Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
boltsfan23

Beginner here, don't really know what to learn from here + some noob questions

Hey guys thanks for reading this,
I just started playing guitar this past thanksgiving and I really love it. I've been depressed for the last two or so years so these last couple months I've pretty much been playing nonstop... maybe like 8 hours a day.

I've kind of hit a wall though... as in I have no idea what to commit myself to learning. I know a lot of chords, and can play the pentatonic, blues, and major scales all over in whatever key. I can play some songs too. Ultimately what I want to do is get good at improvising and making my own music. I'm not taking lessons so I was hoping some of you could help.

My questions for you guys are:
- Any advice on where to go from here?
- I don't really know any licks, should I just start learning a ton of them and then like find out how to play them in different scale positions or whatever?
- How did you learn guitar? As in like the scales, modes, arpeggios, other stuff I don't even know about... there seems like so much to learn.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your answers!
boltsfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

First off, modes are basically irrelevant. Definitely don't even think about them for quite a while. They can be very confusing, and without an extremely thorough understanding of theory, they're really not worth your time. Once you get your theory up to par, then by all means look into them. But not yet.

Second, get a teacher. A good, knowledgeable teacher who can adequately convey information is invaluable to any musician.

Third, learn the notes of the fretboard, and learn scales as a series of notes an intervals. That will be very helpful in the long run.

Fourth, learn theory. This is not actually a requirement to be able to play guitar, but it is highly recommended by myself and basically everyone else on this site. As well as most musicians in general. It will help you learn things by ear, understand the music, and also it will help with writing your own material.

Fifth, start learning songs. Find a song you like that's not too crazy and get to work.

Sixth, listen to more music. This will expand your style, and give you new ideas for your own songs.

Seventh, play with other musicians. You will have some fun and will learn to adapt your playing to fit with someone elses.

Eighth, play with a drum track or metronome. You may become one of the most technically correct player who can play extremely well, but all of that is useless if you can't play in time.

And finally, just play. The more you play, the more accustomed to the guitar your hands will get. It will feel easier.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.

Last edited by Junior#1 : 02-05-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
chainsawguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan23
- Any advice on where to go from here?

Sure, what music do you want to play? It's pretty useless learning a tonne of chords and scales etc. if you're not using them in a practical way!

Junior#1's idea about listening to new music is pretty much spot on. Think about it, did you pick up the guitar to sit there memorising scales, or to play music that you love?

I don't know, but I bet it's the latter.

The question shouldn't be: "where do I go from here?"; it should be more like: "how do I get to the position where I can play the songs I want to play, or where I can solo and make the sounds I want to make?"

Unless you have this destination in mind, all you can really do is wander around aimlessly learning bits here and there.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Deadpool_25

I'm just an intermediate player but the first question, like chainsaw says, is: what music do you want to play?

You probably get different recommendations depending on what you're playing. Acoustic or electric? Folk, pop, jazz, fusion, funk, rock, metal, etc?
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
boltsfan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsawguitar
Sure, what music do you want to play? It's pretty useless learning a tonne of chords and scales etc. if you're not using them in a practical way!

Junior#1's idea about listening to new music is pretty much spot on. Think about it, did you pick up the guitar to sit there memorising scales, or to play music that you love?

I don't know, but I bet it's the latter.

The question shouldn't be: "where do I go from here?"; it should be more like: "how do I get to the position where I can play the songs I want to play, or where I can solo and make the sounds I want to make?"

Unless you have this destination in mind, all you can really do is wander around aimlessly learning bits here and there.

True, my first week with the guitar all I did was play scales. Lately, what I like do is put chords together, then make up some licks between chord changes. I'll just like think about what I want it to sound like then mess around on the guitar until it comes out like I want.

I really love the way Jimi Hendrix plays. When you listen to him play live and he's playing a song like Hey Joe, he never plays it the same way twice. Like he's always messing around between chord changes you know? I guess that's something I want to be able to do...
boltsfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
RedMist

If you want to play like Hendrix, I would stick to your 8 hour a day regimen.
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: