Password
Search:

Old 03-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #21
robertwilliam9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Try a shape like

Code:
||--------------------9----|| B||--------------10---------|| G||--------11---------------|| D||--12---------------------|| A||-------------------------|| E||-------------------------||

So your fingers are "in order" as well, that can help a lot. At the end of the day, can you sweep muted string accurately to a metronome? If not, right hand is the problem.

Yeah that's what I've usually started with.

I can definitely sweep muted strings with a metronome or even a random drum beat. My rhythm and timing have always been pretty good (I'm more of a rhythm player anyways).

So that's probably not it. Whenever I add the left hand, things get painfully slow.

I think that video is pretty helpful as well.
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
guitarchalk.com
robertwilliam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #22
Andy Pollow

Maybe its the left hand position? When I used to play fingers parallel to the frets I could sweep big arps all day like Jason Becker with no problems. But when I switched to playing with angled fingers I would stumble fingering big arps. Yngwie dosent sweep 6 string arps very often. Paul Gilbert plays angled too and when he used to sweep he usually did 4 string shapes mostly. And he looked a little awkward with the left hand while sweeping even up and down 4 strings. I think parallel to the frets is best for chords and arpeggios and angled is best for everything else. Now I tune my strings EADGCF all 4ths so that works best to me for always angled fingers for everything.

Last edited by Andy Pollow : 03-28-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Andy Pollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
robertwilliam9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pollow
Maybe its the left hand position? When I used to play fingers parallel to the frets I could sweep big arps all day like Jason Becker with no problems. But when I switched to playing with angled fingers I would stumble fingering big arps. Yngwie dosent sweep 6 string arps very often. Paul Gilbert plays angled too and when he used to sweep he usually did 4 string shapes mostly. And he looked a little awkward with the left hand while sweeping even up and down 4 strings. I think parallel to the frets is best for chords and arpeggios and angled is best for everything else. Now I tune my strings EADGCF all 4ths so that works best to me for always angled fingers for everything.

That's an interesting point, although I don't angle my fingers very much. Typically they'll be straight up and down, staying vertical with the fret separators.
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
guitarchalk.com
robertwilliam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
Renots024Young

Nobody answered the question lol. I'm curious too. Should you keep the pick parallel, or angled?
Renots024Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #25
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Preference imo. Just don't make a large angle for the down and then reverse it on the up, that's just too much change for faster sweeping licks.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #26
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips

It's weird, for me, I've never really had problems sweep picking. It's just a technique that came naturally. Except for muting, which dosn't really count. But I changed my technique and my muting was pretty good after that. I found I was using my arm, not my hand. My pick was going straight up and down, but I found if I move my hand in a arch, my muting is really good.

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer

Last edited by Dr Sixstring : 03-30-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Dr Sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: