Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
peachesenregali
UG Newbie

Proposal to forbid theological discussion on ultimate-guitar.com

Too often you find lengthy arguments concerning matters of faith on this website. Considering the vast majority of members here have the intellectual capacity of a brick, I propose a ban on any theological discussions. It should keep the moderators on their toes.
peachesenregali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

Despite how thoroughly and eloquently you've put forward your case, I am astonished to find I am not persuaded by it as well as being quite happy to take the position of firm opposition to your proposal.

Regards.

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
ryanbwags

Yeah, I have to agree with theguitarist. This is a forum. If you don't want theological discussions, don't click the post. Walk away from the thread if it bugs you.
EHX: Metal Muff
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
EHX: Big Muff Pi
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
ryanbwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
peachesenregali
UG Newbie

Very well. I look forward to more badly researched, offensive and reactionary posts.

It doesn't bug me so much, just a proposal to save people embarrassing themselves.

Peace.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
AcousticMetal99
A walking oxymoron

People on here post about all kinds of stuff. Lots of the threads (I'm looking at the Pit, here), are badly researched, and could be considered mildly offensive (or very, sometimes).
It can be interesting to see some arguments now and then, because some people do make sensible posts.

At the end of the day, do what ryanb said - just don't read those threads if you dislike them, or report them if there is something genuinely offensive there.
AcousticMetal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Iommianity

Seeing as how people can be misinformed and ignorant about anything and everything, one aspect of that, no matter how major, doesn't bother me at all. People are still going to act like they just discovered atheism, and the site's still going to have people who lack the critical thinking to take a second look at their faith. That's life. Just don't click on what you don't want to see.
Iommianity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
peachesenregali
UG Newbie

As I said it's not that it bugs me and I don't want to see these. I just think it makes the place look untidy.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

Everyone is naive at some point, and sometimes people learn through making an ass of themselves. Let it be.
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

live and let stupid?

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
If you don't like it don't get involved in it and don't read it.

That's what i do.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
peachesenregali
UG Newbie

Being irreligious myself it doesn't offend me, but others might take it to heart. I'm sure they can handle it.

I must have been bored when I posted this thread.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Colohue
UG Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesenregali
Too often you find lengthy arguments concerning matters of faith on this website. Considering the vast majority of members here have the intellectual capacity of a brick, I propose a ban on any theological discussions. It should keep the moderators on their toes.

I find this badly researched, offensive and reactionary.

The vast majority of members here are as average as any vast majority, they're just quicker to argue because it's the internet and they don't fear consequences. If you'd read any of the philosophical or theological discussion threads you'd see that there's a lot of good stuff in them.

I find being compared to a brick offensive, obviously.

And you're clearly only posting this in response to a thread that had a theological debate.

UG discussions are a more organised version of life discussions. Let it flow.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
Colohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
peachesenregali
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colohue
I find this badly researched, offensive and reactionary.

The vast majority of members here are as average as any vast majority, they're just quicker to argue because it's the internet and they don't fear consequences. If you'd read any of the philosophical or theological discussion threads you'd see that there's a lot of good stuff in them.

I find being compared to a brick offensive, obviously.

And you're clearly only posting this in response to a thread that had a theological debate.

UG discussions are a more organised version of life discussions. Let it flow.

I relinquish your first point.

As to your second point you're clearly a diamond in the rough but being only one person you fail to evoke the vast majority.

I posted this in acknowledgement of an article relative to Korn. (Dubiously enough a band I don't even take an interest in so why I clicked I don't know)

People tend to get immoderately charged on the motion of religion, preeminently so on this website where internet douchebaggery is ubiquitous. We live in a melting pot of ethnicities, beliefs and religions. This website shouldn't be the place to convert people to your beliefs (as many here do) or to argue over which religion is the most nefarious. Symposiums on religion are led by paroxysm and fervor and are inexorably hard arguments to put back, but some people on here use perturbation manifestly. Knowing how excruciating a symposium on faith can become wouldn't it be sane to leave that to the forums on websites such as richarddawkins.net or debatingchristianity.com?

I'm not saying religion shouldn't be discussed full stop, in fact I would subsidise it. Just not on a website like this. Not for my final cause, but for the commiserable suckers who are going to get worked up over an asinine comment from a prototypical UG cockburger.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
Aralingh
Intelligent person

This would be impractical, to ban one topic is to make way to censoring others. If you want to do any of the sort, you must propose a methodology that identifies whether or not a topic is fit for discussion, you must outline the algorithm and criteria of such a method and only then argue on whether or not it should be put to use.

You have not done nor wish to do any of this.
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesenregali
I posted this in acknowledgement of an article relative to Korn. (Dubiously enough a band I don't even take an interest in so why I clicked I don't know)

People tend to get immoderately charged on the motion of religion, preeminently so on this website where internet douchebaggery is ubiquitous. We live in a melting pot of ethnicities, beliefs and religions. This website shouldn't be the place to convert people to your beliefs (as many here do) or to argue over which religion is the most nefarious. Symposiums on religion are led by paroxysm and fervor and are inexorably hard arguments to put back, but some people on here use perturbation manifestly. Knowing how excruciating a symposium on faith can become wouldn't it be sane to leave that to the forums on websites such as richarddawkins.net or debatingchristianity.com?

I'm not saying religion shouldn't be discussed full stop, in fact I would subsidise it. Just not on a website like this. Not for my final cause, but for the commiserable suckers who are going to get worked up over an asinine comment from a prototypical UG cockburger.

When discussions/arguments become too heated, or are too off-topic and distract from the issue at hand, then that's what the UG moderating team are here for. But as long as a discussion is relevant, and doesn't descend into petty name-calling etc., there is no reason to censor it.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
peachesenregali
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aralingh
This would be impractical, to ban one topic is to make way to censoring others. If you want to do any of the sort, you must propose a methodology that identifies whether or not a topic is fit for discussion, you must outline the algorithm and criteria of such a method and only then argue on whether or not it should be put to use.

You have not done nor wish to do any of this.

We could censor political debate as well. Every time a news article mentioning Dave Mustaine and his ideology is posted the arguments turn sour in an instant.

...come to think of it you're right. It can't be done, they would have to shut the site down or ban comments altogether.

I concede. I only hope my shoestrings are strong enough...
Old 09-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #17
peachesenregali
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
When discussions/arguments become too heated, or are too off-topic and distract from the issue at hand, then that's what the UG moderating team are here for. But as long as a discussion is relevant, and doesn't descend into petty name-calling etc., there is no reason to censor it.

I would reply to this with a cogent answer but I'm off to buy an ice cube large enough to hold my own weight, upon which I will stand shoestring-necktied bound to the aging beams of the cellar of this house.

It's so cold tonight, this may take a while.

Godspeed...or not, I wouldn't want to offend anyone.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #18
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Denied.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: