Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-01-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
TJWise89

need some advice on a raven west rg650sp

Well guys, a guitar has come up on my local craigslist for a Raven West Guitars RG650SP. The guitar is a spalted maple/mahogony body with a maple neck and ebony fretboard. This thing looks beautiful, and the asking price is $300.

Now there's a couple things that concerns me, I've never really heard of Raven West Guitars for one. Now I went to their website and the RG650SP on there was going for $480-550, + $30 shipping. So the $300 price doesn't seem to bad. But the pickups concern me a bit, the bridge pickup is a bill lawernce usa pickup, not sure on model. The neck is a pickup with a W 621 that I have no clue is what it is. What worries me about the Lawrence pickup is the upside down logo leads me to believe that it's a neck pickup, and I have no clue what brand the neck pickup is. I'm worried the tone will come out to warm for my tastes so a pickup swap would be in order which would raise the overall cost a bit more for me.

Any input on whether I should jump on the deal, if these are quality built guitars, what the neck pickup could be, why the bridge pickup is upside down, etc would be appreciated.
Randall XL cab w/Vintage 30s
Wampler Euphoria OD
Boss NS-2 Noise Surpressor
MXR 6-band EQ
TJWise89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
NosralTserrof
Damned

You know when you google the brand, and this exact thread pops up as the first result, that you're in trouble

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
NosralTserrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
TJWise89

That's kind of where I landed with it man lol I haven't really found much about them online at all, which is why I resorted to making this thread
Wampler Euphoria OD
MXR 6-band EQ
Old 11-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
jpcl

Well I can only talk from what most people say about it, and all in all, it seems like a good guitar for the price, but you could always try the guitar out if your skeptical about so many things. It's the best way you can answer almost all (if not all) of your questions.
jpcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
TJWise89

Yeah I know trying it out would be best. But the guy is about 2 1/2 hour drive from me and he's a blues player. Meaning his rig wouldn't show the potential of the guitar for what I want to do with it, and id hate to lug my amp and drive the distance to not like the guitar. So I thought id get a feel for it first by getting some other players input on it.
Wampler Euphoria OD
MXR 6-band EQ
Old 11-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
jpcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJWise89
Yeah I know trying it out would be best. But the guy is about 2 1/2 hour drive from me and he's a blues player. Meaning his rig wouldn't show the potential of the guitar for what I want to do with it, and id hate to lug my amp and drive the distance to not like the guitar. So I thought id get a feel for it first by getting some other players input on it.

Oh I see. Wasn't expecting it to be such a big drive. What's you musical tastes?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
TJWise89

I'm into a lot of progressive metal, between the buried and me, periphery, animals as leaders, etc.
Wampler Euphoria OD
MXR 6-band EQ
Old 11-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
jpcl

Quote:
I'm into a lot of progressive metal, between the buried and me, periphery, animals as leaders, etc.

Well feature-wise I'd say you won't have problems in the guitar suiting you, and sound-wise, weither it's superstrats, LP's or other models, they always seem to be great for the money.

As for quality, I can't really say much though. I'm not saying the quality it an issue for you to be concerned, but my words will be as good as yours in this area.

Still, I think you can't go much wrong with Raven West. They aren't that popular, but I'm sure if any owners do show up here, they'll be giving it a lot of praise.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
TJWise89

That's kind of where I landed with it, I may try and talking him down on price a bit to make up for the drive. Feature wise, it seems nice. I still believe a pickupswap will be in order. But we'll see how it goes. I may borrow a friends 6505+ 1x12 to go try it out
Wampler Euphoria OD
MXR 6-band EQ
Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
jpcl

Quote:
That's kind of where I landed with it, I may try and talking him down on price a bit to make up for the drive. Feature wise, it seems nice. I still believe a pickupswap will be in order. But we'll see how it goes. I may borrow a friends 6505+ 1x12 to go try it out

Well good luck. If he does give in on the price drop, and you do happen to like it, you should be getting quite a heck of a bargain (assuming it's in good/mint condition).
Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
TJWise89

Yeah man, the guitar is in near mint. The only problem is the gold on the trem is wearing off, but that's not to big of a deal
Wampler Euphoria OD
MXR 6-band EQ

Rate This Thread: