Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
guitarguydm123

So its new amp time

So as people were nice enough to mention in my last post, i need a new amp. and after searching Ive settled on the Peavey 6505 112 combo. from what Ive read in reviews its nice, but does anyone here have any personal feedback they can give me? i don't want to spend a bunch of money on a terrible amp. Or does anyone have any better suggestions? I play all kinds of metal. my budget is about 500-700 so it would have to be about the same price as the 6506.

Amp-
Micro Orange Terror W/PPC108 Cab
Peavey Vypyr VIP1

Pedals-
Digitech Metal Masters
guitarguydm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

Its definitely not terrible. Many metal artists use the 6505 series, theyre great. The cleans are kinda crappy but its definitely a good amp. So ****ing loud though!

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Katsock

I use mine from everything from a hardcore metal sound to pop punk to pop rock. It handles everything. When we play at the bars we play things from the 80s to top 40's and I love my 6505+. Every time I want to switch to another amp I end up staying with this one. It is noisy, which has been an issue but not a huge one. The amount of gain on tap is outrageous and you'll never use it all. I keep my crunch and clean around 6 on the dial and my lead around 4-5.

It is a very very bright amp with tons and tons of bite. I love that about it, and find that most amps need the treble cranked pretty high to get anywhere near that amount of bite. The low end is awesome, handles everything you'd ever need. Mine stays around 6 on both channels.

I actually really love the clean sound I get, but I'm the kind of guy that doesn't mind turning some knobs on my guitar while im playing to get a little less grit here, or a boost there.

Like said above, it is very loud. I NEVER get past 4, and hitting that is a miracle, but it isn't the kind of amp you want power tube sounds from, mostly everything you like comes from the preamps. I've heard a retube of the preamp can quiet things down and clear it up, which is my next endeavor.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with my amp. I wouldn't sell my amp for anything other than necessity. It's lasted many months on the road, never crapped out on me, and will probably stay with me forever. All in all it's a great amp.

I will reiterate though... IT's LOUD AS ALL HELL
EV-Re 2 wireless

Gibson SG Standard
Fender Blacktop HH Tele
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
-Endorsed by Gorilla Ears-
-Endorsed by Gibson-
Katsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

IMHO they are a little bit over rated. they aren't flexible, and only do one thing and one thing only. the main amp for quite a few metal-core players. but brootz.

personally i would look for a used JSX combo.

what ever you do, i wouldn't buy a 6505 combo new as you can find used ones sub $300 if you are watching.

if you want better and to spend a little bit more used there are 5150 2x12"s that are rather nice.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

I would say it's not great at bedroom levels. It sounds "weak" at low volumes when I try it. But anything above bedroom, you're good.
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: