Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Insanus82

6505+ 112: conversion into Head

Hey folks,

I'm thinking about converting my combo into a head. This thing is heavy as hell, it's a pain in *ss when I have to carry it to the rehearsals with the band. Also, more speakers = more "fun" and versatility when playing live.

My questions are the following:

1) If I choose the right cab (thinking about a 4x12 cab), can I get better cleans on the rhythm channel, or it just totally depends on the amp per se?

2) How much $ are we talking about if I order someone to make it for me? I don't have good hands when it comes to woodcrafting

Thanks in advance and happy new year y'all!
Insanus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
ambler3
yes b0ss?

Gonna do exactly the same to mine :p I'd say check out this thread

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ight=6505+ivory

got some interesting stuff in it..and his converted head looks ****ing beaut.

What do you mean about better cleans? The only thing that would be different from if you used it in combo or head form would be tubes. In a head amp, it's possible to use ECC803 tubes (low gain tubes), whereas in a combo they would most likely go microphonic. They would sweeten up the cleans a bit (so i've read, need to grab some new tubes myself). Other than that, speakers can make a difference, but you can easily put a new speaker in the combo.

Finally, price..i'm not so sure about, but i'm guessing it'll run you about $200?
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Yamaha RBX270

Magnum 44 Poweramp
POD HD500x

Read my blog! http://writingwithoutsubstance.blogspot.co.uk/

Listen to my music!https://soundcloud.com/rufus-ambler
ambler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Robbgnarly

Use a 5751 for V1 and the PI and your cleans will be better
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Insanus82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambler3
Gonna do exactly the same to mine :p I'd say check out this thread

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ight=6505+ivory

got some interesting stuff in it..and his converted head looks ****ing beaut.

What do you mean about better cleans? The only thing that would be different from if you used it in combo or head form would be tubes. In a head amp, it's possible to use ECC803 tubes (low gain tubes), whereas in a combo they would most likely go microphonic. They would sweeten up the cleans a bit (so i've read, need to grab some new tubes myself). Other than that, speakers can make a difference, but you can easily put a new speaker in the combo.

Finally, price..i'm not so sure about, but i'm guessing it'll run you about $200?

That sure is a beauty!
Well imo 6505 combo cleans are pretty bad. Yeah, I know I can turn down the volume knob in the guitar, decrease the post gain in the rhythm channel and such, but it still feels somehow distorted. I use the MXR 108 and the chorus to soften things a little bit, but I'm getting into more progressive oriented compositions, on which I need nice cleans, and I'm starting to lose my patience with the amp So I wanted to know if I can soften things a little bit if I get a clean-sound oriented cab or something like that.
------------------
Behringer Ultra Chorus 200
Boss DD-7
Boss FL-3
Digitech Digidelay
EHX Little Big Muff
Korg Pitchblack
MXR 10 Band EQ
Old 12-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Robbgnarly

see my post above
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 12-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Insanus82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
see my post above

Hey Robb, sorry, I forgot to include the reply in the previous post
So 2 5751 tubes. I will have to try it. I read in some forums that it steals some gain from the amp. Will it be a problem for me, since I've the post gain at 6?
------------------
Behringer Ultra Chorus 200
Boss DD-7
Boss FL-3
Digitech Digidelay
EHX Little Big Muff
Korg Pitchblack
MXR 10 Band EQ

Last edited by Insanus82 : 12-27-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

I cut mine right away to be able to carry it easier too. I have a 112 cab at home, with a the sheffield, and a 212 at the band rehearsal with V30s, so I just have to carry my head around.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanus82
Hey Robb, sorry, I forgot to include the reply in the previous post
So 2 5751 tubes. I will have to try it. I read in some forums that it steals some gain from the amp. Will it be a problem for me, since I've the post gain at 6?

you will still have plenty of gain and the gain you do have will be more manageable. And putting a 5751 into the PI will help eliminate noise and hiss that is typical in the 5150/6505 series of amps
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 01-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #9
manvspig

"1) If I choose the right cab (thinking about a 4x12 cab), can I get better cleans on the rhythm channel, or it just totally depends on the amp per se?"

Your clean sound will change dramatically depending on the cab and the speakers in the cab. I'm assuming you still have the Sheffeild speaker in your amp? These are probably pretty bad for clean sounds, but I've never used one so I'm no so sure. The way the cabinet is built (Most likely rather small surface area and closed back) is probably not good for clean sounds either. Yet again though, I've never used the 1x12 6505 so I'm not positive. I think that a good speaker and cabinet choice would help your clean tone quite a bit. Why don't you take you amp to a Guitar Center and plug it into one of their cabinets to see what it sounds like? Make sure you unplug the internal speaker first... Don't hook it up wrong.

A 4x12 loaded with V30's will probably not sound good for cleans, but it may sound much better than what you have. I have a 4x12 with 2 Swamp thangs and 2 Governors. I plugged my old line 6 spider into it and was really impressed at how good the cleans sounded through this cabinet, especially compared to the combo amps stock speakers/cabinet. My 6505+ clean channel doesn't sound very good through the cabinet though. These amps just don't have a good clean sound without some work, but using the right speakers will help a lot.

"2) How much $ are we talking about if I order someone to make it for me? I don't have good hands when it comes to woodcrafting."

I have no advice for you there because I always build my own stuff. Maybe you have a handy friend? Ask them to do it and offer them some cash?
manvspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvspig
"1) If I choose the right cab (thinking about a 4x12 cab), can I get better cleans on the rhythm channel, or it just totally depends on the amp per se?"

Your clean sound will change dramatically depending on the cab and the speakers in the cab. I'm assuming you still have the Sheffeild speaker in your amp? These are probably pretty bad for clean sounds, but I've never used one so I'm no so sure. The way the cabinet is built (Most likely rather small surface area and closed back) is probably not good for clean sounds either. Yet again though, I've never used the 1x12 6505 so I'm not positive. I think that a good speaker and cabinet choice would help your clean tone quite a bit. Why don't you take you amp to a Guitar Center and plug it into one of their cabinets to see what it sounds like? Make sure you unplug the internal speaker first... Don't hook it up wrong.

A 4x12 loaded with V30's will probably not sound good for cleans, but it may sound much better than what you have. I have a 4x12 with 2 Swamp thangs and 2 Governors. I plugged my old line 6 spider into it and was really impressed at how good the cleans sounded through this cabinet, especially compared to the combo amps stock speakers/cabinet. My 6505+ clean channel doesn't sound very good through the cabinet though. These amps just don't have a good clean sound without some work, but using the right speakers will help a lot.

"2) How much $ are we talking about if I order someone to make it for me? I don't have good hands when it comes to woodcrafting."

I have no advice for you there because I always build my own stuff. Maybe you have a handy friend? Ask them to do it and offer them some cash?

The cleans on a 6505/6505+ are not very good at all, regardless of what cab, V30's sound fine clean
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 01-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
manvspig

Yeah, the 6505/5150's just aren't meant for clean tones. The cleans can improved in various ways, like using a graphic eq in the effects loop and cutting a bit of 1.6k (or around there). This is kind of a wild goose chase though... The best thing to do is use an external pre-amp and run it through the effects loop. Doing the four cable method with a line 6 pod hd would be great. And I guess with the v30's, it just depends on what you like in a clean tone. For me they are to thin and bright. I like a thicker, more balanced sound.
manvspig is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: