Search:

Old 11-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #381
Nelshizzle
Blood, guts, guns, cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Off Jill
The Klan supported Obama.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/kkk.asp

The world can be such a terrible place at times, but keep your head up and keep pushing forward.
Nelshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #382
Carnivean
UG Board King

Quote:
How did Mitt Romney and the Republican Party blow it all so badly?

The short answer is that the GOP insisted on pushing backward-looking social issues in a country that is increasingly libertarian.

The White House, a Senate majority, and strengthened control in the House of Representatives was not simply within reach for the Party of Lincoln this election cycle. It was gift-wrapped and adorned with pretty little bows. President Barack Obama presided over the worst economy in memory—a situation greatly exacerbated by the very policies he implemented to restart the economy; U.S. foreign policy is a shambles and our standing even (especially?) in the countries we “liberated” recently from autocracy is plummeting; and a record number of voters had disaffiliated from the Democratic Party since 2008. The president was pulling bad numbers right up to the eve of the election.

And yet Obama won re-election easily and the Democrats gained a net two seats in the Senate (including wins in Missouri and Indiana that should have been easy Republican victories). That’s because the GOP, despite its endlessly repeated mantra of limited government, is wildly out of touch with the majority of Americans who consistently say they want the government to do less, spend less, and not enforce a single set of values.

There’s no question that on broadly defined social issues such as immigration, marriage equality, and drug policy, Barack Obama has been terrible. He’s deported record numbers of immigrants and his late-campaign exemption of some younger undocumented immigrants was one of the most cycnical policy changes imaginable. Yet he managed to increase his take of the Latino vote precisely because Mitt Romney and the Republicans are even worse (at least rhetorically) on the issue. Romney called for “self-deportation” during the Republican primary season and attacked Gov. Rick Perry—who pulls upward of 40 percent of Latino voters in Texas—for his mildly pro-immigrant stance (in his 2004 re-election bid, George W. Bush received around 40 percent on the Latino vote). If Republican representatives such as Steve King (R-Iowa) continue to talk about immigrants as akin to dogs and livestock, there’s no way that the party can expect Hispanics to vote for them. Or non-Hispanics who are rightly disturbed by such attitudes.

Similar dynamics hold true on issues such as drug policy and marriage equality, each of which passed handily in various state ballot initiatives. Obama has raided medical marijuana dispensaries that are legal under state law without a second thought. Now that Washington and Colorado have legalized not just medical marijuana but all pot, the GOP should stay true to its valorization of federalism and the states as “laboratories of democracy” and call for an end to the federal drug war. The same goes for gay marriage, which is supported by a majority of Americans and passed in Maryland, Maine, and Washington state—even as an anti-marriage equality amendment to Minnesota’s state constitution went down to defeat. It’s fully consistent for small-government Republicans—who rarely miss an opportunity to talk about returning “power” to the states—to champion these developments. As Romney has put it, "Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that’s the right direction."

The GOP has a major problem with women voters, who perceive it as either hostile or indifferent to questions about reproductive freedom and choice. Obama won women's votes by 12 percentage points this time around, about the same as he did in 2008 (which suggests this year's result is not a stray indicator). There’s no question that the media and Democrats made a huge deal out of Todd Akin’s bizarre biological disquisitions and Richard Mourdock’s principled commitment to an extreme pro-life position. But the reason such statements resonated with voters is because they confirm the idea of the GOP as an anti-sex, anti-abortion party that routinely says the government is awful at everything it does but should have the final say over whether women can get abortions. That’s a contradictory message that is also wildly at odds with the 77 percent of Americans who believe that abortion should be legal under at least some circumstances.

Told you bitches Obama won because of his social issue stances, despite sucking ass as a president.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #383
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean
Told you bitches Obama won because of his social issue stances, despite sucking ass as a president.

your personal blog of lies isn't evidence
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #384
Goldenfire88
Registered Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk
your personal blog of lies isn't evidence

I hear what he says all the time. God it's annoying.
ISP Noise Decimator
Need a new amp. Any ideas? PM me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
Either you got the wrong thread or the gays in your state are very well hung.

Goldenfire88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #385
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Carnivean, I defy you to name a single issue that the president deals with on behalf of the populace that isn't a social issue.
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #386
Lion_Slicer
wild card

Thank you, rest of America. Why did I vote for Obama? Weighing his pros and cons, he comes out a few points up. Many of his policies have helped me and my family.

Why not Romney? Look at the last few pages of this thread: there are people arguing about whether or not REAGAN had effective economic policies. If we haven't decided by now, it's safe to say that economics is a field far removed from absolute science. Thus, no matter how good a businessman Romney may be, there is just no way he could guarantee a faster recovery. Especially considering that with the EU in the state it is in, the recession was never a uniquely American phenomenon. Thus I rarely vote on economic policies; to me it's all just flipping coins. I studied enough economics to know I'll never truly understand it enough to be president. I'll vote on things I understand, and I don't think I need to explain why Obama is much preferred on social and foreign policy issues.

Plus there's the fact that Romney has always been nothing more than a mannequin for the Republican party to dress up in their most fashionable policies. He never seems to have a clear position of his own. Ryan, as detestable as I find him, at least sticks by his values.

I also want to point out that TunerAddict is totally correct in that mobilizing apathetic voters is FAR more crucial than convincing undecided voters. Mostly I just want to brag; you can trace almost half of Obama's victory margin in Ohio to the 5% increase in voter turnout in my own Cuyahoga county (Cleveland).

One last thing that needs to be said as often as possible: Florida, you suck.
Lion_Slicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #387
iwannabesedated
UG's King Sombra

^
iwannabesedated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #388
ron666

Yes, Obama indeed won the election, but the problem is that the Republicans still control the House of Representatives, so this essentially means that the deadlock will continue.

The reason that there is no action is because of this deadlock. Nothing gets done. And we are headed over the fiscal cliff by January.

ron666
ron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #389
ErikLensherr
Vintage Edition

I hope that Obama's promise to veto any bill extending the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy is real (and I think it is) because I'd honestly rather see us careen off the fiscal cliff than let those ****ers dictate policy terms anymore.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #390
iwannabesedated
UG's King Sombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron666
Yes, Obama indeed won the election, but the problem is that the Republicans still control the House of Representatives, so this essentially means that the deadlock will continue.

The reason that there is no action is because of this deadlock. Nothing gets done. And we are headed over the fiscal cliff by January.

ron666

The Republicans can't get any more political mileage from doing nothing. Obama is already re-elected and if nothing gets done in the next two years it will be obvious who's fault it is. If the GOP was smart, they'd try and work a deal out with the Democrats, at the very least look like they're responsible adults.

Also, the "fiscal cliff" is overblown.
iwannabesedated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #391
due 07
trill clinton

Democratic house candidates got way more votes than their counterparts this season. The only reason they don't have a majority right now is because of republican gerrymandering of voting districts after the 2010 elections.

Last edited by due 07 : 11-11-2012 at 11:29 PM.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #392
ron666

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabesedated
The Republicans can't get any more political mileage from doing nothing. Obama is already re-elected and if nothing gets done in the next two years it will be obvious who's fault it is. If the GOP was smart, they'd try and work a deal out with the Democrats, at the very least look like they're responsible adults.

Also, the "fiscal cliff" is overblown.

Yeah I agree with you, it is high time that the Democrats and Republicans started working together to get something done.

But your comment about the "fiscal cliff" being overblown makes me wonder. I think that the cuts will total close to $1 trillion dollars if there is not agreement. This is a pretty huge sum of money that will suddenly disappear from the economy. Such a huge loss could easily push the U.S. back into a severe recession.

Could you please explain your comment?

ron666
ron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #393
Hydra150
UG Spammer

^do you only ever check (and then bump) threads you post in like once a fortnight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichikurosaki
wat no maybe 14 at yougnest

It's a Sein
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: