Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
skilly1

slide guitar

So I wanna play slide guitar. What I want to know is, do I need a specially set up guitar for slide with the raised action and whatever else and where could I buy one in the UK ( do guitar shops sell specific slide guitars)
Also, I've been looking up on the web about it and hear some ppl use these nut extensions which I could apply to my existing guitar, they get good reviews but I don't know how reliable they are
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
K33nbl4d3
Not sorry.

None of that stuff is necessary at all, it just makes it easier to use the slide.
K33nbl4d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

An open tuning tends to help, a lot of the 'big' slide players use them.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
skilly1

Ar cool, I really don't need all that stuff , Im gonna order me a slide then, I know it's not going to be easy but at least I can start learning now,
Yeah I will use the open tunings, I've read a bit about it all, Open G being one that I read about
Old 04-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
skilly1

How would I play like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv-M...be_gdata_player
What tuning is it in,
Also should I buy a glass or brass slide
Are the slides one size fits all but the thickness to do with the actual thickness of the slide

Hope this makes sense,

Many thanks

Last edited by skilly1 : 04-18-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
stepchildusmc

slides are sold in sizes. they are also a matter of personal taste. they're cheap enough, get one of each and see what you prefer. i prefer the dual purpose method myself........

(just have to be careful not to drink the bottom)
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilly1
So I wanna play slide guitar. What I want to know is, do I need a specially set up guitar for slide with the raised action and whatever else and where could I buy one in the UK ( do guitar shops sell specific slide guitars)
If you're a person that plays with a LAPWOB action, then more than likely, you'll at the very least, have to raise the action
Quote:
Also, I've been looking up on the web about it and hear some ppl use these nut extensions which I could apply to my existing guitar, they get good reviews but I don't know how reliable they are
The place you'll most find raised nuts would be on a Dobro, (resonator type guitar). In fact, Dobros come in a "square neck" variety, which simply isn't ever in tended to be played any way other than with a slide.

These are more like a lap steel than anything else. The strings are way off the fretboard, and the frets are just used as guidelines

Keep in mind when you put a raised nut on any guitar, it pretty much ends the guitar's life as a "play me with both hands in standard tuning instrument". After all, isn't that the beginner's biggest complaint, "how the heck do I play an F barre chord at the 1st fret"? Well, jack the nut up an 1/8" or so, then try it.

So, if this is just a side trip, jack up the action, and perhaps put a set of slightly heavier strings on, and leave it at that.

BTW, most steel and pedal steel work, is done with flat wound strings.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 04-18-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Captaincranky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #8
skilly1

My guitars both acoustic and electric certainly aren't lapwob(although in the past I've alway wanted them that way), does this mean I can play them with a slide
Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
snakestretcher

Quote:
How would I play like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv-M...be_gdata_player
What tuning is it in,
Also should I buy a glass or brass slide
Are the slides one size fits all but the thickness to do with the actual thickness of the slide

Hope this makes sense,

Many thanks

There's no way of telling which tuning was used as only single notes are being played, so it could be open or standard tuning.

Slide material preference is subjective. I prefer heavy chrome-plated brass slides, like the Dunlop #228, or the gold-plated Rokslide. Slides come in various weights, thicknesses and materials. Your local music shop will have a selection for you to try out.

If you don't want to change the set-up of your guitar but want a raised action, buy a cheap nut extender. This is simply a piece of angled metal, grooved for the strings which fits over your exising nut and is held in place by string tension.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1...83&tx=116&ty=59

Last edited by snakestretcher : 04-19-2013 at 06:56 AM.
snakestretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
Captaincranky

Quote:
My guitars both acoustic and electric certainly aren't lapwob(although in the past I've alway wanted them that way), does this mean I can play them with a slide
The whole idea is to be able to quiet the strings with the slide, while at the same time, not hitting the frets with the strings.

Slides will buzz if you don't push down hard enough, the same as will fretted strings. So, if you push down hard at the lower frets, you can hit the frets with a reasonably low action. That's where the raised nut comes in.

So, "if the twain meets", so to speak, then you have to raise the action, or extend the nut. It is granted, a PITA, to have one guitar not dedicated one way or the other.

With a dual purpose instrument, touch is going to be a way more important factor.

Ideally, the best guitar for slide work, would be something like an old Martin with a FLAT fretboard. With radiused fretboards, you need a curved slide to match. A true bottleneck comes to mind. With straight slides such as the Dunlop, if you push down too hard, the G & D string frets are going to foul the slide.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 04-19-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Captaincranky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
Bikewer

My resonator guitar is set up just about right; you can fret it with a bit more effort than necessary for a "regular" guitar, and play with the slide quite freely. It's got a flat fretboard, nut and saddle.
Slide-meister Bob Brozman recommends just getting a cheap acoustic and setting it up for slide playing...When you get your licks down you can think about upgrading.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
skilly1

How do I know if this will fit http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/guita...roduct-overview
I have quite big hands
What's medium wall, medium knuckle
Looks like they only have the Dunlop 222 in this shop

I wanna order one tonight so responses are appreciated

Thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
stepchildusmc

get the large one just to be safe...and a box of condoms in case it's too large !!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
skilly1

I posted that in a hurry, just reading it back, it wasn't intended to sound that way
Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
stepchildusmc

jus' thinkin' my friend... you get good on the slide guitar..the condoms are already there...just in case ! wink wink, nudge nudge !

Rate This Thread: