Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
UseMyIllusion

Left wrist pain.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't too sure where to post it

I've started getting pains in my left wrist (Fretting hand)

I'm not tensing up or anything, I'm relaxed when I play, but recently it's started to hurt my wrist

I play pretty aggressive & I also play quite a lot, but the pain isn't going, will it just go away over time or should I get it checked out?

Last edited by UseMyIllusion : 01-06-2013 at 10:38 AM.
UseMyIllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Andy Pollow

I got real bad pain and weird things goin on in my wrist. I noticed I do the classical style left hand naturally - thumb behind the neck, hand away from the neck, fingers parallel to the frets. But I wasnt positioning the guitar exactly like classical guitar and I have small hands so I seriously injured my wrist from bending and twisting it too much. Then I noticed Paul Gilbert and Yngwie dont play that way ( MAB does ) - they angle their fingers more with the thumb going up and down over the neck. Peekaboo thumb. Blues thumb. Not everyone knows "blues thumb" is the exact same way you play the violin too. And I switched and never hurt my wrist again cuz that keeps your wrist straighter with the guitar in any position you want.

Plus with that you can also do bends and vibrato quicker without changing your hand position. Thats why blues players like it. I could describe it more but this is too long already. The best way to learn that is to stand with the strap a little low and not tilted up much so your more forced to do it that way.
Andy Pollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1e0ye0e0s
Meat and dairy leave acid byproducts which build up in your joints and can cause pain and inflammation. Consuming those limits your body's natural recovery ability. I've had severe tendonitis in my elbows and wrist and it went away in weeks after adopting a new diet. Try a whole food plant based vegan diet for 4 weeks and the pain will be gone. this aint no bs man! Try it or die

I suspect this may have more to do with some predisposition on your part than anything else; I have a terrible diet and never experience joint pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pollow
I got real bad pain and weird things goin on in my wrist. I noticed I do the classical style left hand naturally - thumb behind the neck, hand away from the neck, fingers parallel to the frets. But I wasnt positioning the guitar exactly like classical guitar and I have small hands so I seriously injured my wrist from bending and twisting it too much. Then I noticed Paul Gilbert and Yngwie dont play that way ( MAB does ) - they angle their fingers more with the thumb going up and down over the neck. Peekaboo thumb. Blues thumb. Not everyone knows "blues thumb" is the exact same way you play the violin too. And I switched and never hurt my wrist again cuz that keeps your wrist straighter with the guitar in any position you want.

Plus with that you can also do bends and vibrato quicker without changing your hand position. Thats why blues players like it. I could describe it more but this is too long already. The best way to learn that is to stand with the strap a little low and not tilted up much so your more forced to do it that way.

... You're misattributing the cause of your issue there. Maybe if you'd been less concerned with having your guitar low and actually adjusted your wrist position first you'd be able to keep up with the better technique. Of course I'm aware that the baseball bat grip is much preferable for bending and vibrato but switching between the two, assuming you have decent posture, is a very quick and simple thing.

Also... why on earth are you comparing guitar and violin? They playing positions for each couldn't be much more different and the violin has a tiny neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseMyIllusion
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't too sure where to post it

I've started getting pains in my left wrist (Fretting hand)

I'm not tensing up or anything, I'm relaxed when I play, but recently it's started to hurt my wrist

I play pretty aggressive & I also play quite a lot, but the pain isn't going, will it just go away over time or should I get it checked out?

Look at your posture, it's almost certainly because your wrist is at too much of an angle. If you have reposition your guitar then so be it, especially if you're standing up; there is nothing at all wrong with raising the strap if that's what it takes. Just make sure your wrist is as straight as possible.

Watch these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: