Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
J2G
UG Member

I Suck Still :/...

So my boy and his girlfriend came to my place in Toronto for the weekend. I've been playing guitar for 2 years next month. When I plugged in to play and show, I was just lost as to what to play, technique appeared sloppy, missing where I don't normally miss.
Now I've played with the guy before, he's been drumming for a while now, and we played in the same band for a couple of months before I moved, so he's seen how good I was back in like April.

I wanted to see for myself also if I've made improvement but what I heard was garbage. It was frustrating and motivating, not because they were expecting magic, but because I guess I was. I feel like I should've made tons more progress since last April or even last week. I need to ensure I get better... My technique for sure was just sloppy man, do I take it all the way back to the ABCs and start crawling?
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Performance anxiety dude, it happens to everyone.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
Nitnatsnok

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2G
So my boy and his girlfriend came to my place in Toronto for the weekend. I've been playing guitar for 2 years next month. When I plugged in to play and show, I was just lost as to what to play, technique appeared sloppy, missing where I don't normally miss.
Now I've played with the guy before, he's been drumming for a while now, and we played in the same band for a couple of months before I moved, so he's seen how good I was back in like April.

I wanted to see for myself also if I've made improvement but what I heard was garbage. It was frustrating and motivating, not because they were expecting magic, but because I guess I was. I feel like I should've made tons more progress since last April or even last week. I need to ensure I get better... My technique for sure was just sloppy man, do I take it all the way back to the ABCs and start crawling?

That right there is you're problem. It's easier to perform when you know what you're doing. Most people who play live has set lists and a clear idea of what exactly they are going to play.

I also play poorly when I don't know I'm going to be performing and don't know what to play. This is despite the fact I've done plenty of shows.

Last edited by Nitnatsnok : 01-12-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Nitnatsnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Performance anxiety dude, it happens to everyone.

and two years is very little when it comes to overcoming it

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Haha I have this all the time. The fact that I barely know any full songs/only a bunch of riffs, solo's and licks doesn't make it better.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
Haha I have this all the time. The fact that I barely know any full songs/only a bunch of riffs, solo's and licks doesn't make it better.

Eh, most of the time if you're a decent improviser most people won't care what you do.

Although now that I'm thinking about it I will also warn people: unless they've asked you specifically to play, most people don't care at all.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:03 AM   #7
cocacolabottle
taught God to play guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIsIbleNoIsE
..and two years is very little when it comes to overcoming it

Exactly. I still get nervous when other musicians watch me play, even after 8 years of playing. The best thing you can do is just bite the bullet and keep practicing in front of others because it's the only way you'll get over it. But as someone has already said, there's a great difference between your problem and performing a rehearsed setlist live. A few tips though: if people hear you play for the first time, start off slow so you manage their expectations. Don't try to pick up the guitar and immediately start tapping and sweeping because it's only downhill from there.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
cocacolabottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
philwhite

I've been playing for 7 or 8 years and I'm far from good. Just keep at it. This year I was finally able to play a few songs I was stuggling with in the past.
philwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
GeetarGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Although now that I'm thinking about it I will also warn people: unless they've asked you specifically to play, most people don't care at all.

That is soo very true. -_-
GeetarGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
J2G
UG Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys! <3 UG's good posters...
Muah!
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
The_Warrior
Banned

You probably weren't as bad as u thot. Also next time be prepared! be able to play in your sleep practice standing up sitting down on camera on tape etc.

SAS don't just go and raid terrorist compounds like that without reheresing loads! And even they get it wrong. See what im saying?

Also try easier songs!
The_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
jurigjarian

keep the spirit of comrade
jurigjarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #13
david.peavy.712

Cool

Happens to all of us, but yes you have to plan your work & work your plan. Some learn faster, some slower (me) but practice with music, metronome, etc.. for timing. Whatever you do resist the "same old riffs/songs trap" for days/weeks on end...stretch yourself & practice on a regular schedule. Even 30 minutes a day is better than 4 hours one day a month~!
david.peavy.712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
DeathCS-Fan

Learn a few songs front to back. Practice singing them a lot too. If you have 3 or 4 go to song, you'd be surprised how easily it is to impress people. Keep tryin dude.
DeathCS-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #15
Phallic Tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words

I'm been playing or what feels like 10 years on and off again and I'm still pretty much exactly what you describe. It's pathetic. After 10 years, I should have been a virtuoso!

I know I do have the skillset to be better than I am though, but my problem is just pretty much laziness. Thee's a ton of semi difficult songs I'm sure I could lean if I put in the time, but I don't have the dedication to learn it all.
Phallic Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: