Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
frostmourne7

Vypyr VIP

Is the new Peavey Vypyr VIP series good enough? I mean, is it close enough to the legendary Vypyr Tube 60's performance, tone versatility and budget friendly features?

I'll be buying my second amplifier maybe 3-5 months from now and I will be using it for practice, recording stuff and I'll be playing mainly almost every metal genre that exist(lol) and some clean stuff as well.

Most people already answered that I should get a Vypyr Tube 60 but the problem is it will be hard finding a new one and even a used one. Peavey's only distributor here in my country does not even sell that model anymore either so i'm thinking of buying a Vypyr VIP 2 or 3 & the Sanpera II footswitch as well.

Also, is it good enough for the VIP series to handle boutique metal distortion pedals such as Amptweaker TM Pro, Wampler Triple Wreck, etc. ?

Or any other amp suggestions perhaps?

I hope you guys can help me decide.

Thanks!
frostmourne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

The VIPs are still pretty good, however arguably not as good as the tube 60.

What country are you in? will help us find one.

The reason they dont sell them from the dealer is that they discontinued them for the VIP series.

i have never used any pedals with a modeller as they tend not to work as well. and most likely you wont need them with any of the vypyr/vip series as the high gain amp models are good enough.
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
TU2=>MXR SUPER COMP=>WHAMMY IV=>TIMMY=>MXR 10 BAND=>NS2=>FX LOOP=>PH3=>DD20
loki_lulamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
frostmourne7

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_lulamen
The VIPs are still pretty good, however arguably not as good as the tube 60.

Though I haven't heard the sound of a tube 60 i tend to agree since most people here in UG or in other forums says that it's a kick ass amplifier.

I'm from the philippines by the way.

I see. I should've thought that in the first place. lol. It's just that i'm still hooked with how other people play those boutique pedals and they sound really nice.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

tbh you probbably wanna look at a small tube amp if you wanna run those pedals. as they will work better.

have a look at whos playing them and what amps they use because that what will make most difference. A modeller will take the signal it receives and attempt to change/morph it to what it should sound like according to the amp model. A tube/standard SS amp will just amplify the signal that it gets. hence pedals work better in non modelling amps. However this is a generalisation. Not all modellers work like that(ie. Kemper/axe FX etc).

Boutique pedals will get you gain but if you are looking to play metal then they are not really the way to go. But then again its your choice.
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Am I the only on that thinks the vip is a steaming pile of crap? The vyper tube is alright though. Do you currently own the boutique metal pedals??? If so a small tube amp will serve you much better than a moddeling amp.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
frostmourne7

Quote:
tbh you probbably wanna look at a small tube amp if you wanna run those pedals. as they will work better.

i have that in mind too but my budget doesn't meet the small tube amp + boutique metal distortion pedal set up. since you said it already, boutique pedals on a modeller isn't a good idea i should really just rely on the vypyr for it's amps and effects if it's not a piece of crap that's not worth buying.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

LB might think that the vypyrs and the VIP are crap but most people around here dont. (nothing personal LB )

The Vypyr/VIP will get you a better tone than running a good pedal through a bad amp.

Stick with that and when you have more cash get a better tube amp like a 6505+ or equivalent and you will most likely find that even the boutique pedals will not stand up to the roar of a good tube amp.
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
Old 09-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
frostmourne7

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing battle
Am I the only on that thinks the vip is a steaming pile of crap?

maybe, maybe not i guess. that's why i'm asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing battle
Do you currently own the boutique metal pedals??? If so a small tube amp will serve you much better than a moddeling amp.

i own a boutique distortion pedal but not as metal as the TM Pro & Triple Wreck. The reason i ask if the VIP will do good with those pedals is just for the sake of trying different things out but that will not happen for you guys saved me from my stupid curiosity but thinking of possibilities, i guess it's okay if i purchase one of those if i'm going to buy it with a nice smal tube amp
Old 09-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
frostmourne7

Quote:
LB might think that the vypyrs and the VIP are crap but most people around here dont. (nothing personal LB ).

maybe he had a bad experience with it. don't you think? or just different tone preferences.

Quote:
The Vypyr/VIP will get you a better tone than running a good pedal through a bad amp.

Stick with that and when you have more cash get a better tube amp like a 6505+ or equivalent and you will most likely find that even the boutique pedals will not stand up to the roar of a good tube amp.

I'm all set. I'll be getting one 3-5 months from now but the sooner the better. lol.

I'm thinking of getting an
ENGL Powerball II(or III if there will be an upgrade 2-3 years from now) or Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier or EVH 5150 III after 5 years i guess. but you'll never know. haha!

Thanks man you're a great help and so did LB too hehe
Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

Ive never liked mesa amps but the other two are outstanding amps. but dont disregard the mesa on my account, they are still great amps.

if you want that sort of tone the vypyr and VIP will get you pretty damn close.
The 5150 is the third incarnation of the peavey 5150 series. when eddie left peavey they re branded them to 6505.

Also you wouldnt want to run boutique metal distortion petals through any of them they have more than enough gain on tap.
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
Old 09-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Pedals work perfectly fine with Vypyrs. They are completely analog amps, only the effects are digital models.

That said I wouldn't run a boutique distortion pedal through a Vypyr. Ultimately it would be wasted compared to running it through a proper tube amp, or even into a proper modeling unit (Axe FX/Kemper).

I've owned damn near every Vypyr that's come out. 15, 75, Tube 120H, and the VIP-3. I don't feel like typing out my usual spiel, but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask me.

Very brief summary is that the VIP is more dynamic and organic, feels and sounds more like a real tube amp. The original series is more stiff and processed sounding - it sounds like what you would expect the models to sound like after they've been recorded and double tracked and mixed.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #12
frostmourne7

Quote:
Ive never liked mesa amps but the other two are outstanding amps. but dont disregard the mesa on my account, they are still great amps.

I guess you're not the only one that said that but anyway tone preferences again

Quote:
if you want that sort of tone the vypyr and VIP will get you pretty damn close.

that seemed to be motivating. i mean, for a cheap stuff i can get the tones that i want.

Quote:
Also you wouldnt want to run boutique metal distortion petals through any of them they have more than enough gain on tap.

yeah, high gain amplifiers were the mother of all boutique metal distortions after all. but if you know misery index, i think one of their guitarist uses a TM/TM pro though his tube amp. I read that he used it for their 3rd album. anyway, that's just information.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #13
frostmourne7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Pedals work perfectly fine with Vypyrs. They are completely analog amps, only the effects are digital models.

That said I wouldn't run a boutique distortion pedal through a Vypyr. Ultimately it would be wasted compared to running it through a proper tube amp, or even into a proper modeling unit (Axe FX/Kemper).

I've owned damn near every Vypyr that's come out. 15, 75, Tube 120H, and the VIP-3. I don't feel like typing out my usual spiel, but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask me.

Very brief summary is that the VIP is more dynamic and organic, feels and sounds more like a real tube amp. The original series is more stiff and processed sounding - it sounds like what you would expect the models to sound like after they've been recorded and double tracked and mixed.

I'm really concerned about the distortion of a transtube circuitry in a bandit at least. but in the VIP 3 can i get saturated distortion tone that can cover almost every metal genre that exist? does it produce convincing rhythm sound like that 6505, 6505+? how about doing lead stuff? are they good on solos specially when doing harmonic pinches because i really like them on solos.

also the clean stuff, does it give you that sparkly or warm sounding clean channel? i also need good clean stuff for layers and complementing warm distortion on songs specially during chorus. and will be using that feature for pop punk covers, experimental rock/metal, ambient type of music, something like that.

how about the speaker reliability? are they that sturdy?

how do you use it for recording? can i use it to connect directly to an audio interface? or i'll just have to mic it instead of using the usb port connecting to my computer? I'll be using a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 for recording stuff.

I'm still thinking of other questions but that will be for now.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #14
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

by the looks of it he runs his board straight into the fx loop of a dual rectifier, completely bypassing the pre amp.

that TM is not a bad metal pedal by the sounds of it, but gimme a full bore high gain tube amp any day
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
Old 09-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #15
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostmourne7
I'm really concerned about the distortion of a transtube circuitry in a bandit at least. but in the VIP 3 can i get saturated distortion tone that can cover almost every metal genre that exist? does it produce convincing rhythm sound like that 6505, 6505+? how about doing lead stuff? are they good on solos specially when doing harmonic pinches because i really like them on solos.

Yes it probably will, thats the beauty of modellers, have everything you ever wanted at the push of a button.

Quote:
also the clean stuff, does it give you that sparkly or warm sounding clean channel? i also need good clean stuff for layers and complementing warm distortion on songs specially during chorus. and will be using that feature for pop punk covers, experimental rock/metal, ambient type of music, something like that.

I have heard better cleans from a a modeller, however they are still good

Quote:
how about the speaker reliability? are they that sturdy?

Unsure about this one, all i have heard is that the tube 60 could do with a swap.

Quote:
how do you use it for recording? can i use it to connect directly to an audio interface? or i'll just have to mic it instead of using the usb port connecting to my computer? I'll be using a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 for recording stuff.

you can record from the USB.

Another suggestion that might be a bit of a curve ball, do you need this for rehearsing with a drummer/gigging. If not, you could look into amplitube or something along those lines. the cabs are a bit gash but you can find some damn good impulses for free these days. and voila! you have every amp and tone that you could need.
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #16
frostmourne7

Quote:
Yes it probably will, thats the beauty of modellers, have everything you ever wanted at the push of a button.

I have heard better cleans from a a modeller, however they are still good

i see. that's very convenient i guess. can't wait to have one!

Quote:
Unsure about this one, all i have heard is that the tube 60 could do with a swap.

really? haven't read something like that about the tube 60. but anyway i don't if there's a time that i will be on that position. or i'll just buy a new amp, probably a tube one i guess.

Quote:
Another suggestion that might be a bit of a curve ball, do you need this for rehearsing with a drummer/gigging. If not, you could look into amplitube or something along those lines. the cabs are a bit gash but you can find some damn good impulses for free these days. and voila! you have every amp and tone that you could need.

i'm going to check that out too so i can have variations in sound. i guess you can almost have it all through the digital side of music.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #17
frostmourne7

Quote:
by the looks of it he runs his board straight into the fx loop of a dual rectifier, completely bypassing the pre amp.

that TM is not a bad metal pedal by the sounds of it, but gimme a full bore high gain tube amp any day

yeah, i would stick to something like that if i have a bunch of cash anyway. a high gain tube amp is a high gain tube amp

Rate This Thread: