Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Vin71

Question about different tunings

Hey, I'm new and learning the fretboard currently in the standard tuning. I was wondering if I decide to go to some different tunings, won't all the notes be out of place on the fretboard? Would I have to learn the fretboard over again on different tunings? I still don't understand why different tunings are used alot, does it give something you can't get in standard or something? I'm about to experiment with it, I got 10 46 string gauge, are these able to do different tunings? I heard sometimes you need some heavier strings for some reason
Vin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
mattrusso

Yes, if you use a different tuning, the notes will be in different places. In fact, that's the idea! People use them for many different reasons. These include (but are not limited to) changing the instrument's range, being able to utilize open strings in different ways, opening up possibilities for different chord voicings, being able to to play powerchords with one finger, playing slide, and wanting to play along with other peoples' music that is in an alternate tuning.

What people told you about using heavier strings is sometimes correct. For lower tunings, thicker strings definitely work better. Personally, I'm not into doing that, (the only other tuning besides standard that I've used in years is Eb standard to play along with Hendrix tunes) so the question of what your strings can handle is probably best left to someone else.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Vin71

So different tunings you generally just figure out where all the new notes are right?

I had almost thought you play the same chords and stuff the same way just in a different tuning or something

1 finger powerchords wow lol

I was thinking of trying Eb and D standard or drop d
as some of my fav powermetal bands play those
if anyone has experience, would my string gauge be alright for that?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
AeonOptic

Definitely. I use 9-42s and mine are perfectly fine for stuff like that.
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Vin71

Alright thanks, I'll try out it.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Nameless742
UG Fanatic

One reason people downtune is to accomodate the singer's vocal range.
Downtuning standard is just like putting a capo on, except instead of increasing pitch, you're lowering it. All the shapes stay the same unless on non-standard tuning.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Nameless742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

If you really learn the fretboard, and learn it well, then different tunings are nothing more than a bit of an inconvenience. You should still know what your playing without much thought.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
RecnepsDaGreat

The only time different turnings are needed is when a song goes lower that your guitar can play, or it is easier to play. For example, drop D tuning makes a traditional bar chord into a straight bar which is easier to play in certain circumstances
Old 11-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecnepsDaGreat
The only time different turnings are needed is when a song goes lower that your guitar can play, or it is easier to play. For example, drop D tuning makes a traditional bar chord into a straight bar which is easier to play in certain circumstances

Wrong. Drop D makes traditional E form barre chords harder. It makes power chords easier. And tunings are also used to experiment with and also for learning songs in odd tunings. Plus some people just prefer some tunings over others.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: