Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #4561
merriman44

Give this guy a try for your fry work

This is actually helpful unlikely every other fry tutorial I've ever seen. When he starts barking like a dog, I about died though hahahha.

Last edited by merriman44 : 07-22-2014 at 01:24 PM.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #4562
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44

Give this guy a try for your fry work

This is actually helpful unlikely every other fry tutorial I've ever seen. When he starts barking like a dog, I about died though hahahha.

for real, almost every screaming tutorial ive ever seen has been total shit, more so for fry than FC

one video literally said to emulate the noise you make when youre pushing a turd out, and then just make it louder. ill check this out when i get off work

in the meantime, my throat is recovering from being all ****ed up (i dont know any medical names or conditions that i had, so im just going to stick with that description). do you have any suggestions on how to regain my false chord screams? im already about 50-60% back, but i have a show to play this weekend

or am i just going to have to wait it out and hope for the best while practicing?

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Last edited by pAWNlol : 07-22-2014 at 01:52 PM.
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #4563
merriman44

This comes up alot. This time, I'll go into some details about what works and why as well as a little on what doesn't. Pawn, I'll answer your question in the Synopsis and then go on to explain why for other folks.

The Vocal Recovery Primer Volume 1
Synopsis:
First off, DO NOT PRACTICE VOCALS until you have recovered. Beyond that? See below:

Don't talk. Like at all. Vocal rest is imperative here. I spend one day a week where I don't speak at all if possible to encourage overall vocal health. Plenty of water and sleeping will pay dividends. Also, If you ever get heart burn, avoid the triggers that cause it. Avoid Antihistamines and Anticholinergenics (diarrheal medicine is an example) as these dry you up.

That's really it for things that actually affect the voice.

The Process of Damage
Usually, when we "damage" our voices, it's merely inflammation. The folds thicken and we lose fine motor control and go off key and what not. True damage rarely occurs. When it does it is either A) an acute event or B) because the inflammation was ignored repeatedly while still present. In an acute event, the folds will tear. This is potentially career ending if the true folds tear as there is no guarantee that time or surgery will recover the original voice. Scar tissue will absolutely alter the character, control and tonality of the voice permanently. If you tear your false cords, well truthfully, who gives a shit. You can cut them out totally and they will grow back. Maybe not exactly the same but these big lumbering cords are so resilient it rarely matters in the long run. You might lose control of them for a bit but they will almost always come back.

In the second scenario, you sing poorly and hurt yourself, or just cause irritation/inflammation. You then continue through it to finish up a performance. The next day you do the same, rinse repeat ad nauseum. This is how nodules form. You'll know you have nodules if your voice becomes "airy" for an extended period of time or if your voice cracks alot even days/weeks after a performance. Most nodes start off soft and can be reabsorbed. If the abuse continues, the become hard and require operation to remove

The Recovery
It takes a while for you voice to start healing. Each time you phonate (speak, couch, whatever) this stops the recovering process. The longer you can go between speaking, the better. Sleeping is the best thing for an injured voice. In sleep, your cords become fully relaxed due to the surrounding muscle relaxation. Think about how you hold your head up all day. Some of these same muscles contribute to fold closure. That's why we say don't talk.

Water
Hydration will help keep the folds moist, from within mind you. No water from drinking should touch your folds or you are going to have a coughing fit. By staying slightly overhydrated (you'll pee more and your urine will always be clear) your voice will always be moist which promotes healing in this area. Dry skin cracks, as does dry folds.

Acidic foods, milk and bologna logic

No food or drink touches your folds or you are choking. So nothing will help coat your true throat. When someone uses honey or milk to coat their throat they are only diminishing what is called referred pain. The damage is still being done in the folds, you just can't feel it as much. The only positive thing that honey can do is help keep the folds moist by applying a thin film to the upper throat. Because the upper throat stays moist, it helps keep the lower folds the same.

Foods: The only foods that are problematic are those that cause heart burn. The acid reflux can come up and hit the folds and cause massive irritation and eventual scarring. Both of these are bad. So avoid foods that cause this for you. Additionally, if you wake up with a sore throat many times, it's probably due to night flux. This is a regurgitation of stomach acid while sleeping when the lower esophogeal sphincter relaxes allowing acid to come up the esophogus. To decrease this condition, try not eating a couple hours before bed to decrease stomach content and acid release. Also, try sleeping on your left side as this inhibits regurgitation.

That's a lot more information than you wanted I am sure but I get this question all the time. Understanding a problem always helps me better solve it and I hope it helps you as well. I'll save this in a word document for future use and if anyone has any additional comments on it, do let me know.

Last edited by merriman44 : 07-22-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #4564
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pAWNlol
i still just cant ****ing figure them out

+1 to this. I mean... I THINK I can get the general tone going, but there's no power at all behind it. I can feel my false chord growls when I know they're sounding good. Fry just feels like I'm trying to fog up my glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #4565
Meridian_87.5

Merriman that video helped immensely. I had watched it a long long time ago before I could make the fry sound, and I couldn't do it. But it was pretty easy to get the sound he was talking about, and it sounded better. Volume went way up too. I'll post clips this evening most likely. I'll be home alone so I won't have to worry about family and such.
Meridian_87.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #4566
merriman44

guude guude. I would love to just have it in the bag of tricks. I can gollum with the best of them so I think there may yet be hope.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #4567
Meridian_87.5

I posted an MP3 of how I make the fry scream. Please excuse the quality of the actual scream at the end. I practiced for a while earlier today without warming up properly, so my voice is now rather tired. I decided against recording what I've recorded, everything sounds really really weak right now.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #4568
NorseGodOfShred

I'm pretty self taught with screaming. I essentially figured it out trying to imitate Corpsegrinder and Mikael Akerfeldt, but I don't really know what technique I'm using. Can anyone identify it from a sample? https://soundcloud.com/singularityc...ain-demo#t=1:13
NorseGodOfShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #4569
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

actually id say my vocals are at 70-80% actually. but my "pain" last week was more from an actual sickness, not from me damaging it. but thats good to know next time it happens

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:25 AM   #4570
shellac5

I always thought of the fry sound just as a way to add overtone to my voice. I posted a MP3 to my profile of me projecting the base fry noise, they feel pretty much exactly the same, except one has a note and is a lot louder.
shellac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM   #4571
Meridian_87.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellac5
I always thought of the fry sound just as a way to add overtone to my voice. I posted a MP3 to my profile of me projecting the base fry noise, they feel pretty much exactly the same, except one has a note and is a lot louder.

Goodness gracious, teach me your ways.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #4572
merriman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseGodOfShred
I'm pretty self taught with screaming. I essentially figured it out trying to imitate Corpsegrinder and Mikael Akerfeldt, but I don't really know what technique I'm using. Can anyone identify it from a sample? https://soundcloud.com/singularityc...ain-demo#t=1:13

That's a pretty standard false cord scream from what I hear. If that a bit above your speaking voice? Wicked song by the way!
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM   #4573
NorseGodOfShred

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
That's a pretty standard false cord scream from what I hear. If that a bit above your speaking voice? Wicked song by the way!

Depending on how much air I push, it's at speaking level up to a thrash yell volume wise. I've been working on my air control quite a bit so I can hold the screams a bit longer. I'd say that my strength is more in the low range like the two that I mentioned, but I've been trying to experiment with higher ranges as well. I want to add Fry screams to my arsenal. but I can't figure them out for the life of me And thanks! We're working on putting together an EP.
NorseGodOfShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM   #4574
merriman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseGodOfShred
Depending on how much air I push, it's at speaking level up to a thrash yell volume wise. I've been working on my air control quite a bit so I can hold the screams a bit longer. I'd say that my strength is more in the low range like the two that I mentioned, but I've been trying to experiment with higher ranges as well. I want to add Fry screams to my arsenal. but I can't figure them out for the life of me And thanks! We're working on putting together an EP.

Join the crew on the fry thing. I can fry but I hate the tone that I get so its obviously not as correct as it should be. You'll get there with the false cord range and endurance. Mine has increased dramatically in the last three months.
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM   #4575
Meridian_87.5

Merriman, is the clip that Shellac posted the sound you are talking about?
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #4576
merriman44

Not exactly. That to me is more a raspy shout. I can do this. I cannot in any safe manner term that into a true scream in the way that the metalcore guys do (somethings those tones are just awesome).

Of course, that's not to say that it's not. I'd just need to hear Shellac perform a song that's all screaming in this manner. Like I said, I can duplicate his sound almost exactly and it's great for distorted vocals, just not full on screams. At least for me.

Cheers!

Edit: I fully endorse, however, that I just don't understand how to switch it to full on distortion.

Last edited by merriman44 : Yesterday at 06:34 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #4577
Meridian_87.5

Since you are able to do it, could you maybe briefly explain to me how to do that? I have the basic fry sound but it's still very weak. That raspy shout is the kind of sound I'm going for.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #4578
merriman44

Here you go:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1272098
I cut the clip short as I went on to explain how I got that sound, but if it's not what you are looking for I didn't want to make it overly long.

On further review, it sounds like he gets a bit more of a different overtone. Hey Shellac, do you have any recordings of you in a more Hifi environ, say a song?

If you really are getting a true fry overtone, I have zero clue how to get there at all, hahahaha. It's infuriating.

To be clear guys, I'm also always open to critiques and help. I feel like we all are trying to figure this stuff out for the most part, so if folks have better ideas, or ideas that I myself can improve, all the better!

Last edited by merriman44 : Yesterday at 09:04 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #4579
Meridian_87.5

Thanks a bunch Merriman. I'm definitely gonna try that rasp. I just can't figure out how to add my voice into the actual fry sound. Going to keep messing around with it.
Old Today, 12:01 AM   #4580
merriman44

Yes, that's forever been my issue as well. I'm not sure if this is a structure thing (genetic) or just a mind block. Who knows? Some folks get it readily.

Do you need any further info on the rasp?

Rate This Thread: