Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
DrewMeyer

Should I do it?

Alright, so I've had my Fender Modern Player Tele deluxe thinline up on Craigslist for $360. I want to sell it and use some of my own money to buy a classic series 60's strat used. The problem is I have only gotten lame trade offers and one offer for $300. I don't know, though, if I should take the $300. If I go with the $300 I'll have enough to buy the strat. However, I'll lose $60 off what I might be able to make if I wait for someone else who will pay full price. This guy doesn't seem very patient and if I keep him waiting I think he will probably find another deal and the guitar I want to buy might not be available for long, so I don't know if I should go with the deal or wait for another buyer to come along. Any help?
DrewMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I don't see many MIM teles on CL, and I see lots of guys wanting to trade their strat for a tele. How long have you had it listed?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
SteveHOC
Used Register

That's a MIC Tele, right? How long have you had it up? I've had guitars sit for a couple weeks with no bites, though $360 is steep for that guitar unless you have a hard case with it.

Edit: if the $300 gets you the guitar you want, then I'd do it. Considering the codes available, one could get that guitar new for maybe slightly more online, and they get a warranty. Used guitars rarely retain value well unless you got a great deal to begin with.

Last edited by SteveHOC : 02-24-2013 at 09:56 PM.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
ghobby

Yeah, for $90 more you can get a new one. Probably less than that if you can work a deal. You might get a better deal if you can find the guitar you want at a store and do some kind of trade.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
DrewMeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
That's a MIC Tele, right? How long have you had it up? I've had guitars sit for a couple weeks with no bites, though $360 is steep for that guitar unless you have a hard case with it.

Edit: if the $300 gets you the guitar you want, then I'd do it. Considering the codes available, one could get that guitar new for maybe slightly more online, and they get a warranty. Used guitars rarely retain value well unless you got a great deal to begin with.

I get what you're saying. I did get the guitar for $380 so $300 isn't too much of a loss I suppose. I've had it up for a week or so.

Also, I just got an offer for an ovation preacher for a straight trade it seems. Looked them up and they seem to be pretty rare and slightly valuable guitars. Would it be wise to trade for this guitar just to resell it? It looks like I could get potentially $500-$600 on this guitar, as opposed to $300 on the tele.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
SteveHOC
Used Register

That's a contingency I wouldn't get into if I were you. I can't tell you how many times I've traded up and had a harder time selling because of increased price. If you don't mind sitting tight with another guitar for a little while, go for it, but if you're just looking to get the Strat quickly, I'd just sell the Tele.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
DrewMeyer

Quote:
That's a contingency I wouldn't get into if I were you. I can't tell you how many times I've traded up and had a harder time selling because of increased price. If you don't mind sitting tight with another guitar for a little while, go for it, but if you're just looking to get the Strat quickly, I'd just sell the Tele.

I by no means need the strat right now, and would be willing to sit tight with the Ovation if I could get more money in the end. Is there much a a market for these vintage ovations that I would be able to eventually sell a preacher for around $600? And anyways, to me this seems like a pretty safe investment because even if I can't sell the ovation, I could take it to Guitar Center and sell it to them for $300 anyways and get the same thing I would have gotten with the Tele.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I'd get the preacher and keep it. Ovation made some sweet electrics.

And I didn't realize Fender makes guitars in China(that aren't Squiers). In that case, you'd better jump on that $300 offer or the Preacher.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #9
samuraigoomba

I wouldn't pay even $300 for a modern player. You should take the 300 or take the trade. That Preacher looks awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I like my modern player jag. But I payed a lot less than $300 for mine.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #10
DrewMeyer

Hey thanks for the advice. I'm still waiting to see if the guy wants to do a straight trade, in which case I'm fairly sure I'll do it. If he wants me to add some money I'll just sell it for the $300 and buy me a Strat. Thanks for all the input, but any more is still welcome
Old 02-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #11
progdude93
Banned

You can buy a really nice MIM strat on ebay for around 250 (with a case). If you really want a strat, sell the tele for 300 and buy a strat on ebay.
progdude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #12
ybqpvjst
Banned

I'd get the preacher and keep it. Ovation made some sweet electrics. [img]***************************/12.jpg[/img]
ybqpvjst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
DrewMeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdude93
You can buy a really nice MIM strat on ebay for around 250 (with a case). If you really want a strat, sell the tele for 300 and buy a strat on ebay.

But you see, I don't like the standard MIM strats. I'm looking to buy a Classic Series strat, which sells for a lot more, even used.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
SteveHOC
Used Register

I honestly haven't seen a nice MIM Strat for $250 with a case on Craigslist ever, and I live in the land of Strats and Teles (Dallas, TX). I've seen beaters with gig bags, but nothing more than that for $250. If you're confident about the Ovation and resale, do it while you can.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
samuraigoomba

I just checked the 'bay and the cheapest ovation preacher is like $700 on there. Just saying.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
KillerLolrus
Mac Hater

Ovation, do it now.
KillerLolrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
DrewMeyer

Alright. thanks guys! I just hope he gets back with me now, because everyone I've dealt with on craigslist so far has been pretty fickle and few have actually email me back. Honestly, even if I can't sell it, I think it's a pretty sweet guitar I'd like to keep. But I'd definitely prefer to sell it if can get $600 out of it.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
SteveHOC
Used Register

Yeah, good luck with keeping contact, honestly. I just sold a guitar last night after juggling four buyers who sucked at keeping any kind of communication. I've always expressed a sense of urgency when buying a guitar, but not everyone experiences that. Especially if he knows what the Ovation is worth, he may be fielding other offers/trades to see what pans out. Just try to be patient, as hard as that can be, something will come along if this falls through.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #19
progdude93
Banned

Quote:
I honestly haven't seen a nice MIM Strat for $250 with a case on Craigslist ever, and I live in the land of Strats and Teles (Dallas, TX). I've seen beaters with gig bags, but nothing more than that for $250. If you're confident about the Ovation and resale, do it while you can.

I don't care what CL says, I've seen plenty on eBay.
progdude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
SteveHOC
Used Register

Hmm, haven't seen them there either (at "buy it now" at least). Either way, it's still not the guitar he was looking for, so, yeah.

Rate This Thread: