Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Acetrouble

Orange TH30 versus EVH 5150 III 50: Versatility (channel-switching, MIDI)

Both amps, the Orange TH30 head and the EVH 5150 III 50 are in the same price range in Germany (around 800 Euros). I haven't had the chance to test-drive either of them, yet, but I've heard the Orange in concert and thought it sounded great.

My friend, who played the Orange TH30 on that gig only uses its clean channel and steps on a distortion pedal for dirty sounds.

I've been wondering whether that method could be used on the Orange to make it a semi 3-channel amp. So you could have clean, crunch (with pedal) and dirty.
But as far as I know the TH30 doesn't have MIDI functionality, so I guess it would require quite some step dancing.

As for the EVH 5150 III 50:
Everyone I've spoken to seems to quite love that amp for its high-gain sounds. But channels 1 (clean) and 2 (rhythm) share volume and gain knobs, so you can't really use all three sounds live, because of the volume difference when switching.
But I heard this could be solved via MIDI programming.

Which amp do you prefer? The EVH is obviously a tad more versatile, but for punk and metal I thought the Orange sounded as good if not slightly better on the dirty channel (judging by video reviews mostly). More saturation to my ears, which I like.

Regards
Josh

Last edited by Acetrouble : 12-06-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Acetrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
will42
UG's bassoon-master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetrouble

I've been wondering whether that method could be used on the Orange to make it a semi 3-channel amp. So you could have clean, crunch (with pedal) and dirty.
But as far as I know the TH30 doesn't have MIDI functionality, so I guess it would require quite some step dancing.

Clean boost pedal perhaps?
Either use it on the clean channel to push it into overdrive, or set the drive channel to a crunch tone and use a boost topush it into full dirt?

As for the 5150, people here seem to rave on it, but I can't comment, never having played one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
will42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Acetrouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by will42
Clean boost pedal perhaps?
Either use it on the clean channel to push it into overdrive, or set the drive channel to a crunch tone and use a boost topush it into full dirt?

As for the 5150, people here seem to rave on it, but I can't comment, never having played one.

Assuming I would use a boost pedal on the clean channel, but wouldn't want it on the dirty channel, then that means I would have to do double-stepping everytime I switched to the dirty one, right?

I guess there's no other way since the TH30 doesn't seem to have MIDI.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Ultima117

I own the evh; it's incredibly versatile and sounds amazing! You would not be disapointed (:
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
ESP LTD MH-1000 Deluxe in GREEN!!
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Ultima117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
My friend, who played the Orange TH30 on that gig only uses its clean channel and steps on a distortion pedal for dirty sounds.

yup, sure. in fact, that'd make it a pseudo-4 channel amp- clean, clean with pedal, overdrive channel, overdrive channel with pedal. and then you can start stacking pedals, too.

of course, you can do that with the evh as well to get a bazillion channels.

it's really more which one sounds more the way you want, and if either doesn't have a feature which you consider to be a dealbreaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
mmjohn
Call me John

All 3 channels on the 5150iii sound amazing. It's an amp the volume knob on your guitar will become the most important knob on your rig....channel 1 and 2 gain on 6....it will clean up awesome with your volume knob and a tube screamer on channel 2 sounds awesome....
Old 12-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Acetrouble

Thanks for the input, guys! :-)

But also, like I asked before, without MIDI programming it would require quite some step-dancing activating/deactivating a boost pedal plus switching the actual channels, right?

This wouldn't be a problem on the EVH, it's MIDI compatible, but the Orange isn't to my knowledge.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Acetrouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjohn
All 3 channels on the 5150iii sound amazing. It's an amp the volume knob on your guitar will become the most important knob on your rig....channel 1 and 2 gain on 6....it will clean up awesome with your volume knob and a tube screamer on channel 2 sounds awesome....

So you use full volume on your guitar with the clean channel and back it off on the rhythm channel?

Also heard of some guys who use MIDI to even out the volume difference when switching from channel 1 to 2.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
mmjohn
Call me John

Quote:
So you use full volume on your guitar with the clean channel and back it off on the rhythm channel?

Also heard of some guys who use MIDI to even out the volume difference when switching from channel 1 to 2.

On the clean channel it depends on the amps volume turn it down for nice cleans and turn it up for bluesy stuff. On channel 2 every turn of the volume knob is a new sweet tone. I like a tubescreamer on channel 2 a lot!!!! Yes on the midi switching I was going to do that with my Nova System and a direct box and create patches. But setting the gain on channel 1/2 to noon really balances out the 2 channels and I've pretty much forgotten about it.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
mmjohn
Call me John

A nice clean boost is highly recommended also for balancing out 1 and 2....i use a Xotic EP booster and it was like it was made for this amp!!!!!! It fattens up channel 1 raises volume without touching your tone. Channel 2 is fattened up a bit but the volume isn't changed as much. It's one of those pedals you leave on all the time. Using the dip switches inside the pedal it's pretty versatile pedal....add just top end sparkle, fatten up the bottom end or in vintage mode.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

A lot of MIDI controllers and MFX gadgets have relay outputs that will simulate a footswitch being opened and closed. That's how I do it on a non-MIDI enabled amp. When you select a program it also switches the amp. No tap dancing required. I don't use an overdrive as such on the main rig, I just program different levels of clean boost mated to the appropriate amp channel.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 12-08-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
Acetrouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
A lot of MIDI controllers and MFX gadgets have relay outputs that will simulate a footswitch being opened and closed. That's how I do it on a non-MIDI enabled amp. When you select a program it also switches the amp. No tap dancing required. I don't use an overdrive as such on the main rig, I just program different levels of clean boost mated to the appropriate amp channel.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

What would be a good Multi-FX unit that could do what you described? Like in the 200 $ price range. I don't need a whole lot, just chorus, delay and flanger. But programming individual volume levels would be awesome!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I'm not the right person to ask about cheap MFX units. I'm still using my GP-8 and Quadraverb I bought in the late 80's.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: