Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
omnilux

criticize my technique

Hello,

Could someone point out any errors in my technique if possible (the quality of this video is pretty bad), I'm playing the part of Seek and Destroy just before the solo. Started off slow, then went as fast as I could until I started tensing up. If I try to play this part up to speed I feel my whole right arm tense up and I get cramped/tired.

Thanks

If the quality is too bad (I noticed my hand gets blurry when I speed up) then this thread can be deleted and I'll re-post when I get a better camera. Been playing since January of this year.

youtube.com/watch?v=mvX-j2azDdU&feature=youtu.be
omnilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
DrewsGotTheLife

You should alternate pick that part, all i gotta say is practice practice practice, But overall it seems on point.
DrewsGotTheLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
DrewsGotTheLife

Question what brand is that guitar?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
omnilux

It's an Ibanez RG, and I just noticed the cam filmed reversed...looks like I'm left handed.

Also, sorry about creating the new thread. I didn't see the "need halp" sticky above.

Last edited by omnilux : 03-29-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
DrewsGotTheLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnilux
It's an Ibanez RG, and I just noticed the cam filmed reversed...looks like I'm left handed.

Also, sorry about creating the new thread. I didn't see the "need halp" sticky above.

its cool.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
J_W

I can barely hear your playing over the static.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

From what I can hear (and it's really hard to hear) the playing is tight. Your picking hand looks good, it looks relaxed but not to the point that you're sacrificing the power with which you hit.

One thing about the fretting hand (which isn't a problem for this but will be a problem in the future, especially for anything with wider stretches) - you're wedging the side of your index finger into the underside of the fretboard and your thumb is in a.. really weird.. position, causing your fingers to approach the frets at an angle. This means that you a) won't be able to get wide stretches and b) your little finger and ring finger have to travel further to reach the frets, ultimately slowing you down. Ideally you want your thumb behind the neck and in line with the middle finger on your fretting hand. Try it out and you'll see that you get a much wider stretch and it allows your fingers to all hover over the frets at pretty much the same distance.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

I don't know the song but i'd assume there's alternate picking within that riff. Hard to tell with the average quality though. For only playing a few months it seems like you're on the right track though. But if you haven't learnt to alternate pick yet then you'll definitely wanna get to that.
Your fretting fingers also seem very angled. Might wanna get to adjusting that.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 03-29-2013 at 02:10 PM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
I don't know the song but i'd assume there's alternate picking within that riff. Hard to tell with the average quality though. For only playing a few months it seems like you're on the right track though. But if you haven't learnt to alternate pick yet then you'll definitely wanna get to that.
Your fretting fingers also seem very angled. Might wanna get to adjusting that.

It's just before the solo in Seek and Destroy by Metallica, I believe the part is all down-picked. But yes, it is definitely worth learning to alternate pick (for pieces that require it which is.. well.. most pieces and virtually every solo).

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
robertwilliam9

I would also say that alternate picking would be a good thing to utilize there. To be honest, I think thought your technique was pretty good other than that. That guitar has some good tone (from what I could hear haha).
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
guitarchalk.com
robertwilliam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
omnilux

Thanks for all the input, I have been working on my alternate picking (Whiplash by Metallica) but since James plays that part all down picked I want to sound as close to the song as I can.

As for what you said blackened, I have noticed I'm having trouble stretching my left hand to reach some frets, if what you pointed out is causing the issue then I will be addressing that right away.

Once again sorry for the quality of the video and audio as well, when I get a better recording device I'll upload something better.

Rate This Thread: