Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
Archer250

Is this what they call maturity?

Mere weeks ago I was the kind of kid you'd find in every Guitar Center, except possibly with lower gain and more demanding setup than others. Whenever I played I totally didn't give two ****s about the key, groove or feeling of the song; I tried to cram as many notes as I can into a bar. I'd do string skipping patterns up and down the neck, I'd sweep like a mad janitor, I'd noodle mindlessly on the harmonic minor scale until the cows come home, and I'd repeat some Paul Gilbert licks until someone screams at me to stop.

Now when presented with a song, I still try to play my own way, but therein lies the mystery. I was in a certain predicament where I was not able to play the guitar for nearly a week. When I picked it up and tried to renew my chops, I found that my phrasing changed significantly. Now I have adopted a slightly bluesier, slightly more fusion, and noticeably poppier approach. It's not that I don't have the chops anymore, but for some reason following chords, making melodious, catchy statements and reserving the shredding parts for the last bars seem to make more sense to me now...

What is happening to me?
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO5
Dunlop Tortex Picks .88 and 1.00mm
Planet Waves Lock Strap
Archer250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
Ignore

ure starting to suck, good job, only goes up from here.
Ignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
CJGunner7

It is kinda musical maturity, i don't know why it happened so fast but basically most of us reach a point where we realize that playing a million miles an hour isn't always the right thing to do, over time your musical brain grows and you start trying to help the song and stop just trying to impress people, basically you're maturing
Old 07-13-2014, 03:11 AM   #4
Archer250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore
ure starting to suck, good job, only goes up from here.

Haha, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGunner7
It is kinda musical maturity, i don't know why it happened so fast but basically most of us reach a point where we realize that playing a million miles an hour isn't always the right thing to do, over time your musical brain grows and you start trying to help the song and stop just trying to impress people, basically you're maturing

Actually, I still kinda want to impress, but in ways more than just "look at how fast I can play!"
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO5
Dunlop Tortex Picks .88 and 1.00mm
Planet Waves Lock Strap
Archer250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:52 AM   #5
EyeballPaul

It happened to me too.I took a 7 year break after leaving a band and now for some strange i love Jazz guitar and have started learning Jazz and Jazz/Blues.
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender Ramparte
TS808,TC Flashback,TC Hall of Fame,Blackstar LT Drive,Dirty Little Secret MKIII
EyeballPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
gtc83

Same here. When I first started I just wanted to play a bazillion notes a minute - look at me! Look at me! I'm so faaaaaassssttt!!! Now that I'm an old fart I'm just into blues and even a little jazz. What's important to me is the tasty turn of a phrase and hitting the perfect note at the perfect spot a few times in a solo. I listen to those shredders and all it does is make me say "he must practice a lot" and then after 30 seconds I get bored and turn it off. I'd much rather listen to somebody playing a slow minor blues and putting a ton of soul into it.
gtc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I'm pretty much the same as I ever was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
StarGeezerTim
Guitar Geezer

Luckily I've been insulated against much of the "faster is better" that many (particularly younger) folks take aim on. While I grew up on such music as Van Halen, Def Leopard, Iron Maiden and such, I didn't take my sole cues from this genre. I was also open to jazz (Chuck Mangione, Chick Corea) and blues (BB King, SRV). Most of the guitarists in these genres treasured phrasing high above the ability to play hemidemisemiquavers (google it, it's a word!)

Even now, my goal is not to play as fast as humanly possible (and frankly, at my age, that particular ship has likely already sailed.) Rather, I'd prefer to play accurately, with the ability to convey some emotion through the performance. Any speed that comes along with that is simply sauce for the goose.

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
260bpm

hey everyone im new here...maybe i will wake up a better player but whats the diff just roll w it..
260bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #10
arv1971

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGeezerTim
Luckily I've been insulated against much of the "faster is better" that many (particularly younger) folks take aim on. While I grew up on such music as Van Halen, Def Leopard, Iron Maiden and such, I didn't take my sole cues from this genre. I was also open to jazz (Chuck Mangione, Chick Corea) and blues (BB King, SRV). Most of the guitarists in these genres treasured phrasing high above the ability to play hemidemisemiquavers (google it, it's a word!)

Even now, my goal is not to play as fast as humanly possible (and frankly, at my age, that particular ship has likely already sailed.) Rather, I'd prefer to play accurately, with the ability to convey some emotion through the performance. Any speed that comes along with that is simply sauce for the goose.

Completely off-topic but if you're into Chick Corea and haven't heard The Mad Hatter album then you MUST check it out. It's a concept album based on Alice In Wonderland. No guitar (as far as I remember) but the Eddie Gomez bass solo on the best song on the album, Dear Alice, will absolutely blow your mind.

Back on topic, I've always played slower, more melodic stuff on the guitar...but that's because I'm useless at playing fast stuff lol. Always have been and probably always will be lmfao
arv1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #11
StarGeezerTim
Guitar Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arv1971
Completely off-topic but if you're into Chick Corea and haven't heard The Mad Hatter album then you MUST check it out. It's a concept album based on Alice In Wonderland. No guitar (as far as I remember) but the Eddie Gomez bass solo on the best song on the album, Dear Alice, will absolutely blow your mind.

Back on topic, I've always played slower, more melodic stuff on the guitar...but that's because I'm useless at playing fast stuff lol. Always have been and probably always will be lmfao

Oh man, that takes me back. I haven't actually listened to that record since it was...well, an actual record! LOL You're right though, excellent album and probably on par as a jazz concept album that Days of Future Past by the Moody Blues was to rock.

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Rate This Thread: