Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
chadbo

Sound hole pickups?

I want to get a sound hole pickup. I have never owned one or even heard someone playing thru one live in person. My budget is $75 or less. What is a decent one for that price range?
chadbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Bikewer

There are a number of models in that price range. Can't particularly recommend any.. All the ones I've heard are just electromagnetic pickups as you'd find in an electric guitar, and they sound rather like a hollowbody electric.
That may not be bad, but if you want the natural sound of your acoustic you'll likely have to do something different.
A mic is always good, but you are tied to a location and they can be hard to set up without feedback, especially in a band situation.
The best soundhole pickups I've heard are the Baggs and the Fishman models... But they are a lot more money.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbo
I want to get a sound hole pickup. I have never owned one or even heard someone playing thru one live in person. My budget is $75 or less. What is a decent one for that price range?
If I were in your present situation, I'd probably go for this :http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...oundhole-pickup It's a stacked humbucker, and as such will be quieter than cheaper single coil models. This is the upgrade model with adjustable pole pieces, similar to electric pickups. You can use them to balance the individual string response.

$60.00 bucks w/free shipping but it seems you'll have to wait a week or so.

The cord on these types of pickups, generate a lot of noise from movement. So, consider a permanent install w/ input jack, or tape it to the body when in use.

Also, should you run into low output issues, you can use a stomp box preamp such as this Berhinger: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHPB100
Plus, it has tone controls. Price is $24.95

Musician's Friend just began selling this line. As a consequence it won't be in stock there until August. (Hence the zZounds link).
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Bikewer

I was just watching a blues guy (Eric Bibb) running a similar pickup through an end-pin jack... Seemed to work very well.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
chadbo

Thanks! That is great information from everyone!!!
chadbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: