is somewhere on my photobucket as well. It's a mod that doesn't require a push pull or switch to split a coil on a pickup. stacked single coil to humbucker

Last edited by Tallwood13 : 01-13-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:13 PM   #7009
ShameofaNation
yep

Can anyone help me out? Question is regarding potentiometer load.

I'm getting ready to work a few mods, including the G&L PTB wiring into my Tele,

and because two of these pots will be push/pull, it's brought up an issue regarding the torque difference between push/pull and standard pots. I use my volume knob extensively in my playing, and can't settle for using push/pull for it because of how easily they turn, it doesn't feel right. I cannot find a 1meg push/pull to save my life.

The wiring uses 250k for volume, 500k for treble, and 1meg for bass. If I switched these around so that the 1meg was the volume, and 250k was bass, would that affect the intended sound to any serious degree? I would assume not, given that the total load on the pickups is still the same, but I'm so new to this I want to be sure before I order my parts.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
ShameofaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:46 PM   #7010
Tallwood13

to my understanding with tone knobs they are sensitivity , the PTB wiring is really cool that G&L has in fact I incorporate it into my fender strat wiring harnesses I sell on ebay.

so 500k , 1m and so forth it's just a quicker or longer trip to 0k for the two tone knobs, so you could use say two 1m pots , two 500k pots for the two bands of EQ if that makes sense.

as far as with push pulls you can really add them anywhere to the circuit if you like the classic volume pot that is already there at 250k keep it , push pulls can be added anywhere in the harness. Such as one of the tones because that makes more sense on a strat, ibanez or whatever. I never grew up playing guitars with pickguards so my pinky would sometimes roll off the volume by accident if i had a push pull engaged. If I was you I'd suggest putting the push pull as one of your tone knobs. Sound wise and all it won't cause any complications adding the push pull to different parts of the guitar it's just a matter of comfort. Know what I mean?

This is my strat wiring. I don't mention the resistances any more as I let people dictate it themselves. 500k for humbuckers , 250k for single coils (and teles) volumes. As rule of thumb when it comes to volumes the higher the resistance the brighter the pickups are so it's different compared to tones.

this is my strat wiring to show you what i mean by this I've been boasting about, I just updated this and made it neater than when i first started making it pop up on these forums. They are based on the classic pre-2015 seymour duncan diagrams. I must have half a dozen new harnesses on here since my last post so you may get some cool ideas off my photobucket.

the 7 way mod = use of the outer 2 pickups or all 3 strats can't do.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:55 PM   #7011
ShameofaNation
yep

^I appreciate the help, but I suppose a better way of wording my question would be: Based on that wiring diagram, is there anything that absolutely requires the bass control be a 1meg pot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
ShameofaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:07 PM   #7012
Tallwood13

500k works fine; however 1000k/1m is encouraged if you want that extra bit of control.

1m is encouraged as you've got more to roll back, regardless 10 is 10, 0 is 0

I had a jackson DKMG and when i bought it , it was pretty much an acoustic guitar. No pickups , pots or knobs, long story short the volume had to be 500k, the tone i went through my entire drawer of pots and the only one that worked with the guitar as it needed like 18mm shaft height and everything else wasn't in my drawer so what I realized is with a 100k pot (not 1m) is that 10 is still 10, but you rolled back to 0k very quickly , you missed out on a lot of sweet spots you got much more easily with the 500k pot with the same capacitors and resistors.

Rate This Thread: