Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
welhamm

UK Ergonomic Guitar Building - Guitarist Needed!

Hi,

I'm currently doing my A level Design and Technology project, and my project is to design and construct an ergonomic electric guitar. Firstly I am looking for a client to oversee the process, any guitarist who will be able to give me some feedback every now and then would be welcome!

One of the parts of the research requires me to carry out market research so if anyone with a standard electric guitar (i.e. not a specifically ergonomic one) could answer these questions, it would be a great help!

Thanks

Chris

What guitars do you currently play whilst touring?
What are your problems with your instruments regarding fragility?
What are your problems with your instruments regarding weight?
What are your problems regarding portability
What are your problems with your instruments regarding ergonomics?
welhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

I'm up for helping out?

I don't gig or tour currently though....

I play Suhr and Charvel. Super Strat and modern Tele shape.

I have never had issues when I used to gig regularly. I did find that when I used to have to go from extreme variations in temperature the neck would adjust slightly.

I'm a big guy so don't find weight an issue. I do however find that some designs have poor balance which is something that could always be improved.

I tend to find huge hard cases are a massive pain in the arse. I actually find my Suhrs decent gig bag more useful and protective than the usual hard case or flying cases.

I find normal guitars aren't that uncomfortable, but I love the idea of a small and balanced guitar that's easy to play, doesn't even need to be an extreme Steinberg or Strandberg style, the most ergonomic guitar I have played to date is a EBMM JP6.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
welhamm

thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I think the problem is that you have fairly ergonomic guitars already! My strat can be played endlessly for hours without feeling uncomfortable, I was looking more for a Les Paul or maybe an extreme being an Explorer players?

I'll get back to you though, been a great help
Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

I can still help help then.

I have gigged with Lps and used an explorer live for 8 years....

Is there anything you specifically wanted to know about those shapes mate?

1977 Burny FLG70
Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
welhamm

Haha couldn't have been better, basically could you answer those questions specifically about each of those guitars? If theres not much you can say you can make it up, its not majorly important its just ticking boxes off for the course. If you are willing it would be great if you'd be my client, id need some background information about you, how long you've been playing etc
Old 11-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Les Paul

There is a popular concern for the head stock breaking due to the vintage style neck join, when they did build a volute in, traditionalists went mental and they removed it. I found that the neck on the one i used to gig, a borrowed Studio, was solid but when you took them from outside to inside a hot club the tuning could shift and the neck would bow ( but so slightly you didnt really notice at all, just a tiny change in intonation). My Gold Top was solid.

I found that the Les Paul was a solid weight, but those who complain about the weight need to man up, yeah it weighs more than a strat but its nothing you can deal with, the only issue I found was trying to move around on stage was you might bang your knee on it. Sitting down it rested nicely and was easy to play.

Gibson LP Hard cases are decent, but rather large and pretty damn heavy, but given the worries of the fragility of the neck join means I would never use a light weight gig bag, given how I know how other people treat guitars that arent their own when at gigs or practice studios.

I found the LP comfortable, the carve top was nice and the neck join allowed for decent (not great) access to upper frets and the neck shape became tiring after a while, a more modern scale length and shape (50s profile) could help alot.

Explorer

None, I gigged mine hard for 8 years and in that time the only parts that wore out were the electronics and a fret that popped out after it fell 4 foot onto some steps.

I found that the only issue was the weight balance and its tendency to nose dive, the actually body was very light weight and easy to play for extended times, decent mahogany is pretty light weight and my Explorer was a very slight guitar.

I can use the case as a table if I wanted for a dinner party, if I am not using it as an Aircraft carrier. The case is enormous and the available gig bags for Explorers are not good enough to protect the delicate extremes IMO. Though my one seems so tough I tend to just leave it out and chuck it on the seat or on top of my amp in the back of the car.

The shape is actually very ergonomic, the rear fin works as an arm rest and the lower body shape fits over your leg nicely, though it fails when played in the classical position. I found upper fret access also suffers, similar to the LP, but for everything else, I found the explorer one of the most comfortable live guitars I have ever used.

Tom Horn
Played for 10 years.
Gigged for 8 years solidly.

1977 Burny FLG70
Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
hminh87
Justin here!

I don't gig. My current guitars are comprised of a double cut super strat, single cut, explorer and SG type.

The neck tends to break off either at joint or headstock. Some companies remedies these problems by reinforce these points with extra mass and I think it helps a lot. Other thing is the extra space large guitars like explorer requires. It's so easy to hit the wing if I am not careful.

Right around 4kg is the sweet spot for me. Less it would be too light and feels cheap, more it would be uncomfortable heavy on my shoulders.

Obviously large and uncommon guitars are going to be problem when it comes to finding a good stand or case. I had to get a special stand just for my explorer while all my other could use my other stands just fine.

What are your problems with your instruments regarding ergonomics
Back and front contour cut. The instrument feels so much more comfortable. I hate to feel the hard edges rubbing against my rib or my arm. higher fret access also is a very important thing, a slight contour in the back of the neck joint is a luxury in many guitars.

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
_3nigma_

Not a les paul guy, i did have an agile that was fantastic but the weight and feel became and issue so changed my set up, if it ain't broke don't fix it type. If it helps im also in process of doing a custom build that will hopefully over take all my guitars and become my main stage guitar. It'll be a kind of super Tele, with tummy cut and contoured heel for better higher fret access.

PRS SE Torero, Ibanez 90' RG550, Ibanez RG1820x, Jackson Soloist 7 string

As has been said neck issue is a big thing, changing climates cause bowing can be an issue and always slightly nervous about droppage so would never use a guitar with out straploks, Plus I'm a floyd guy so always nervous with rough fret or something catching a string in a divebomb. Or Dodgy connections be it pots, switches or inputs

I find the more active you are on stage it becomes alot harder with Heavier guitars, my primary band is a metal band so heavier guitars became unviable for me as im not a overly big guy and the weight can through you off balance and can be a bit more dangerous with lots of movement

I wouldn't trust a gig bag with something being taking to show, all cases are ABS molded cases. I've had guitars damaged in the past even in cases so i prefer to not take any chances with anything that isn't overly strong. In terms of portability a decent case is never going to be that small some of my cases will only fit in back seats not the boot of a car, however if the weight isn't over bearing then i see no major concern.

I find more of my guitars aren't overly thick so it doesn't case to many problems in that front, and depending on the style the tummy cuts and forearm cuts can be ideal as are a feature. On all models i like to have a tummy cut to get good string access and a cutaway that is relatively deep allowing for good fret access in upper register

Previously was using a Jackson Randy Rhoads live. which was great in terms of fret access and ease of use in a live setting, Being that it was Alder body and relatively small surface area weight was never really an issue could play this things for hours live with no real issues. However the neck was top heavy so didn't sit very comfortable if not held in place, and the larger point and headstock regularly got knocked against things even once a bass players strings (which left a lovely red mark on the tip) and the case was an abomination of a thing. Heavy and huge so getting transported wasn't easy.

Hope in Some way this helps

Last edited by _3nigma_ : 11-06-2012 at 08:27 AM.
_3nigma_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Not touring, minor gigging. Gibson Les Paul Special Faded, Gibosn Explorer Standard, Kramer Striker Vintage, and Epiphone Thunderbird IV (bass).

Well I've heard about problems with Gibson neck joints, but even after hitting the headstock on an industrial fan (accident) a couple (dozen) times, I've never had that problem.

Back hurts after playing guitars that weigh more than 9 pounds for more than an hour and a half or so.

Don't really have any. If I bring all of them at once, they may be a little difficult to cram in the back seat, but I never have needed to.

None really. They're fine.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
thebestjoe

Mine change every time. I have used a BC Rich Warbeast, a Squire Hello Kitty strat, a Dean Vendetta 1000F, an Ibanez Universe, a Schecter Omen-7, and a Schecter Damien Elite-8 in the past 5 months.

Obviously with the BC Rich, with the pointy, that breaking, although I'm abusive towards it and there's only one small paint chip.

The Squire is too light, it kind of feels like playing a toy at times. I also feel that the Universe is fragile as well because it's light and every other high-end guitar I've played was on the heavier side, so I'm worried that in the heartbreaking event that it fall, it would break easily.

What are your problems regarding portability?
The huge ass case I have to use for the BC Rich, but SUV's help with that. None other than that. The only other guitar to have a hard case is the Ibanez Universe, and everything else is in a gig bag. No problems with any of that.

The brick and cinder block neck joints on my Schecters. I much prefer the AANJ of the two Ibanez I have. The BC Rich also left me in bruises from moving around on stage with it, but sitting down is fine. On the Omen-7 and Dean, I sanded/steel-wooled off the clear finish on the necks because my sweat makes my thumb adhere to them. That's the reason I only use bolt-on necks. All are also dual-cut aways because my thumb tends to go around the neck as I get higher, so a single-cut style hinders that.
Schecter Omen-7 with X2N and D-Thing
Douglas Scope 727
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist

No touring, occasional gigging. I have a Fender Stratocaster, which is my only guitar at the moment, but I owned an Ibanez RG, a Fernandes/Burny Les Paul, and a modern Charvel Telecaster.

Fender Strat: feels solid enough. It can easily get scratched or dented, but there are no problems in terms of functionality. Everything works fine since the day I got it.
Ibanez RG: doesn't feel as solid, but that's probably because it has more small parts (floating bridge, nut), is a bit lighter than my current guitar, and has finish cracks near the neck joint. But the guitar has been abused since 1997, and it still works fine.
Les Paul: this guitar is not an American Gibson LP, but it has the same looks and nearly identical construction. I had some problems with the guitar. After six months of occasional usage at the home studio its headstock and neck joint was covered in finish cracks, the bridge always fell off when changing strings, it was very easy to dent the guitar etc.
Charvel Tele: almost as solid as my Strat. It is built solidly, the finish is stronger than the finish on my current Fender. However, the frets are a bit too soft, and I had some tuning issues for unknown reason.

Lighter>Heavier
Ibanez RG > Charvel = Fender > Les Paul

All these guitars are pretty portable. There are no problems in transporting them in gig bags or hard cases.

In my opinion, the Ibanez RG is the most ergonomical among these 4 guitars. It isn't too big, it is light, has a forearm cut and a belly cut. It has a thin neck and a comfortable neck heel.
The Charvel and the Fender are both playable and rather ergonomical. However, the Charvel hans't got a forearm cut, while the Fender has one. The only flaw is the massive square neck heel on both guitars.
I didn't like playing a Les Paul. For me, the pickup switch position is odd, there is no belly cut, and the guitar itself is too heavy for me.
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
I K0nijn I

Not touring, but gigging fairly regularly.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional & Gibson SG Std.

My Les Paul feels extremely solid, so no issues there. My SG might feel a bit more sturdy if it weighed a bit more, but I'm not afraid of breaking either, really.

I can do a gig with my Les Paul without problems, but a whole day of rehearsal standing up is impossible. It weighs around 6 kg's (which is roughly 13 pounds). My SG doesn't weigh a lot and is a a perfect replacement for the Les Paul when needed, in my opinion.

What are your problems regarding portability?
The Les Paul obviously weighs even more with a hardcase, but other than that, there's not really issues. I wouldn't take either without a hardcase, though. I don't want to risk getting them damaged.

The inside of my arm gets completely red due to the edge of my Les Paul; I strum with my entire arm up and down, so my arm hits the body all the time. Other than that, no issues. My SG is the most comfortable guitar I've ever played.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
welhamm

Thank you all of you, has been so useful!

Chris
Old 11-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

While touring (currently only mini tours- 2/3 days at time. stupid job...)
- ESP Eclipse II
- G&L ASAT Classic
- Ibanez RG870QMZ w/ Dimazio Pickups

I don't really have "fragility" issues- I tend to look after my gear pretty well and I take care not to expose it to unnecessary risk. However, gigging in Western Canada means that my guitars can get exposed to tremendous temperature and humidity changes over the course of a week, so slight neck adjustments are always happening. However, I've tried to buy sturdier guitars, so it isn't a tremendous issue.

I've never really had issues regarding the weight of my instruments. Yes, lighter instruments are nicer to wear and carry around, but a guitar is still a relatively light instrument to live with. I know some guitarists really gripe about the weight of certain guitars, and I've simply never found it terribly problematic.

In terms of portability, the main issue is that guitars end up taking up a lot of space in the vehicle (cannot put them in an unheated trailer where I live). Cases are big and bulky, and you get the sense that there is a tremendous amount of wasted space.

As for ergonomics, I don't really find my guitars uncomfortable. However, I played a bass once (Merlin, I think) that could tilt the body relative to the neck. This made playing standing up so much easier, you had to wonder why it wasn't done more often. I think that I might just be lucky though, as I've never had any issues with my hands, wrists or back from playing guitar. I'm sure there are plenty of guitarists who'll tell you that their guitars are totally un-ergonomic.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
welhamm

bump. I need someone to give some feed back on a few topics and some designs? Can anyone help me?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
Viban
UG's resident bum

what new topics and designs?
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: