Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Which Epi LP pro model?
Epiphone Les paul traditional pro 2 18.18%
Epiphone Les paul standard plus/quilt top pro 4 36.36%
Epiphone Les paul tribut plus 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
noisewall11

Smile Another "help me choose an Epi les paul" thread

Basically there are 3 different Epiphone LP models I have been looking into which I cannot decide between. A while back I tried one of the "pro" models (w/ the split coils), and I feel like these guitars gave you the most bang for your buck with all the tonal options. But I also looked into the tribute LP as well seeing as how it also has split coils. There are just different aspects to each that made me indecisive because I plan to buy from one of the local shops.. but I might just order one myself if worse comes to worst.

Just so everyone has the idea, I primarily do the whole ambient soundscape/post-rock type thing. My other axe is a CP jazzmaster, and I was looking into an LP for a thicker and more wide range sound. The 3 guitars I came down to were:

- Epiphone les paul traditional pro: It's the cheapest of the 3, and is the only one that comes in my most desired finish (Wine red). Also, it has the matte(?) finish on the back of the guitar which I'd prefer to the gloss finish that the other two guitars have. This guitar seems to be the least common around the shops. It has an alnico classic pro in the neck and a Probucker 3 in the bridge.

- Epiphone les paul standard plus/quilt top pro: Probably the most common in the shops. Unfortunatly 90% of the standards I have come across in person were in the trans blue finish which I do not care for. My local GC claims to have both the quilt and plus top models in stock, but only in trans. blue finish. Otherwise, none of the other shops seems to have any standards in stock at the moment. They have a probucker 2 in the neck and probucker 3 in the bridge.

- Epiphone les paul tribute plus: Seems to be the top quality model of the three.. and also, the sky is blue.. just in case you didn't know. Two things put me off about this guitar though. First, I swear that the only local shop selling one of these guitars had it going for $799... I don't know what the story with that is. Second, I heard that the gibson 57 buckers are more mellow than the probuckers for whatever reason. Then again I am pretty unsure about that as well.

Basically, the pickups come first and finish comes second. I am looking for which ever guitar gives me the hottest/brightest sound from the pickups over the finish.

Last edited by noisewall11 : 02-28-2013 at 12:08 AM.
noisewall11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
hydraone
Free Bird

The Gibson '57 pickups walk all over the Chinese Epi Probuckers.

Get the Tribute, or a new Gibson Studio.

Isn't this where...
hydraone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
AWACS
Lord Steward

Traditonal Pro, imho.

Split coils are overrated. I have them on my PRS, and had them on my Schecter and hardly used them. Again, imho.

Mesa Boogie Mark V '12 PRS SE CU24Blackstar HTV-212
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle Digitech Bad Monkey TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic TCE Ditto
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig

I honestly think if you and all the rest of us were blindfolded, none of us would be able to tell you which guitar is which.

That being said, I'd go for the Traditional if money were a concern, or a quilt top if looks are more important to you.

The tribute seems to have no true advantages in my eyes, with my genres and my playing style. A lot of people switch the pickups out of their Gibsons, not Epiphones, but Gibsons. I could honestly care less if a guitar came with a dried up turd as a pickup because I'm not going to be satisfied with it unless they're 1. Exactly what I wanted, or 2. Exceeded my expectations.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
MESAexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
aaroncaper

out of all the epis i've played my 56 goldtop reissue blows the rest out of the water, mind you its broken in, i know the guitar etc. but it is korean made, very beautiful. i'd recommen that

Compulsive gear buyer
aaroncaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
noisewall11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
Traditonal Pro, imho.

Split coils are overrated. I have them on my PRS, and had them on my Schecter and hardly used them. Again, imho.

Seems like most prefer either humbuckers or single coils much more than the other. I just like both equally and figured I'd be using them simultaniously in some of my loops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncaper
out of all the epis i've played my 56 goldtop reissue blows the rest out of the water, mind you its broken in, i know the guitar etc. but it is korean made, very beautiful. i'd recommen that

I really was going for the split coils and didn't have P90's in mind at all. Reguardless, I'll try to find one to play when I go out to the shops.
noisewall11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
UG's Towel

Location: Where people steal things and call cigarettes, 'Ciggys'
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraone
The Gibson '57 pickups walk all over the Chinese Epi Probuckers.

Get the Tribute, or a new Gibson Studio.

Actually, they sound very, VERY similar. You will be hard pushed to hear a difference, mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MESAexplorer
I could honestly care less if a guitar came with a dried up turd as a pickup because I'm not going to be satisfied with it unless they're 1. Exactly what I wanted, or 2. Exceeded my expectations.

Wait what? This makes absolutely no sense.

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
sounds more nasal than jack sniffing an ass

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-28-2013 at 06:05 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

$800 budget....?

Mate get something old and Japanese.

Yamaha SG

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/mem...aha-sg700s.html

1977 Burny FLG70

Last edited by Tom 1.0 : 02-28-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

What Epiphone specifically?

Can't you get a Gibson LP Faded Studio for that price?

Otherwise I would probably get the Standard. Great guitar for that level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
alexh0618

Get the Tribute Plus. It comes with Gibson '57s, premium electronics and a hard shell case. This is a no brainer... I got mine for $600. The pickups alone would cost half that. If you don't like them, trade them in for a different pair.
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
alexh0618 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: