Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-13-2014, 06:14 AM   #4741
janjansson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
I'd be curious in these tutorials...

P.S. Still can't figure out fry at all. I either sound like the creature from The Grudge or it just sounds like I'm whispering at talking levels

I would like to have these tutorials, too.
Coming from a total beginner, but maybe try the approach I got it, too.
I struggled trying to maintain the grudge noise while slowly putting my own voice into it (like all the youtubers said), then I tried it vice versa and it worked. I tried to imitate Marge Simpson's angry sound:
www.youtube.com/embed/I8wKDdaY5SI
and just pushed it more until I sounded like a mid puberty teenager trying to push something really heavy and then opened my mouth and voilá, there was my fry scream.
And believe me when I say that I had absolutely no clue of how to create the fry sound before. It still sucks, but I got something to work with now.
If words don't work for you, I can record the whole process for you, if you want me to?
It will sound like sh!t though.

And shellac - does this hurt you? It sounds very ... voicy. Good, but painful. I watched another video on that and a guy did his normal singing voice and added false chords into that and now I'm confused.

Last edited by janjansson : 11-13-2014 at 06:27 AM.
janjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #4742
merriman44

Adding false cord to a voice is a whole nother monster. Think some segments of Soilwork when it gets real melodic.

Dammit guys, the tutorial was long and meandering and I wasn't worried about it when I was doing it for one guy hahaha. Let me work on a new one and get it to you. I'll go over melodic false cord screaming (adding voice to the false cord, it's actually hard for me NOT to do) and regular singing distortion.

Now, keep in mind that I'm still learning and totally self-taught in the realm of screaming, so I won't sound as good as your big name professionals. Anywayz, I'll see what I can do for you good fellers.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #4743
janjansson

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
...Anywayz...

I'd really appreciate it man. Think there is no better response than the one coming from someone who tries to learn!

I uploaded another record, I know, I'm getting annoying, but still... I think I got some more voice into my screams today, so I tried to go as low as I can and then as high as I can, without shaping my mouth or moving my tongue too much.

https://soundcloud.com/janjansson/3...rogress/s-sR6Vs

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

PS: I really lol'd when listening to that record, so it's absolutely okay if you guys did too.
I'm very satisfied with some parts in the middle though, but the end is just... funny.

Last edited by janjansson : 11-13-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #4744
merriman44

NICE Janson.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #4745
darktimes1

hello again fellas

I've returned once again seeking critique and tips. this time I did both harsh and clean vocals so..lay them critiques on me, guys

https://soundcloud.com/filipe-onofr...adia-gatchalian

and in case Soundcloud really has it blocked, here's an alternative - http://picosong.com/4nSj/

also bear with me on the way it's mixed, her mic is a shure and mine...not even close lol.

thanks everyone. Darky out
darktimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #4746
merriman44

Darky, sounds natural to me. If it fits, it sticks.

Rather, I think you are actually good to go if this is the style you are going for. Thumbs up!
Old 11-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #4747
Meridian_87.5

Just a tip for all you fry screamers, include falsetto singing in your warm ups.

For my fry, I base it of a falsetto note. Today I warmed up by singing some Bon Iver (lots of falsetto stuff), and then when I started screaming the gurgle was much less pronounced and the fry lock was far easier to maintain than usual. It was smooth and strong and sounded great. The only difference in how I practiced today was that I sang a few songs in falsetto in addition to my usual warmup. It made a big difference for me.
Meridian_87.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #4748
janjansson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian_87.5
Just a tip for all you fry screamers, include falsetto singing in your warm ups.

For my fry, I base it of a falsetto note. Today I warmed up by singing some Bon Iver (lots of falsetto stuff), and then when I started screaming the gurgle was much less pronounced and the fry lock was far easier to maintain than usual. It was smooth and strong and sounded great. The only difference in how I practiced today was that I sang a few songs in falsetto in addition to my usual warmup. It made a big difference for me.

Tried it out today, took the struggle of finding the fry first from me.
Thanks for the tip, I sang Skinny Love a few times and went for a shout, it went great. Today was by far my best hour of screaming ever, and it's thanks to you!
Still can't figure out how to get rid of that disgusting high note, but maybe I just can't.
I've got a professional opera singer as a friend, she said I was a tenor, might this be the reason why I can't sound like, for example, For the fallen Dreams?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #4749
Meridian_87.5

I'm not familiar with For the Fallen Dreams, but it could be that they use false chord instea of fry for their lower stuff. You can do fry lows (listen to Ryan Strain's covers), but they have a different tone. They aren't "RAWRRR IM GONNA RIP YOUR FACE OFF RAWRRR", but they are gurgly and can be pretty awesome when done correctly. As to the high note in your screams, in order to do fry correctly and powerfully you have to have a note alone with the fry sound. Experiment a bit and see if you can affect the pitch. If not, try adjusting the balance between your voice and your fry.

The biggest thing is experimentation. That's how I learned. I'm still a newb at a lot of this, but other than feedback on this forum, all of my tonal and technical ideas came from me just trying different mouth shapes and throat positions. You won't permanently injure your voice if you are messing around and you do something wrong. If it hurts, stop for a few days then try something different.

Edit: furthermore, if you like someone's tone, spend some time screaming along and trying to emulate it. You will never be able to sound exactly like someone else, but you can figure out what you have to do to sound more like them. Keep experimenting.

Last edited by Meridian_87.5 : 11-17-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #4750
enjarcher

Hi guys,

I think I've got the basic sound down (i.e. taking a falsetto note and 'cracking' it so that it turns into a growl-like sound) but after that I hit a wall. As in, as soon as I try to increase the volume a bit the sound just doesn't work anymore. Any tips for this? Thanks!
enjarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #4751
Meridian_87.5

Don't worry about volume. Honestly. I know that right now it probably sounds weak and very quiet; that is perfectly normal and ok. At first the basic pure fry sound will be very quiet and weak. Volume comes when you can project it better. More pushing =/= more volume. In fact it's the opposite. Spend a good month or two just getting that fry lock down so it becomes natural. Then you can project it with your chest voice. Pushing the fry does not make it sounds better or louder. It is a very delicate balance of airflow and throat position.

Mine are still just above talking volume and I've been working on it for about 8 months, but I'm developing the tone and the fry lock still. As it becomes more natural, you will learn to support it better. Focus entirely on getting that tone without worrying about volume. That just comes with time.

It seems counterintuitive, but the more you can control the little bit of air you are pushing out, it'll be much louder than if you push out more air.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #4752
janjansson

Bla-bla-bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian_87.5
"RAWRRR IM GONNA RIP YOUR FACE OFF RAWRRR"

Thanks for the tip man. I did try to sing to Northlane, and my lows even sound pretty cool to that, probably because I do them with False Chords.

What I do now is starting with a high note and try to lower it and this really works!
But no matter what I do, there is a high pitch that always stays.
I'd be satisfied with every step I took so far, which I mainly did because of your tips here, if it wasn't for that overtone (is that a word? ).

I need to add something to this so you guys won't get upset about me repeating myself.
I did experiment with it, I went every day straight since getting my first question here, and I advanced and improved (a lot, I think).
I am very satisfied with distortion and voicyness in my shouts, I can do words now and different pitches. But when I listen to Ryan Strain for example... he only has these two components, while for me there is that third one, a high nasal tone, which I seem to can't get rid of, no matter what I do.
And whenever I try to start off with a lower note, I automatically switch to a falsetto note before I shout, and I think it is this note that stays.

Is getting rid of that really a matter of practice, or do I have to accept it and try to manipulate it so that I like it?
Is maybe the way that I go wrong and I should try out another approach?

Would another record help you out? I could try to cover Masquerade from Northlane, because it has that part where the shouter of Stray from the Path comes in, which I can imitate perfectly (at least that's what my friend said. ).

Last edited by janjansson : 11-18-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #4753
Meridian_87.5

There will always be an overtone in fry screams, that's what makes it a fry scream. If you don't like it, keep working with it and trying new things. Just be aware that fry has lots of overtone notes by definition.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #4754
Kimino394

I'm back, fools. Swag, yolo, all that. *dead*

@janjansson: Omg, I love it dude. I did giggle a bit, but that was from only the first few seconds. I'm also trying to figure out fry, though it sounds like YOU want to do it with head voice and.. You know.. So you sound human? I guess? Anyway, I think the reason your screams sound terrified, rather terrifying is your volume. Screaming, even in fry (I assume. I'm not good at fry yet) is different from yelling or shouting. It feels completely different. Do your lows again, since they were awesome, then FEEL how the vibrations happened. It may not feel like it at first, but they were very different from your highs. Try to make that feeling climb a bit.
Also note, if anything I says contradicts with what the others here say, just know that I'm pretty much completely self taught. I don't believe in Melissa Cross, and I've never had someone show me in person how to growl. The biggest help I've received is probably Merriman, who makes awesome tutorials.

Good luck, keep at it, and believe me you're not being annoying. Should have seen my first few days here, damn.

@all: So I'm not too sure if I've improved alot at my screaming from where I started. HOWEVER, I know that I can currently go from 0 to 100 in where I feel I'm doing well for ME a LOT more quickly, and I no longer get tired or sore the next day. I feel the REASON for this is because my vocal coach (Because I also do clean singing) has finally allowed me to start doing intermediate vocal exercises and, more importantly, intermediate warm ups. To everyone who doesn't do them yet: WARM UP! Hum for five minutes, sing a clean, simple song. Hump a dead moose.

@all again: I said I would return once I felt I had improved my lows or/and figured out how to do fry. I THINK I may have discovered both. I'm not mixing any differently, and I'm using the same mic. All I've changed is my volume, and how it feels. The sound is sort of built.. Like right under and behind where my nose is? Instead of around the voice box and at the top of my chest. ..Make sense? D:

So this first link is me freestyling in what I think is fry. Is it fry? I think it's fry.
Also, besides being fry, does anyone know any bands that use a sound similar to this? Or.. Is the crap factor too high? I'm fabulous.
Kimino's possible fry

And then next is the lows.. Which still frustrate the shit out of me. This isn't the sound I'm looking for, but I think it might be closer. ..Anyone think I might be getting there? Incase the lyrics I used at the end of the clip didn't make it obvious, I'm emulating White Chapels Phil Bozeman. ..Which is probably what EVERY DeathCore vocalist does.
Yeah, DeathCore son. I put death right in your core.
Right. In.
Your core.
The emporors new groo- Kimino's new lows
Kimino394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:13 AM   #4755
shellac5

You can control the amount of overtone in a scream, try moving in and out of your fry sound to a clean note to see. Depending on what sound you're going for you can almost remove all of the high end and keep the overtone roughly the same with note you are using. but if you want a more metalcore type of screams you still need the high end to sound real, but it doesn't really stand out at all in the mix.

Last edited by shellac5 : 11-24-2014 at 04:05 AM.
shellac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:41 AM   #4757
Kimino394

Start? XD
Old 11-25-2014, 02:05 AM   #4758
merriman44

Well, I don't know. It's passable for sure, but you have a great base going, that's all I meant!

No offense intended. I still can't even get that sound, let alone something resembling a low.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #4759
Kimino394

Uh.. I wasn't offended or anything, I'm just not sure what you mean by "start". Confusion is the problem uwah!
*grunt*
Gonna keep working on it.

Rate This Thread: