User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #81
AllJudasPriest
UG's Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
Which is the reason that you'll probably never find a true Jazz/Metal fusion album. Metal is a much more static genre when it comes to structure, where as Jazz is fluid. It's incredibly difficult to mix the two in the truest sense.
If I'm reading this correctly, then no. While Jazz may be about improvisation, but its fluiditycomes from how the lead is played.

You see Metal is about primitive riffs to form a rhythm. Jazz is all about swing and chords to get rhythm.

Jazz centers around chords. The rhythm, fills, licks and solos all center around chords and strange time signatures, much the same as Reggae.

Now, try playing a song with next to no overdrive on your guitar, never getting louder than the five other band members. Then with your guitar, which has been rendered acoustic, playing at a 284bpm , you have to play C#7sus4, Bbmin9, Faug, D9sus/13. You also have to do this without making a mistake and keep in perfect time, playing these chords by flexing your hand as if you were playing a bass or classical acoustic.

Tl;dr? Fine, I'll make it simple. Don't embarrass yourself trying OP. For, when it comes to skill and sophistication, you got Jazz and then eventually comes everything else
AllJudasPriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #82
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
Which is the reason that you'll probably never find a true Jazz/Metal fusion album. Metal is a much more static genre when it comes to structure, where as Jazz is fluid. It's incredibly difficult to mix the two in the truest sense.

This is why you get so many metal bands taking influence from (an immature interpretation of) classical/baroque music. The results might be cringe worthy to most non-metalhead classical fans, but it makes sense, being tightly orchestrated with just occasional cadenza. That, and the fact that any guitarist who discovers the harmonic minor scale thinks theyre the coolest thing since Paganini or Blackmore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllJudasPriest
Jazz centers around chords. The rhythm, fills, licks and solos all center around chords and strange time signatures, much the same as Reggae.

Now, try playing a song with next to no overdrive on your guitar, never getting louder than the five other band members. Then with your guitar, which has been rendered acoustic, playing at a 284bpm , you have to play C#7sus4, Bbmin9, Faug, D9sus/13. You also have to do this without making a mistake and keep in perfect time, playing these chords by flexing your hand as if you were playing a bass or classical acoustic.

What are you even talking about?
And jazz is as much about melody as the rhythm, and playing around with that melody to your hearts content.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.

Last edited by Hydra150 : 05-21-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #83
E7#9
Custom User Title

Quote:
If I'm reading this correctly, then no. While Jazz may be about improvisation, but its fluiditycomes from how the lead is played.

You see Metal is about primitive riffs to form a rhythm. Jazz is all about swing and chords to get rhythm.

Tl;dr? Fine, I'll make it simple. Don't embarrass yourself trying OP. For, when it comes to skill and sophistication, you got Jazz and then eventually comes everything else

There is so much wrong in that post. It's almost a troll calibre post. Not everything is wrong but...
E7#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #84
theogonia777
Professional Musician

It reminds me of something that a jazz guitar teacher that has never listened to any sort of music other than mainstream dad rock, blues, and Top 40 would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #85
Bazz22

Quote:

You must be trolling.
Bazz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #86
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
It reminds me of something that a jazz guitar teacher that has never listened to any sort of music other than mainstream dad rock, blues, and Top 40 would.

... say
Quote:
Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #87
AllJudasPriest
UG's Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7#9
There is so much wrong in that post. It's almost a troll calibre post. Not everything is wrong but...
I'm not attempting to troll at all. If I am mistaken, why not just point out the errors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
Since this appears to be about me, the fault with your logic is that I'm eclectic and have listened to much more than what you pointed out. Try again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
What are you even talking about?
And jazz is as much about melody as the rhythm, and playing around with that melody to your hearts content.
Apparently I was stating the same as you, on the reliance of melody and rhythm.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #88
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Apparently I was stating the same as you, on the reliance of melody and rhythm.

There's something to be said for being succinct and, y'know, not babbling incoherently about time signatures and for some reason reeling off a chord progression and then varnishing in a corrosive layer of elitism.
Quote:
Old 05-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #89
AllJudasPriest
UG's Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
There's something to be said for being succinct and, y'know, not babbling incoherently about time signatures and for some reason reeling off a chord progression and then varnishing in a corrosive layer of elitism.
Fair enough... Sorry
Old 05-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #90
Its So Easy
Dang apostrophes.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Its So Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #91
'Leviathan'
IAWTCIRD

I can't be assed going through all the pages, so I'm not sure if this has been posted yet. It's a pretty great album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornik
I look like an alligator.

~☣~
'Leviathan' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #92
Burgery
confusion

Location: an outward projected image of a pokémon centre for the soul
ermagerd leviathan
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #93
'Leviathan'
IAWTCIRD

Hey guys. Long time no see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornik
I look like an alligator.

~☣~
'Leviathan' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #94
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its So Easy

A friend of mine is in this years One O'clock as Lead Trumpet. He's only a Sophomore in college...

Try "Ice Nine" from the same group.

show

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckfush
^ Your avatar has never been so uncomfortably suitable for your post content.

DiminishedFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #95
theogonia777
Professional Musician

Quote:
Since this appears to be about me, the fault with your logic is that I'm eclectic and have listened to much more than what you pointed out. Try again...

I'm not saying that you are. I'm just saying that that is who I would expect such a statement from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #96
Captain Panda
Warning: Contains Nuts

Try some of this. I dont know whether its what youre looking for but its the first thing that came to mind.

Last edited by Captain Panda : 05-21-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Captain Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #97
donender
Get back to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7#9
Oh dude I forgot to mention; check out Billy Cobham as well. He's actually a drummer, but his fusion stuff is really great.

Check out his album Spectrum:

I second this. Almost forgot Cobham, actually.

There have been some other good suggestions too, like Schofield, and earlier Slipknot is a lot more varied. Diablo Swing Orchestra are a kind of strange mix of rock/metal mixed with swing, with some crazy operatic vocals thrown in. Check out Estradasphere too, they are kind of ****ed, but there is some jazz sounding stuff in there.

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
donender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #98
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
If I'm reading this correctly, then no. While Jazz may be about improvisation, but its fluidity comes from how the lead is played.

Fluid wasn't the right word to use I don't think.

I don't know much about Jazz past what I've listened to and what I've listened to is almost exclusively Bebop. I was just always under the impression that Jazz centered around improvisation more so than odd time signatures are crazy extended chords. I guess I should listen to more traditional stuff.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #99
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Hey, where the fuck you at, TS?
Don't just throw a vague request/question out there and leave is to fight over it, what's the deal, what is it you were actually looking for/why, you hear anything you like or what?
Or has the jazzfunk infected your brain and knocked you into a comatose state - don't worry, it's fairly common, and not necessarily life threatening.
Quote:
Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #100
MetalMullet

Maybe try some of Steven Wilson's work. Here is one song from his latest record

I don't know how jazzy it is though.
MetalMullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: