Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
S0n1c '97
Guava king

Best tablets for music reading, writing, etc.

(If there is a better forum for this, just let me know) So I've been looking into getting a tablet lately. No need to know reasons, just know that. I have heard that that Ipad is the best, because of its abundance of music apps, including Morphwiz, symphony, etc. but I have also heard that Windows tablets, with their accessibility to Finale, are good. What are your thoughts?

Plus, an Ipad is about 500 dollars... A little bit out of my range.

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
S0n1c '97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
amonamarthmetal

microsoft tablets are going to be around 500 also. a windows 8 tablet is 599... I'd say just save up for an Ipad.... but I'm an apple fanboy
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
S0n1c '97
Guava king

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
microsoft tablets are going to be around 500 also. a windows 8 tablet is 599... I'd say just save up for an Ipad.... but I'm an apple fanboy

Yeah.... I mean, the budget can stretch that far, I'm just wondering what your average UG user would recommend..... I don't mind Apple, but if there is a better option I will go for it.

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
S0n1c '97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
xHellbound
UG Freak

The Nexus 7 is pretty nice.

xHellbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
jazz_rock_feel
A Joke Ban Broke My Title

Well if you're looking to drop a bit of cash the Windows 8 Pro tablets will more or less be able to run anything a Windows machine can run.

If not, the iPad is the best bet because there are more music oriented apps available.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
amonamarthmetal

The ipad mini is going for around $300-350. That could be an option....
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
ibanez1511

last year i read an article on reading scores on the kindle fire. http://www.cleveland.com/musicdance...e_used_for.html
ibanez1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
RichardLamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0n1c '97
(If there is a better forum for this, just let me know) So I've been looking into getting a tablet lately. No need to know reasons, just know that. I have heard that that Ipad is the best, because of its abundance of music apps, including Morphwiz, symphony, etc. but I have also heard that Windows tablet pc , with their accessibility to Finale, are good. What are your thoughts?

Plus, an Ipad is about 500 dollars... A little bit out of my range.

hello guys. Need bit of help. There are plenty of tablets in the market so please guide me which is best suited for playing games. I am huge game lover.

Last edited by RichardLamb : 04-05-2013 at 02:01 AM.
RichardLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #9
Sickz
Jazz Musician

I'm just going to tell you my view on this.

I bought an iPad 4 (retina display) and a airturn footswitch one month ago, and its been working great. In my opinion anything smaller than a normal-sized iPad is too small to read notation off.

I have so far used it for 4 gigs and as a tool when practicing aswell, so i would really recommend it. I think it's worth doing as i did and wait a while and save up for it, cause it works really great. It's really great that i don't have to carry around 20 realbooks, 20 theory books and A LOT of books on technique for different instruments + songbooks anymore. I just have it right there in the tablet.

If you have any further questions about it, just send me a message. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Phinicky

Iam on old guy at 52 with old guy eyes, and the UG tab app on my phone is too small to see for playing around the camp fire, so I am wondering if anyone has used one of the kindle type tabs or cheapo ones for under $100 this one :

D2 Pad Tablet (D2-712-WH), Android 4.1, 7in., 4GB, WiFi, White Item 180462 Model D2-712_WH

I can get at staples for under $100.
Because I only need it for bigger font for guitar tabs, I don't need the power of the pricey models, but I do want to make sure it can at least run the UG pro app, tools app and the Chords and lyrics app.

Anyone have any success with these smaller tabs?
Phinicy
Phinicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
Phinicky

SickZ, when you are playing a gig, where do you put the I pad? Would you just put it on a music stand like you were playing in an orchestra? I'm guessing that depending on the gig and how much room they give your band, there may or may not be room for this, or the risk of some drunken dancer knocking it over?
Phinicky
Phinicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

@Phinicky:
This thread's last post (before yours) over 12 months ago.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinicky
SickZ, when you are playing a gig, where do you put the I pad? Would you just put it on a music stand like you were playing in an orchestra? I'm guessing that depending on the gig and how much room they give your band, there may or may not be room for this, or the risk of some drunken dancer knocking it over?
Phinicky

As crazysam said, this is an old thread so it's best to not revive it. But i am going to answer your question and then hopefully some moderator will close it.

As you said, it depends on the gig. Obviously since my original post i have had it for a longer time and giged with it alot more. When i am playing gigs where i have a lot of space on stage, like being hired to play at events that happen time to time, it is fine to have it on a regular music stand.

However, i have played quite a few gigs in a more orchestral setting and been playing guitar in musicals aswell, and sometimes the theater does not have a orchestral pit so we have to sit behind the stage. In this instance i have had experience with what you mentioned before, dancers and performers running around backstage and accidentally knocking it over. The solution to this problem is that i ordered a specific music stand for the iPad that allows you to lock it in place, i personally use the "Peavy Tablet Mounting System". It works fine and i have not had any problems with anyone running into it anymore.

Hope that answered your question, if you have further questions please send them as a PM to me.

Best Regards,
Sickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #14
grayson.barton.

I just started using a kindle fire HD, and it works very well. I'm considering getting a footswitch for the tablet, but it isn't bothering me too bad. There are times when I have to find a convenient time to scroll down, or up if the autoscroll is going too fast.
grayson.barton. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #15
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

I like how 1) this thread was bumped already -- and I yelled about it then AND 2) grayson.barton bumped it again.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: